Thread: what is the 3g band for O2

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

what is the 3g band for O2

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what is the band supported by O2 for 3g ? is it the same as AT&T in the USA 850/1900 ?

thank you

Device(s)
    I9000
    Carrier(s)
    Orange UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Its 2100 like the rest of Europe.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert83
    Its 2100 like the rest of Europe.
    2100 is, from what I understand, a third generation (3g?) frequency that's is becoming more popular but may soon be outdated by later frequencies.

However, for plain orderinary voice communication, most of the European carriers 2nd generation (2g) frequencies are 900 and 1800 mhz....the AT&T phone with 850/1900 is totally useless in Europe.

For the time being and in the near future, to be sure of European reception what you would need is a gsm phone containing both 900 and 1800 mhz.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
    2100 is, from what I understand, a third generation (3g?) frequency that's is becoming more popular but may soon be outdated by later frequencies.

However, for plain orderinary voice communication, most of the European carriers 2nd generation (2g) frequencies are 900 and 1800 mhz....the AT&T phone with 850/1900 is totally useless in Europe.

For the time being and in the near future, to be sure of European reception what you would need is a gsm phone containing both 900 and 1800 mhz.

thanks for the info but I was looking for something a little different. I was looking to buy a phone from europe that will work in USA with att on 3g. In europe the choice is so much bigger and much nicer phones that come out months and months before the ATT version of the same phone. I was looking to find a Europe based company using for 3g 850/1900 bands so I could buy the phone from, I am tired of waiting and waiting by the time att brings a specific phone europe has already a better version we are alway catching up....

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by decebal
    thanks for the info but I was looking for something a little different. I was looking to buy a phone from europe that will work in USA with att on 3g. In europe the choice is so much bigger and much nicer phones that come out months and months before the ATT version of the same phone. I was looking to find a Europe based company using for 3g 850/1900 bands so I could buy the phone from, I am tired of waiting and waiting by the time att brings a specific phone europe has already a better version we are alway catching up....

Sorry but I think all the European networks use 2100 for 3g. At least in the EU.

What do you mean tired of waiting?? You guys are getting the Pre well before us (OK on Sprint) but it could be the end of the year before we see it. We have no chance of getting a version of the Blackberry 9630, and you got the first iPhone a full 6 months before us.