Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Dropping your landline

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score

Dropping your landline

(without mentioning any specific carrier, to keep the topic general enough for the lounge)

have you tried dropping your landline, and putting some of the savings towards a higher minute cellphone plan?

If so, did it work out? What were the drawbacks of not having a landline?
    If it didn't work out, what drove you back to a landline?

I've been thinking about doing it, and here are some pros and cons I've been considering:

+ Always having my main phone with me wherever I go
    + Easier to turn off when I don't want to be bothered
    + Fewer phones, chargers, wiring to deal with
    + Possibly less telemarketers, politicos and charities calling me

- Concerns about exceeding alotted minutes
    - Cost
    - Dependency on one device working

My cell works throughout the house, even in the basement, so there is no problem about reception at home.

Your thoughts?

Device(s)
    Android(Thundetbolt)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I didn't like it.

Device(s)
    Casio
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenagainster
    (without mentioning any specific carrier, to keep the topic general enough for the lounge)

have you tried dropping your landline, and putting some of the savings towards a higher minute cellphone plan?

If so, did it work out?
    We dropped our landlines in October of 2001. Not just personal lines but our business line also.

Everything has been good for the last 7+ years and I don’t see any reason why we would be going back.

Device(s)
    Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am married, and have 3 children ages 15yo, 13yo and 9yo. So we have 5 people on our plan. We don't have a phone phone. Prior to Friends and Family we had 4,000 minutes a month and came close to using those each month. Now with F&F, I was able to drop down to 1400 minutes and we use about 1000 of those per month. So due to F&F, and not having a home phone we are now saving over $150 a month.

For us, 95% of the people we call are VZW, the other 5% go into F&F. There is no reason at all for us to have a home phone.

Device(s)
    Note4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Ive been Dared: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700)

as soon as my contract with the other half Network i am dropping mine. i signed a 1 year contract to get home/ld/dsl for $45 a month but we rarely use it anymore . they said all my extra features were included,even though it was written kinda grayish, and surprise surprise they were not so my phone bill did not end up dropping but $2 a month. i will be dropping it after the contract is up unless they offer me phone/dsl/cable for under $100 like before they put fios in my neighborhood
    the United States is the land of the FREE because of the BRAVE!! Thank You to all who serve or have served and their families in the United States armed services!! Your sacrifices are NOT in vain may God continue to bless America
    For God so loves YOU, He gave His only Son....John 3:16

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dropped my landline a few months ago and replaced it with an additional line on my family share plan. The only drawback for me is not having unlimited local and toll-free calling but that's really only been a minor issue for me.

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias2 U750
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    We rarely (and I mean rarely) used our landline phone. It seemed the only people who called the landline were telemarketers. So when we moved in 2006 we decided to try using only our cell phones with the shared plan. We have 4 phones on our shared plan and we still only use about 250 minutes each month.

For us this has been great because we were paying $30+ per month for a phone that we never used. This is much more convenient and cost effective for us.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I was very hesitant to drop ours, but once we did it, I was relieved. My wife and I mostly call VZW - VZW so we are on a 700 minute family plan. Most of the calls we make are weekends/nights, so the longer it has been, the less worrisome it is. Most of the people I actually text anyway, and she does also, so there have been months where we use under 250 minutes.

I would never have another landline again.
    Current Device: Apple iPhone 5S
    Space Grey - 32GB

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We only keep ours due to having dsl otherwise we have contemplated on cancelling the landline. We were able to do it for a year before (like 7 years ago though)
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Device(s)
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier(s)
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    I'd love to, I really would. I get about 20 calls a week on it from collections agencies for people that used to have the number that apparently owe a lot of different companies money. And also, it's been call after call recently for air conditioning repair, which is useless seeing as how my house is 2 months old, and I've only been using it for about 3 weeks now.

Unfortunately, I can't drop the land line because of the house's alarm system.

Telephonically NEVER satisfied.

Device(s)
    Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nhanson
    Wirelessly posted (Orange Boulder: utstarc711/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We only keep ours due to having dsl otherwise we have contemplated on cancelling the landline. We were able to do it for a year before (like 7 years ago though)
    Do you have your DSL through AT&T? They say they have DSL now, that does not need home phone service.

Device(s)
    Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRupp
    Unfortunately, I can't drop the land line because of the house's alarm system.

What do you need an house alarm for, that is just an expensive way to let the police know to come take a burglary report.

Device(s)
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier(s)
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ok4a56
    What do you need an house alarm for, that is just an expensive way to let the police know to come take a burglary report.
    Besides the insurance benefits, burglars aren't gonna wait around to see how many things they can get out of the house before the cops show up. Houses are much different than cars. Also, since I've been burglarized in the past, it helps me sleep a lot more comfortably at night.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid X (current), Motorola Driod A855 (2009-2011), Blackberry Storm 9530 (2008-2009)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless since 1997 (PrimeCo)
    Feedback Score
    I've been on my own (aka not living with parents) for the last 5 years and I have never ever had a landline, nor have I ever felt I needed one.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I dropped my landline when I dropped DSL. I have 3 people on a family plan, two of us heavy testers/blackberries. No issues.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast