Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sony Ericsson W995 Unboxing Pictures & Review

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Plemix.com
    Feedback Score

Sony Ericsson W995 Unboxing Pictures & Review

Sony Ericsson’s W995 is at the top of the company’s game feature-wise, blending in Walkman and Camera phone. Rivaling against Nokia’s N86, what does W995 have in its pocket to go up against the new offspring of one of the world’s best-selling series? We are about to find out.

The package includes the phone itself, a battery, a charger, a data cable, a stereo handsfree and a user’s guide.

The phone is an achiever in terms of how compact it is. It measures 97 x 49 x 15 mm and fit into any pockets easily. It weighs only 113g, gleefully portable. However, the metallic body feels expensive and solid in hands. The 2.6-inch QVGA screen is the top notch in the Sony Ericsson feature phones portfolio. It delivers even under broad daylight.

The design of the navigation pad is pretty hip. The metallic circular design resembles a turntable which fits the Walkman theme perfectly.

The keypad is satisfactory with ample space between keys to make sure you hardly mispress them even when you are not looking.

This is the view of the top. We have the stereo speakerphone and the 3.5mm audio jack. (cue the chorus of angels please!) 3.5MM JACK, Sony Ericsson finally realizes their sin and repents!!!!

The phone has an expandable memory up to 16GB by M2. What you see in the picture is the indication of where the M2 slot is. Yes, just the indication, not the slot itself. You still have to remove the back cover to get there.

At the back, you can also find a kickstand which is good when you have no helping hand to help take your pictures. But you have to release the kickstand every time you want to remove the back cover.

W995 not a Cyber-shot device but it can come neck in neck with the series flagship C905. It is 8.1 megapixel with LED flash and autofocus, complemented by face detection, geotagging, exposure metering, macro photograph and so on.

When you slide open the phone, you will find a monogram of dots which looks cool. Sony Ericsson does pay attention to details.

There’s in an accelerator installed and the display can rotate automatically, not news.

The music control is a decent surprise. You can access your music player here without going through the menu. The keys illuminate when music is on.

You can choose between three menu interfaces. This is the classic one.

The handset is equipped with GPS and you can find your routes with the help of Google Maps.

Sony Ericsson has upped her ante for this one: an easy-to-organize music player with outstanding sound quality, an 8MP camera, WiFi compatibility and GPS. It can easily overshadow its peers under the same roof of Sony Ericsson.
    We love Mobile Phones
    www.plemix.com
    Call Us at North America: 1-425-749-4268 or 1-206-973-7019
    Australia: 1-800-094833 or +61-390018601
    UK: 0-800-680-0686

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    that is a sharp phone! Thank you for the review and thank you for the pictures.

HoFo member number 284654

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great review and pics. I love it when you guys post those!!

Device(s)
    IMate Jam 850, KJAM
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    thank you very much. wonderful job

Device(s)
    Progressive Black W995a
    Carrier(s)
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for doing this. I think this is the very first unboxing photos of the W995 ever shown.

I know that it probably doesn't matter, but what kind of headset does the phone include?

I mean is it just a standard 3.5mm headset, or a fastport headset?

I ask because I was wondering if the phone could accept calls just using a 3.5mm headset/headphones and use the phone's mic.

P L E A S E D O N O T C L I C K O N T H E I M A G E A B O V E !

Device(s)
    Motorola Milestone - AT&T
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    wow... im impressed. great phone and a VERY well done review! good job!

Device(s)
    Xperia Mini Pro (SK17a)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randomtask77
    ...I know that it probably doesn't matter, but what kind of headset does the phone include?

I mean is it just a standard 3.5mm headset, or a fastport headset?

I ask because I was wondering if the phone could accept calls just using a 3.5mm headset/headphones and use the phone's mic.
    It'd be nice to have both types included, resembling the HPM 2-piece headsets. That is assuming the W995 has a 4-pole (L, R, Ground, Mic) 3.5mm outlet instead of a 3-pole? i couldn't find any info/specs on whether it has the former or the latter....

Feedback Score

A Superior Walkman Phone

The main attraction of the Sony Ericsson W995 is its outstanding music functions. The phone is integrated with a Walkman music player. You can store and listen to your favorite tracks on the phone. You can also enjoy viewing your album art covers on the phone’s screen while you hear music. The 8 GB memory card ensures there will always be sufficient space for storing your music tracks.

The bass and clear stereo facets produce crystal clear sound. The audio quality is further augmented by the inbuilt stereo speaker systems of the phone. Track ID is a music recognition feature; Sense Me is a music type selector attribute. The phone has a shake control facet so you can shake the handset in one direction to either change the track or increase the volume.

Apart from these staples of a walkman phone there is a brand new attribute in the Sony Ericsson W995- called the Media Go. This feature will automatically format downloaded music, video and images to make them compatible with the phone. The phone has Bluetooth Stereo A2DP connectivity which means you can connect the phone to a Bluetooth wireless headset. The music providing mettle of the phone is enhanced by the presence of an inbuilt radio that supports FM radio tuning.

Device(s)
    X10, N1, Aino (Sucks), W995a, W705a, N79, C905a, W300, E71 coming soon...
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can this phone display the song lyrics if they are included in the MP3 tags? I already pre-ordered W995a for it's music capability but I am so hooked to the lyrics now on iPhone that I have over 500 songs with full lyrics tagged.

Device(s)
    Droid Razr HD Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Red face CNET Review of SE w995a

This is from the CNET review:

http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/...-33527289.html

Apparently the volume is low, and call quality is variable! Hopefully this was a test unit and by the time this model hit the market SE has taken care of these problems.

Here is a paragraph from that review you can read the full review from the link above.

Performance
    We tested the quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) world phone in San Francisco using AT&T service. Call quality was fine, but it could be variable. Though voices sounded natural, the signal seemed to waver, particularly in buildings, and we noticed some occasional static and "GSM buzz." The volume level was also lower than we'd prefer. We had to turn up the phone to the highest level if we wanted to hear in noisy environments.

Ardy

Feedback Score
    Hopefully this was a test unit and by the time this model hit the market SE has taken care of these problems.
    sonnerie portable gratuite

Feedback Score

call handling or reception issues

There weren't any call handling or reception issues with the Sony Ericsson W995. Voice quality is great in both the earpiece and speakerphone.

Smart Dial is a great boost to usability. It looks up contacts whose numbers contain the digits you have typed or whose names begin with the corresponding letters.

The tabbed Call Log application should be familiar if you've used a fairly recent Sony Ericsson handset. It displays calls in four tabs, including All, Answered (Received), Dialed and Missed. When there are several calls made to or from a single contact, only the last one gets displayed.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    The black w995 has got to be one of the best looking SE phones ever. Wish the back was a bit simpler, though. It looks way too cluttered.

Device(s)
    Droid Razr HD Maxx
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Apparently battery life is not as good as SE claims. PC magazine's review mentions it like this:

Battery life was disappointing at just 3 hours 36 minutes; the quoted "up to 9 hours" must refer to use of the phone in EDGE mode, not 3G.

Here is the full review link if you're interested:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349057,00.asp

Ardy

Device(s)
    X10, N1, Aino (Sucks), W995a, W705a, N79, C905a, W300, E71 coming soon...
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rockon
    Smart Dial is a great boost to usability. It looks up contacts whose numbers contain the digits you have typed or whose names begin with the corresponding letters.
    Smart Dial was there in several SE phones now for a while. My almost two year old W910i, and my wife's W760a has it too and I am so used to that feature along with SE's well organized call logs that I couldn't stand Nokia N-series phones which lack Smart Dial and have a buggy call-logs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast