Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Misc. Pre News and Tips

Device(s)
    Sprint: iPhone 45-32
    Feedback Score
    Palm Opening Pre Experience Center in LA Mall

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/6...er-in-la-mall/
    Posted By: Ryan Kairer Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:20:52 AM
    Palm is preparing to open a Palm Pre Experience Center in an upscale shopping mall in Los Angeles. The center will officially open in August at the Park at The Grove and The Americana at Brand shopping center. ...

...Palm will staff the location with Palm ambassadors who will give visitors a chance to get hands-on with the Pre and follow along with various demo's of the Palm Pre smartphone. Palm will also offer one on one tutorials and presentations on a large screen displays. It is unclear if actual devices or accessories will be available for sale.
    iPhone 7 Plus - Sprint SERO
    iPhone 6 Plus - Altice (testing)

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Voxofone (another VOIP carrier) coming to the pre (soon).

http://www.voxofon.com/mobile_webos.html

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Deutsche Bank Gives Palm a Hand

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...s-palm-a-hand/

by John Paczkowski
    Posted on July 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM PT

Sales of the Palm Pre aren’t slowing; nor is the device suffering from unusually high return rates. And all this incessant hand-wringing over the Pre’s performance at market is needless.

That’s the word from Deutsche Bank analyst Jonathan Goldberg, who says the smartphone is doing just fine.

“Palm’s stock has underperformed since their earnings announcement last month in the absence of any hard news,” Goldberg wrote in a research note Friday. “We think market fears about return rates, weekly order trends and applications development are off the mark. Our checks continue to point to solid demand and carrier interest.”

According to Goldberg, his checks also indicate that “…Palm has become a healthy momentum stock adding to volatility. Sifting through the noise, however, we believe the key trends are healthy. The August quarter is tracking ahead of our estimates. We think the Street is still underestimating the company’s improved execution and long-term operating leverage.”

That’s certainly possible, given the wide disagreement among analysts over sales and satisfaction. Perhaps when Palm (PALM) next reports earnings, it will release some hard sales numbers and put an end to this speculation once and for all.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    New Palm brand design chief hails from Apple

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10303703-37.html

by Erica Ogg

When Jeff Zwerner joined Palm recently, he was in familiar company.

The man hired as senior vice president of brand design at Palm is, like three other top executives and a board member of the company, a former employee of Apple. Zwerner has been selected by Palm to shape the company's brand, with responsibility for public relations, marketing, advertising, events, and design.

Zwerner comes to Palm most recently from Factor Design in San Francisco, where, as principal, he consulted on strategic design for companies as varied as Hewlett-Packard, Coca-Cola, Gap, Disney, General Electric, and Apple. But before that, he spent two different stints in Cupertino, spending 1995 to 1996 as a senior art director, and returning from 2001 to 2003 as creative director of packaging.

He joins CEO Jon Rubinstein, former SVP of hardware for Apple; SVP of Product Development Mike Bell, who held the same position at Apple; PR head Lynn Fox, who did the same job at Apple; and former Apple CFO Fred Anderson, who joined Palm's board two years ago.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Palm gets two top Javascript developers from Mozilla

http://blogs.zdnet.com/weblife/?p=867

September 25th, 2009
    Posted by Andrew Mager @ 9:09 am

This is huge news because the Palm webOS framework is not easy to work with. Building applications for the Palm Pre is a challenge because the documentation is bad, the code is ugly, and the actual emulator is a nightmare to work with.

I am confident that it will improve now because Dion and Ben are the pioneers of Ajax, and webOS is build on Javascript. These guys worked on Bespin together at Mozilla, which is basically a code editor in a web browser.

If they can do that, they can do anything, and Palm needs it. I really do believe that webOS can be a platform for every mobile device now.
    Mozilla coders join Palm, apparently jabbing Apple

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-10361764-264.html

September 25, 2009 10:34 AM PDT
    by Stephen Shankland

Two prominent Web-based programming advocates have left Mozilla for Palm, arguing that the time has come to use browsers to bypass Apple's controlling role in mobile applications.

Dion Almaer and Ben Galbraith, who help run the Ajaxian site for elaborate Web interfaces and who worked on Mozilla's Web-based Bespin tool for collaborative programming, announced their move to Palm on Friday.

Palm is a logical place for them to go. The Palm Pre has won accolades as a competitive mobile phone, and its foundation for applications is a WebKit-based browser, meaning that Palm programs are essentially Web programs.

"I will be joining Ben, my best friend, partner in crime, and fellow Ajaxian, as we take a new role as directors of the Palm Developer Relations team. We will have the responsibility of the developer experience with Palm. We will be trying to create a rich connective tissue between the company and the Web developer community that we love," Almaer wrote on his blog.

Web-based programs are typically slower and less capable than alternatives that run natively on a computing device. But they have one big potential advantage: written once, they can run on any device with a browser and hardware up to the task.

Although Galbraith and Dalmaer are excited by the possibilities of Web applications and the new era of mobile computing ushered in most notably by Apple's iPhone, Galbraith appears to be concerned about the control Apple exercises over the applications people can use on their phones.

"Clearly, a revolution in hardware is taking place, and it doesn't take a prophet to work out that the future of computing lies along this new trajectory," Galbraith said. "However, my enthusiasm for this amazing new world is tempered by some unfortunate decisions made by some of the players in this space. It seems that some view this revolution as a chance to seize power in downright Orwellian ways by constraining what we, as developers, can say, dictating what kinds of apps we can create, controlling how we distribute our apps, and placing all kinds of limits on what (we) can do to our computing devices."

He didn't mention Apple by name, and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but who else besides Apple could Galbraith be referring to? The programmers and Apple didn't immediately respond to requests for comment.
    Last edited by johncase3; 09-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Thumbs down The Problem with the Pre is...

I like to consider myself, and I try to be, as honest a salesman as possible. So until I meet someone with a Palm Pre who hasn't experienced a major issue i.e. phone freezing up permanently, disappearing contacts, and well the list just goes on. Truth be told I have not met a single soul who hasn't experienced a technical issue yet. So I cant in all good faith sell this phone. The problem with the Pre is it doesn't work.

That carrot top girl is a liar!... you cant trust the DAYWALKER!!

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marcosag
    I like to consider myself, and I try to be, as honest a salesman as possible. So until I meet someone with a Palm Pre who hasn't experienced a major issue i.e. phone freezing up permanently, disappearing contacts, and well the list just goes on. Truth be told I have not met a single soul who hasn't experienced a technical issue yet. So I cant in all good faith sell this phone. The problem with the Pre is it doesn't work.

Hi - I'm Audiyoda. Now that we've met, I've owned a Pre for over two months now. I've never had an issue with this phone - no lock ups, for freezing, no disappearing contacts...not one technical issue.

So...why don't you STFU.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Gettting back on topic....

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2010/01/gr...or-bz-ppl.html

January 20, 2010
    GR8 shortcuts for bz ppl

R U in a hurry? FYI, Palm webOS makes it easy to hop to the VIPs and apps on your phone, ASAP.

Universal search on your Palm webOS phone makes it easy to search to find info and make calls. You can also find someone by typing in a person’s first and last initials. And you can search by just a last name, or by entering any word in an application’s name. For example, typing “cat” will display the App Catalog icon as a match. After narrowing down your search, you can tap the selection to launch the application or just press the Return key to launch the highlighted Application.

There are also some special keywords you can use to bring up popular applications on the phone that just make sense -- “sms” finds the Messaging app and “vid” finds both Videos and the YouTube application.

Here are a few other keywords (some of which can be shortened as indicated in parentheses). And there are a few more -- leave a comment if you’ve found ‘em.

store: App Catalog
    pic(ture): Photos
    sms or text: Messaging
    time: Date & Time and Clock
    add(ress): Contacts
    todo: Tasks
    eve(nts): Calendar
    note: Memos
    net: Wi-Fi

Calvin P., Customer Support

Device(s)
    VX8500
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marcosag

Have owned one for 6 months have experienced no issues. I personally love this phone. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself.

Device(s)
    VX8500
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johncase3
    Sadly this post may be close to being true. We have a dismal app community compared to the other big companies. Hopefully this will change soon and much better apps will fill that 20 spot.

BTW tea timer is listed as one of the best apps, that is how sad our app community is.

Device(s)
    Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if there is a true backup app for the webOS. I want to backup and restore everything if need be. Memo's and phone log aswell. If I need to replace my phone I want to restore on another.

Feedback Score
    web os could easily take the number one spot in mobile platform if they get it right...think where it would be if they had not stopped maturing it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4