Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Japanese gov't confirms frequency bands for LTE

Device(s)
    Sharp SH0902C
    Carrier(s)
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score

Japanese gov't confirms frequency bands for LTE

Read a news article today that the Japanese government has issued new licences to the four major Japanese mobile carriers for them to set up their new LTE networks. The carriers also confirmed exactly what bands they were going to launch LTE in.

Three of them (all except eMobile) have gotten spectrum in the 1500 band (UMTS Band XI), a band unused anywhere worldwide. But thankfully, all four carriers are going to reuse their own current 3G spectrum as well, which will mean they sell phones supporting a number of bands (and likely they'll have backup W-CDMA support too).

It will work like this:

* docomo: Band I (2100) and Band XI (1500); will set up an LTE network on these bands and start operating it from July 2010, launching commercial service from December 2010.
    * SoftBank: Band I (2100) and Band XI (1500); will set up an LTE network on these bands and start operating it from January 2011, launching commercial service from July 2011.
    * KDDI: Unique 800 band and Band XI (1500); will set up an LTE network on these bands and start operating it from November 2010, launching commercial service the following month (December 2010).
    * eMobile: Band IX (1700) only, will set up an LTE network on these bands and both start operating it and commercially launch it from September 2009.

So, eMobile will be starting the soonest but be stuck in their unique 1700 band; docomo and KDDI will launch at the same time, with SoftBank coming to the party quite late. docomo and SoftBank will reuse their 2100 spectrum for LTE as well, while KDDI will reuse their unique 800 band (I don't know which part of it either, they have a myriad of frequency pairings in that band. Shame really, they've got Band I 2100 spectrum as well; they could've used that and had potential worldwide roaming capability. Stupid...).

Now, if the rest of the world's carriers would reuse their 2100 spectrum for LTE as well, that would allow us to continue importing phones from Japan and using them outside the country (although KDDI's phones will continue to be incompatible by the looks of things; eMobile's will also remain obviously in compatible). However at the moment we have the silly situation of Europe using 1800 or 2600 and the US using 700 for LTE, so it's not looking good at the moment anyway...
    AL
    Mobile: Sharp SH0902C

Device(s)
    Sharp SH7218U/iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    China Unicom 3G/China Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'll just wait and see waht China Unicom will do...
    Can I have my signature in Chinese...?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    China unicom, probably go with 2100 just to keep roaming while TD-LTE rules china.....

Its goodto see that Docomo and SB have gone with their bands and are stickign with it. No messes there. I don't get why au must be different. Wasn't the whole point of LTE supposed to be that they could free up the japanese market and free manufacturers from the carriers? It seems like for that to happen KDDI will have to introduce 2100 roaming and DCM and SB also have to put 800... So for now more carrier domination of the product lineup.

There is still one more question. What about those proprietary systems like i-mode and lismo mail. What will happen to them. Will each carrier advance their technologies or will japan stick with one international medium?
    ANA The Launch Customer for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nice to note that the 1.5GHz spectrum has previously seen use in the form of 2G PDC services

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    its not unexpected that Japan took the same bands they used in previous generations

Carrier(s)
    Wind+T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    But the important question is- will other countries be willing to take on the 1500MHz spectrum for LTE?

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I guess we'll ahve to see in the next coule of years

Device(s)
    Sharp SH0902C
    Carrier(s)
    Three Australia
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, the 1500 spectrum was used by SoftBank for their PDC service, however they're not 'reusing' the spectrum as such. From what I read a while back, both docomo and SoftBank will have to return the spectrum they use for PDC when the networks are shut down. So, in SoftBank's case they'll return the exact spectrum they have, only to be given back the exact spectrum they asked for LTE (I say exact because it may differ by a few MHz).

I don't think other countries will pick up 1500 as a general rule... docomo was quite lucky to get W-CDMA adopted by the ITU at the beginning of the decade (along with its main 2100 band, only used in Japan at the time). I'm not sure what it would take to get other countries to adopt the 1500 band...

Device(s)
    Nokia 6230b (5.50 with Chinese)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'll be trying to stick with gsm as long as possible or until they figure out 3g incomming on docomos lol

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    GSM will probably stick in North America for another 10 years. At&t is still setting up a 3G network that has decent coverage when their 2G coverage wasn't that good either. (In Chicago Tmobile always had better signal). Now they are talking LTE......

I wouldn't expect 2G to go anywhere in the mean time. I don't really care though, because when my Fido contract expires, I'm switching to robbers and then I can use 850 3G roaming

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    well the goofballs in the att forum, they want gsm to go away now, quite the crazy bunch of data freaks

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    well, all the goof balls there would be crying once they don't have 3G coverage while roaming. Then they'll wonder why they have no signal because there is no EDGE or GSM to back up on.

I guess they can't figure. You can't kill off a previous generation technology for back up until the current generation technology is good enough to back up the newest technology

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    thats what old att wireless did, and had to introduce tdma/gsm phones, though i'll still say this, vodafone should have acquired att blue, but stupid sbc bought them out, three gsm providors is better than 2, well still better than canada, but still.

But LTE, way too messy and worse than 3g,

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    well...you guys have 2 GSM providers....

At least we started 3G earlier

Device(s)
    P906i
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetam
    well...you guys have 2 GSM providers....

At least we started 3G earlier
    Even though we only have 1 GSM Provider, Rogers, albeit overpriced, is running the company quite well and has been surprisingly faster than all of the North American GSM providers (well generally).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast