Thread: Unlocked iPhone to use with Orange UK?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6500slide
    Carrier(s)
    Orange UK
    Feedback Score

Wink Unlocked iPhone to use with Orange UK?

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about purchasing a 3GS 16GB iPhone that is unlocked as I'm wanting to use it with my current contract Orange sim card.
    Now bear with me, I'm presuming the number of calls/minutes/texts will stay the same as the contract stays the same (I'm on Dolphin 35), as its just a different phone. But will I be able to download, surf the web, browse, use apps etc while on my current Orange UK sim card...? Is the a wifi limit or usage policy that I need to get from Orange.

I'm presuming there's no problem in what I'm doing, but could someone clarify as I'm hesitant to buy an unlocked iPhone until I know I can use it fully & properly with my current Orange UK sim.

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Your questions is more carrier-specific than iPhone-specific. Perhaps you should check that carrier's website or ask Customer Service directly.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    Vario III
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman_tim

as I'm hesitant to buy an unlocked iPhone until I know I can use it fully & properly with my current Orange UK sim.

Thanks in advance.
    That probably depends on your definitely of 'fully & properly' some things like visual voicemail are carrier dependent and there are issues with software updates.

You'll also need to pay for your calls, data etc on orange as you would with any other phone. unlike o2, Orange's data packages are limited to 500mb and they will charge you if you go over that (and those charges can be shocking)

Wifi should be free from unlocked wifi, but you won't be able to use the o2 nodes/access points without paying o2. I assume Orange have some sort of wifi network you could pay for but i really don't know.

You'll also need to make sure your orange sim is 3G compatable, as not all of them are
    You'd have thought someone would of put a sig here...

Device(s)
    Nokia 6500slide
    Carrier(s)
    Orange UK
    Feedback Score
    Psionandy - thanks for the reply.

So how do people use their unlocked iPhones on other networks properly then?
    500mb? I have no idea how that turns into webpages visited, time spent online etc...?

Think I may need to phone Orange though not sure how helpful they'll be.

Device(s)
    Vario III
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile -UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman_tim
    Psionandy - thanks for the reply.

So how do people use their unlocked iPhones on other networks properly then?
    It still really depends on your definition of properly.....

If you mean that you'll get the full o2 experience on another network then you can't.

If you mean that you'll get most things working, are prepared to use it carefully, watch the amount of data you use etc then you can.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6500slide
    Carrier(s)
    Orange UK
    Feedback Score
    Ok just spoke to Orange Customer Services and I can use the sim card, it is 3G compatible and I will have to have to buy an internet bundle. £7.50 gets me 250mb and £10 gets 1GB's worth. Not sure what the O2 experience is, but as long as I can use/download apps, upload vids, store & listen to music, use GPS and most normal things I'd be happy. OR buy the unlocked iPhone and get pay as you go on O2 which will enable me to get the O2 experience and probably a bit safer with wifi usage etc as they're unlimited.

Thoughts?
    Thanks again.