Thread: 5200: Any way to disable/block ALL text messaging service

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Question 5200: Any way to disable/block ALL text messaging service

Ok,I got my daughter a pay as you go Nokia 5200 through 7-11 speak out Canada.This phone was for calling and emergency use.Her friend now got a cell with unlimited texting which is now costing me a fortune.I called 7-11 speak out they said they cannot disable texting from the service.I searched the manual and can't find any way to shut off or use a password for locking out texting.

Please someone help me or this phone might just "dissapear"!!

thanks......gosharpie97.

Feedback Score
    Someone please answer this post, I have the exact same problem with my wife's Pay-as-you-Go GoPhone. Seems they've given her a used number so she gets a ton of text messaging that she doesn't want...and costs us a lot.

Feedback Score
    ^ gosharpie97: Good question as I don't know if 5200 has the capability to block SMS at all. And, the MVNOs like SpeakOut may not be helpful because it's like a conflict to their interest: cutting down their revenue generating opportunity.

Frankly, it's a "behavioral issue" that your daughter & her friend MUST be dealt w/ in all seriousness: It doesn't matter if they talk (25c each) or SMS (5c each), sooner or later the balance can go fast. If I were you, I'd STOP topping up unless she rectifies her behavior.

^ Howard Roark: Hi, unlike the OP's daughter, your situation ISN'T exactly the same. I suggest to change her phone number to cut off the unnecessary calls once and for all.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    @gosharpie:

In the Message Settings, there should be an entry for SMS Service Centre Number. If you delete it or fill it with zeroes, you won't be able to send SMS. You would still receive them though.

Device(s)
    Nokia E75
    Carrier(s)
    ATT The Death Star
    Feedback Score

Stop texts

Call the carrier and tell them to disable text messaging on your account
    They don't like doing it but they can
    If they refuse write to the customer service department and complain

Device(s)
    Nokia e63
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's so much easier in Europe, you pay nothing to receive texts or calls, only to send/make them. Sigh.