Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First time selling on ebay and hit with an Ebay Scam!

Device(s)
    Nokia N97 Black NAM
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've sold a few things on Ebay lately - you're right, the fees blow and they are more concerned with protecting the buyer than the seller. That being said, you can protect yourself by adding limitations to the auction - specify a minimal amount of feedback, specify US-only, and absolutely only ship to US Paypal *confirmed* addresses.

I've also recently had luck on Craigslist, though I'll confess, I'm less comfortable selling, cause you never know who you're going to meet, you know? If you sell on Craigslist, make sure to meet them in a highly visible, public place, etc, or ship if you can.

Carrier(s)
    Att
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoffer
    I have sold 3 phones on Ebay in the last 3 weeks and never had an issue. I specify in my listings ships to US only paypal confirmed address. I have had people email me asking for shipping to Italy, Poland for NAM phones. I just respond US only. There is a way to void peoples bids I believe but I have never had to do that. As bids come in, I look at bidders info just to keep an eye out for non US people. The only problem I had was one person not paying a year ago for an old Palm I had listed.

I do pretty much the same thing. I post US ONLY - PAYPAL VERIFIED ONLY. I still get people asking if i will send it here or there. Anytime one of these people from out of the country send me a question, i put their userid on my ebay blocked bidder list. I have told people I do not sell to canada or europe for example, and they have still bid on my item and screwed up my listing.

I give great service, never lie, disclose everything about the phone and have 500 transactions and 100% pos feedback

Just need to be careful and use good judgement.

Device(s)
    Nokia N97 Black
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    After I go off saying how I have had no problems on Ebay, I sold my 5800 yesterday and waiting for payment so I emailed the dolt who bought it to remind him it needed to be paid in 24 hours and below is his response:

my friend, i am sorry coz im not buying yr phone. i was looking for new condition phone but i found yr phone to be used after i became a highest bidder. i was praying that sdb would bid me but i won the auction. so plz forgive me, dude and request u not to leave negative feed bac. thnx.

- punkeranit

Yes Negative Feedback will be left!

Device(s)
    n85 | n96 | n95-3 | E90 |
    Carrier(s)
    vodafone
    Feedback Score
    I use the paypal confirmed address only and I use the buy it now option so that a buyer has to pay for the item immediately. I use this method for phone selling. I cant be asked to go through the bidding method and waiting another eon for payment, which ebay says is 7 days no matter what you write in your listings. Yes people almost want to buy your phone for zero pounds. But I do not know any other method. My family are even less willing to pay out for my ex-handsets lol.
    History is a mirror of the past!
    And a lesson for the present!
    (Persian Proverb)

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've sold a bunch of phones off eBay but the fees are just way too huge. After eBay takes a cut, then PayPal will take a cut. Also I did a lot of research before I listed my items and would only ship to US verified addresses. Everytime I would get someone from some country who would ask if I would ship here or there and always I would say no. Now I just sell through a local online classified as it is used more than craigslist where I live, and there's less scammers. I usually sell whatever it is for 5% to 10% less than what I would sell it on eBay for but I get cash from the person and I don't feel like I'm getting raped with fees.

Device(s)
    Panasonic GU87 (1st phone)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    E-bay is changing their ways though, now they are offering up to 5 free listing per month. I have only bought stuff from e-bay never sold anything yet though I have sold items via their half.com site which is good spot to sell books/cds/movies/games etc. As usual do you have to do your hw with how to protect yourself and be suspicious of people who seems to be shady buyers.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01dc
    Funny this just happened to my n95 the other night...the seller even devised a fake "you have money in your paypal" email. Scammers are just so ridiculous, I'd like to see a 20/20 show where they track the ip of all these idiots and actually see what kind of people are doing this....
    http://www.419eater.com/

you can see some of the scammers here. believe me, this website gives me a lot of satisfaction. it is basically people that take a lot of time to scam the scammers. some of their plans are VERY involved. Like there is one where before the deal happens they ask for a custom wood-carving bust of their own head!!! The guy actually makes one and delivers it on his own dime

Anyways, "nigerian scammers" are the lowest of the low. they disgust me so much. but people REGULARLY fall for their crap and so they keep doing it because they makes tons of money believe it or not.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 (Red)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I've only sold devices through craigslist. I found that to be the most secure way of selling your stuff, because you actually meet up with the person and get the cash in hand.

Like Ricky said, if you meet up with them, make sure its in a public place with eyes all around you. You don't want something unsuspected to happen

Device(s)
    N86, N82 (backup)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I find it funny how people keep saying that they sell on craigslist. But then they remind everyone to make sure you meet in a public place "just in case" I can tell you one thing. I have never been robbed in 8 years of selling on ebay. I have never had to worry about meeting in a public place when I sell on ebay.

Like everything in life, pay attention, and do your homework. There are plenty of things that you can do to protect yourself on ebay. From both scammers and ebay fees.

I very rarely do auction style listings. I usually do fixed price listings and allow buyers to send me offers. I can set it up to automatically deny low ball offers. It then allows me time to review an offer by a buyer before I accept. This lets me look at their feedback, and decide if I want to sell to that person or not. If I dont, then I just refuse their offer. I also set my Buy It Now auctions to require immediate payment, that way rogue users cant just click on the buy it now and never respond again.

I also accept paypal confirmed payments only. I have two accounts set up, one in my name that takes credit cards (a little higher fee) and one in my wifes name that is for bank transfers only.

You can also defer some fees by taking a little off your auction price and adding a little more to the shipping cost. Most people look at the total cost of the auction/shipping. (Even ebay's searches are set up to show high/low price with shipping) Ebay does not charge fees on the shipping price (paypal does)

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff on ebay. I occassionally get emails from obvious scammers, but I just ignore them. Its no different than all the people on craigslist trying to sell a 2008 Corvette for $5500.

Just use common sense, everything else will be ok

Device(s)
    Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I've tried to sell stuff on craigslist before and I got the same emails. Its kind of annoying. B/S/T is the way to go.
    My Feedback(22)

Past Phones:
    Moto: V60i, V220, V300, V400, SLVR L7, V3i
    Nokia: 3360, 3595, 6230, 6230i, 7610, N80, N73, N82, N93i
    Samsung: X426, E316, D600, D900, Galaxy S i9000M (x2), i9100 Galaxy S2 (black)
    Sharp: 903sh (white)(x2), SH905i (white), SH906i (white)
    Sony Ericsson: Z500a, T616(x2), T637, S700i, S710a, V800, V802, K700i, K750i(x3), K800i, W800i, W810i(x3), W900i
    Siemens: S40
    Apple: iPhone 3GS (white)(x2), iPhone 4S (white), iPhone 5 (white)

Device(s)
    Lumia 520
    Carrier(s)
    [at&t],
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcadden
    If you sell on Craigslist, make sure to meet them in a highly visible, public place, etc, or ship if you can.
    How about meeting them in front of a Police Precinct..
    "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility"

Follow me on TWITTER

HOFO FEEDBACK

Device(s)
    Nokia N79
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    got another email from the scammer. Dude will just not quite. I'm not even going to waste my time emailing him back.

Scammer:
    Hello ,
    I want to know what is going on regarding the transaction because it has been few days back now that i have submitted the payment for your item and the funds has been deducted from my account and it is already waiting to be cleared to your account after you have shipped the item but since then you never gave any response just to know if the item has been shipped or not, this is getting fish i think i will open a dispute with you on paypal and leave a bad feedback for you on ebay and i will report you taking a legal action against you on paypal which will allow your bank account to get suspended and freezed so i will just want you to be gentle and kind enough to reply me so that i can know the status of my order.

Kind Regards

Device(s)
    Nokia N79
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Changed my mind i will forward him the ebay message i received stating that he was a scammer.

Feedback Score
    ^ Walkercart: Keep all email, then file a non-payment complaint to eBay. If you still intend to sell on eBay before he's banned, list that person in your block list http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcadden
    I've sold a few things on Ebay lately - you're right, the fees blow and they are more concerned with protecting the buyer than the seller. That being said, you can protect yourself by adding limitations to the auction - specify a minimal amount of feedback, specify US-only, and absolutely only ship to US Paypal *confirmed* addresses.

I've also recently had luck on Craigslist, though I'll confess, I'm less comfortable selling, cause you never know who you're going to meet, you know? If you sell on Craigslist, make sure to meet them in a highly visible, public place, etc, or ship if you can.
    ^ Completely agree! eBay & their PayPal's monopoly take about 10-14% off altogether, & the new DSR system could screw the sellers in no time! Even I've got 100% perfect history since 2000, under the new arrangement if buyers think "there's nothing perfect as 5 stars in this universe!" or some rookies getting worry too much on everything, they could put all things on hold.

B/S/T local, meet/deal at the bank during biz hours are my picks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast