Thread: Is there a way to get data on a prepaid plan for an unlocked iPhone 3g 3.0?

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Is there a way to get data on a prepaid plan for an unlocked iPhone 3g 3.0?

I have an iPhone 3g, running 3.0 software. I’m based in Canada and normally use my phone with Fido, a local provider here.

I travel in the US from time to time- maybe for a few days at a time every couple of months. I’d like to be able to use my iPhone when I’m in the states, including being able to use data. (The data roaming offered by my provider is insanely expensive…)

Is there a way to do this, with an unlocked phone? I’ve read a lot of the threads here, but haven’t been able to figure it out. I seem to get contradictory and confusing information. It seems like the possible options are:

1) Get T-Mobile prepaid plan, and add some sort of data option (Maybe the sidekick plan)?: This sounds okay. A dollar a day for unlimited data would be pretty great, even if it is at slower EDGE speeds. But will it work on the iPhone? (I’ve read contradictory reports). If so: is there something special you need to do to make it work?

2) Get an AT&T Go Phone prepaid plan, and add 100MB of data for $20. Not great, but I can deal. But the same issues apply as w. TMobile: I gather AT&T recently started saying they would not allow iPhones to use the prepaid Go accounts. So – is there a way to make this work?

3) Some other option I’ve overlooking?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G S (Black 32GB)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Once the phone is unlocked it will work with any GSM sim. Pick which carrier's pre-paid talk and data options work the best for your intended usage.

I believe T-mo is a bit less expensive, but with ATT you would be on 3G (as long as you're in an area that's covered). Pick the one that suits you best all around and pop your Pre-paid SIM into your iPhone. Talk and data will both work fine. The only feature that will not work with an unlocked iPhone and pre-paid SIM is visual voicemail.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc3d (*edited by craze189)
    the most important question:

Who is the 'short-haircut' chick from the Facetime commercial and where do we find out more about her?
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck View Post
    On the same token, you don't NEED an iphone 4... It's a luxury. Not an essential part of human life. Doesn't work for someone? Plenty of other phones that will.

ahhhh... Life was so much simpler back in the iPhone 2G days, when no one got a subsidized price, and the entitled minions of society were left out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by craze189
    Once the phone is unlocked it will work with any GSM sim. Pick which carrier's pre-paid talk and data options work the best for your intended usage.

I believe T-mo is a bit less expensive, but with ATT you would be on 3G (as long as you're in an area that's covered). Pick the one that suits you best all around and pop your Pre-paid SIM into your iPhone. Talk and data will both work fine. The only feature that will not work with an unlocked iPhone and pre-paid SIM is visual voicemail.

Hope this helps.
    how can you do this and still keep your original phone number?

Device(s)
    BugMeNot
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    it isn't necessarily a "hacking" forum topic.

Use fido SIM card in Canada, and use whatever Sim card in the States that offers data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by julesx
    how can you do this and still keep your original phone number?
    My understanding is that you can't. I'm okay with that....

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMN1tches
    it isn't necessarily a "hacking" forum topic.

Use fido SIM card in Canada, and use whatever Sim card in the States that offers data.
    I wasn't sure if this was the right forum. But I guess I figured it's sort of an "unlocking" forum topic, since it's about how to use my phone on another carrier, which would (I assume) definitely involve unlocking. Yes? Hope I'm not too off-topic here...

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score

I believe T-mo is a bit less expensive, but with ATT you would be on 3G (as long as you're in an area that's covered).
    If I can actually get ulimited EDGE for $1/day, that sounds better than $20 for 100MB of 3g. For my purposes, I think I'd rather have unlimited slow Internet for less money than limited fast Internet for more money. But either sounds okay.

Pick the one that suits you best all around and pop your Pre-paid SIM into your iPhone. Talk and data will both work fine. The only feature that will not work with an unlocked iPhone and pre-paid SIM is visual voicemail.
    Hope this helps.
    I hope this is right!

It seems to me I've seen all sorts of threads indicating that doing this is either more challenging than just popping in a SIM or even impossible.

Is this description correct? Is there anyone here who's had success (recently) just popping in one of those SIMS into an unlocked phone?

Thanks!!

Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Just a heads up that applications using "push" techology are currently not working on "unapproved" networks:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...about_push.php

Supposedly the DEV team has a fix on the way.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G S (Black 32GB)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by misha_x
    If I can actually get ulimited EDGE for $1/day, that sounds better than $20 for 100MB of 3g. For my purposes, I think I'd rather have unlimited slow Internet for less money than limited fast Internet for more money. But either sounds okay.
    I agree. I, too, would take unlimited, slow for less over limited, fast for more. It's always good to know exactly how much things are going to cost, regardless of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by misha_x
    It seems to me I've seen all sorts of threads indicating that doing this is either more challenging than just popping in a SIM or even impossible.

Is this description correct? Is there anyone here who's had success (recently) just popping in one of those SIMS into an unlocked phone?

Thanks!!
    I've done it myself, many times. I currently have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM that I used to test my 3GS unlock and it worked fine. As far as the 3G, I've already used it with fido in Canada, bMobile in Jamaica and T-Mobile at home in America.

All you have to do is:

1. Jailbreak the iPhone.
    2. Open Cydia and Search for ultrasn0w (ultrasn0w is for use with 3.0 firmware. If you're running 2.x firmware, search for "yellosn0w").
    3. Install ultrasn0w to your iPhone. (yellowsn0w for 2.x)
    4. Power off iPhone.
    5. Switch SIM cards.
    6. Power on iPhone.
    7. iPhone should display new carrier in top left corner and work with new SIM (minus Visual Voicemail).

Please be aware of your data usage while using an iPhone with ANY pre-paid SIM or on any line that does not have unlimited data.

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3g
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I've done it myself, many times. I currently have a T-Mobile pre-paid SIM that I used to test my 3GS unlock and it worked fine. As far as the 3G, I've already used it with fido in Canada, bMobile in Jamaica and T-Mobile at home in America.

All you have to do is:

Hope this helps.
    Thanks!! What data plan are you using on your T-Mobile pre-paid sim?

Feedback Score
    I just had a dissapointing experience using t-mobile in the US with a prepaid card on my iphone 3g.

Initially (in canada) I was able to use the prepaid card and register/roam on the rogers network. a few days later I was unable to register using my t-mobile sim while in canada.

No matter, when I arrived in the US the phone registered correctly, which was initially positive.

I switched my prepaid plan to the sidekick plan (which is the only one which offers data), my iphone could see the EDGE network (no 3g). This is because tmobile 3g uses a frequency not supported with the iphone. 3g will never work.

Which actually didn't matter because it seems that tmobile was able to detect that I was not using a sidekick phone and I was unable to use any data service except ones using the MS Exchange service on the iphone.
    I tried all the different APNs, many different carrier packages from Cydia but to no avail, browsing and other internet services simply didn't work. If you are using Gmail via exchange service or any other exchange service your email will work, but that's all.

Apparently some people don't have this problem, but I heard a rumor while I was there that Tmobile is able to detect certain iphones via the IEMI and you will be shut-down like I was.. Buyer beware.

Also, AT&T seems to have much better coverage, at least in California where I was. T-mobile had very spotty service in San Francisco and the Bay Area.