Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: get HSPA SIM card without new phone when HSPA is ready?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

get HSPA SIM card without new phone when HSPA is ready?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone here knows if we can just get the SIM card when HSPA is ready instead of getting a brand new phone from telus?

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9900 Bold
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Don't see why not. I did it with Rogers a few years back, just got a SIM card on a month to month basis.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    but they'll still have to transfer the account to the HSPA network and may have to alter your plan
    - BYOD $60 10GB -

Device(s)
    Motorola, Samsung, Nokia!
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 9230 Storm: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Telus already sells SIM cards. You can buy it and place it on your account as secondary equipment right now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 9230 Storm: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.122 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Telus already sells SIM cards. You can buy it and place it on your account as secondary equipment right now.
    For roaming. Not for the HSPA network.

- Jason

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That kinda sucks how I have to change my plan. I'm actually asking for my gf and she just transferred from Fido because I can get her a decent plan at Telus. If we have to alter her plan just because of transferring to HSPA, then that kinda defeats the purpose of transferring her to Telus...hopefully I can work something out with Telus.

She still has her old phone that uses SIM (not locked), so I'm hoping she can just pick up a card from Telus and use it with her old phone.

Feedback Score
    The proper name is a Telus UICC. I asked a similar question about a month ago and the moderators locked it up because I should have asked it in the Telus HSPA thread. But since We're on the same topic, They Hafta sell the UICC's seperately, what if you enter the incorrect PUK code too many times you will fry it or if you damage it or loose it, they should not force you to buy a BNIB handset just to get a replacement UICC.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ah...that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully I can get the UICC and stick it in a regular SIM phone from asia...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo
    The proper name is a Telus UICC. I asked a similar question about a month ago and the moderators locked it up because I should have asked it in the Telus HSPA thread. But since We're on the same topic, They Hafta sell the UICC's seperately, what if you enter the incorrect PUK code too many times you will fry it or if you damage it or loose it, they should not force you to buy a BNIB handset just to get a replacement UICC.
    ^ Unfortunately, we'll still see USIM/SIM "card" being widely used to refer "it".

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by E-POTS
    but they'll still have to transfer the account to the HSPA network and may have to alter your plan

I'm glad you stated "may have to alter your plan".

Until Telus tells us more, we really don't know and uninformed speculation helps no one. Said it before; 'those who know aren't talking and those who talk don't know'.

That said, the launch of the new network provides an nice excuse (not necessarily a reason) to rationalise rate plans consistent with the realities of the marketplace at the beginning of the second decade of the millennium. I expect changes; some will like them and some will not. I hope I will fall into the category of those who can live with the new plans.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    gayjock,

E X A C T L Y ! The same goes with "will BYO unlocked handset be allowed?"... on one side, RileyFreeman has quoted the executive's "blessing" during the conference call but on the other side, there are internal discussion clearly undecided for the future friendliness.

I wonder how many people here would dare to "talk" about WC1V 6EA
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    BB Passport, OnePlus One, GOBI5000 LTE, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    Bell, Rogers, Verizon (Prepaid) 6 CTNs, one me.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wenyen
    She still has her old phone that uses SIM (not locked), so I'm hoping she can just pick up a card from Telus and use it with her old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wenyen
    Hopefully I can get the UICC and stick it in a regular SIM phone from asia...
    I think most people here missed something. But i really doubt a phone from asia will support HSPA 850 and 1900 which i believe the telus HSPA network will be running on. There will be no GSM support.

Device(s)
    BB Pearl 8130
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    In fairness, the Asia reference was made rather far along in the thread. For that matter, there are plenty of multi-band phones sold in Asia (and in "Asian" stores in Canada) so it might not be a problem. Ask the thousands of Canadians who use phones they bought in Asia.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rogers
    I think most people here missed something. But i really doubt a phone from asia will support HSPA 850 and 1900 which i believe the telus HSPA network will be running on. There will be no GSM support.
    My wife-to-be was using a nokia phone from Asia when she was still with Rogers. I think it was Quad Band...that's why it worked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HC - NO "i"

I wonder how many people here would dare to "talk" about WC1V 6EA
    a postal code for London UK? LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast