Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to flash sprint phone to alltel?

Device(s)
    EnV3
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is it possible to flash sprint phone to alltel?

I found a sprint sanyo katana or the katana 2 (not sure because its not with me at the moment) and I want to replace my alltel v262. How would I go about doing this? Is it possible? Do I just need to go to an Alltel store and have a rep flash it for me?

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    Alltel is not going to help you with a phone they do not sell. You can do it yourself. First, you are going to need the master subsity lock code from Sprint. Good luck getting that. If you do get that, getting it set up for voice and text should'nt be too hard, but good luck with ever getting mms and data to work.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    you will not be able to straight up use the handset with all of its features. And you cannot flash it, nor could an alltel store/rep, even if they wanted to. The software for it simply doesnt exist. The only time you would "flash" a handset from one carrier to another would be in the rare case that the same phone model is carried on both companies. Sprint (afaik) is the only company that has ever sold the katana so you wont be able to flash it.

this doesnt mean that you cant activate it however. what you need to do is get alltel to add it to your account. This can be done by giving them the ESN from the back of the phone (if its there). They will want the HEX number. should either be 8 digits or 14 digits. It might say MEID as well.

Then you need to program your number into it. You need to get the subsidy code from sprint in order to access the NAM programming menu, that should be the hardest part about this process. Once you are in the programming menu, you will need your MIN, MDN, and SID from alltel. a CS rep will tell you that information. once that is all done, the phone will call and text. You will probably never be able to do anything additional including picture messages.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freedombasher
    I found a sprint sanyo katana or the katana 2 (not sure because its not with me at the moment) and I want to replace my alltel v262. How would I go about doing this? Is it possible? Do I just need to go to an Alltel store and have a rep flash it for me?
    Um... you might want to reword your post. You "found" the phone? If you didn't obtain it by legitimate means (i.e. purchased from the original Sprint user) you will need way more than luck to get it activated as the ESN is probably blacklisted as a lost or stolen phone.

Not accusing you of anything, but your post seemed to say "found" as in "found it lying in the street". My apologies if I'm wrong.
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    not that im a fan of stealing or trying to undermine answerman, but even if the phone is stolen, it wont keep the ESN from going onto an Alltel account. if it isnt legit however, that hard step about getting the subsidy code just became nigh impossible.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    The MSL code can probably be determined using BitPim.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mills00013
    not that im a fan of stealing or trying to undermine answerman, but even if the phone is stolen, it wont keep the ESN from going onto an Alltel account. if it isnt legit however, that hard step about getting the subsidy code just became nigh impossible.
    Well, that's why I like to point out that I don't work for Alltel. See, I don't have all the answers.

I was just going by memory, and what I have read here. For some reason I thought that there was some sort of database for that... apparently it's only intracarrier? So, hypothetically, if I had a Sprint plan (which I don't) and someone gave me an Alltel phone with say an outstanding balance, or was reported stolen (I know this is backwards, but I'm using this example because Alltel phones have a generic MSL code) I could get it activated on Sprint?

This is hypothetical, of course... I'm just trying to understand it.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure about non-windows phones, but there is a registry key for logging that you can edit and the unlock code will show up in a text file. That's the only way I've found to get a sprint code.
    I had to do that when I bought a sprint diamond for alltel.
    JJ

Device(s)
    EnV3
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    Um... you might want to reword your post. You "found" the phone? If you didn't obtain it by legitimate means (i.e. purchased from the original Sprint user) you will need way more than luck to get it activated as the ESN is probably blacklisted as a lost or stolen phone.

Not accusing you of anything, but your post seemed to say "found" as in "found it lying in the street". My apologies if I'm wrong.
    Answerman, I straight up found the phone in a chair while I was on vacation.

For everyone else, thanks for the help. I think im just going to sell the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

For everyone else, thanks for the help. I think im just going to sell the phone.
    That was my point. What I was saying is if you had found it, as you stated, it had probably been reported as lost or stolen by the owner. I would never accuse you of stealing it... I hope you didn't take it that way.

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score

If you found it, why do you think it's your right to sell it? What if I found your phone or wallet. I guess it's mine, right? You should have turned it in when you found it. Selling it will get you nothing but in trouble. If the phone has been reported lost/stolen, it will be unable to be activated. What happens if you sell it, the buyer is unable to activate it, and calls the police? You could be facing charges. You should just take it to a Sprint store and say you found it so they can return it to the owner.

Device(s)
    EnV3
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uli2000
    If you found it, why do you think it's your right to sell it? What if I found your phone or wallet. I guess it's mine, right? You should have turned it in when you found it. Selling it will get you nothing but in trouble. If the phone has been reported lost/stolen, it will be unable to be activated. What happens if you sell it, the buyer is unable to activate it, and calls the police? You could be facing charges. You should just take it to a Sprint store and say you found it so they can return it to the owner.

Well, in Wisconsin, the law states that if you find an item (money, phone, etc) you must report it as "found" if not claimed within 15 days, it is rightfully your property.

Carrier(s)
    The Big V
    Feedback Score
    Well, in Wisconsin, the law states that if you find an item (money, phone, etc) you must report it as "found" if not claimed within 15 days, it is rightfully your property.
    I guess if you reported it and its returned, its yours, but I'd call Sprint and verify the ESN before attempting to sell it. If the previous owner had insurance on the phone and made a claim, the insurance company owns the phone and will have it reported to Sprint.

Device(s)
    EnV3
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uli2000
    I guess if you reported it and its returned, its yours, but I'd call Sprint and verify the ESN before attempting to sell it. If the previous owner had insurance on the phone and made a claim, the insurance company owns the phone and will have it reported to Sprint.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll take it to a sprint store (if i can find one...) tomorrow.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip, I'll take it to a sprint store (if i can find one...) tomorrow.
    definitely the right thing to do. if you want to get a new phone, check out ebay, the greatest phone store on the internet.

btw, if you do list the phone on ebay, i would be sure to mention that the phone might, or might not, have a good ESN. it could lead to a real headache if you sell it as a turn-key phone and it ends up having a blacklisted ESN.

@answerman, the scenario you posed earlier, yeah thats exactly possible, assuming, of course, that Sprint would allow you to activate an alltel phone. the database for stolen phones and for insurance claimed phones is only carrier based.

On that note, if you decided you wanted, say a touch pro 2 (since sprint will probably get it a month or two before verizon or alltel) you could wait till you see one with a bad ESN on ebay, then pick it up real cheap, flash a custom rom, and you are good to roll. thats perfectly legit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast