Thread: Verizon Adds Free Apps to Brew Platform

Device(s)
    Lg enV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Verizon Adds Free Apps to Brew Platform

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072802699.html

It's about time they started to unlock the competitive power of this phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, VX-10000, VX-8350
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Free......for only $1.99/MB.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 4 32 Gig & 64 Miicro SD
    Carrier(s)
    VZW (Evil Empire) 3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 480X800 LGE VX11000 enV® TOUCH)

This thread appears to be in the wrong sub-forum.. This topic is NOT exclusively about the LG Voyager™ and/or the LG enV® TOUCH.

The topic is about VZW and GIN.

Probably should be under the GIN sub-forum or possibly under the main VZW forum..

Just a thought.

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sdschramm
    Free......for only $1.99/MB.
    Yeah, the download would cost money if you don't have a data plan.. but it's still a helluva lot better than paying $1.99/month for a small app you might use occasionally.

This is awesome, actually. Verizon is making a very smart move.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, VX-10000, VX-8350
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rafarquhar
    Yeah, the download would cost money if you don't have a data plan.. but it's still a helluva lot better than paying $1.99/month for a small app you might use occasionally.

This is awesome, actually. Verizon is making a very smart move.
    And, every time you use it, it will need to talk to Verizon in the background. Thats $1.99/mb as well.

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    When will these free apps take affect? Or I guess I mean is when will they start introducting the free apps?
    :.:enV Touch Theme :.:
    .:. Blue Neon .:.

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieAthlete
    When will these free apps take affect? Or I guess I mean is when will they start introducting the free apps?
    it didnt say...hopefully soon tho

but it might be awhile since it said they have to do testing and all that developing stuff
    Computer

Cell Phone w/USB

Boulder Ringtones

Device(s)
    Lg enV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    In a nutshell this article says that instead of paying the 400 dollars BREW wanted you to pay to develop applications, verizon is now aloowing people to use these tools for free to allow companies who don't want users to pay for their apps a chance to get their apps on these feature phones.

Applications like Facebook, etc.

This also means that any Joe Schmoe with developing experience can create ANY application for free... And offer it for free to users.

Anyone with unlimited data would not be charged extra for any of this. This is Verizon's way of keeping keeping their "feature phones" one step behind actual smartphones.

This is all VERY good news.

Device(s)
    LG enV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is awesome. The reason the iPhone has so many apps is because it has a freely available SDK. Do you think apple makes any of those apps?? NO, they are all made by companies or Joe Schmoe's who have a good idea for an app and some objective C programming knowledge. It was impossible to do this for Verizon phones on the brew platform because it cost $400 for a brew developer license and access to the brew SDK! Even some big companies who do have the money to develop apps for Verizon phones either didn't bother because of the entry costs or had to charge for their app.

Now there will be no cost for a brew developer license if you don't want to charge for your app. I think this will open up the Verizon app development scene. Its not going to be as big as the iPhones development community but hey there just as many people out there with AT&T as there are with Verizon give or take.

Also, why are people complaining about 'free' but 1.99/mb for data. What are you complaining about? Why would the data be free? When you are using a free iPhone app that requires data, is the data free? NO. Not all apps on a Verizon phone need access to data (besides the initial download), so we may see some that are truly free. But what phone/wireless company has apps that are totally free and don't cost anything to download datawise? I don't think any exists and I don't see this model changing at all considering it is the norm, So if you don't want to pay $15/month to use apps on Verizon go get an iPhone and pay $60/month just for the data plan and then you still need a phone plan on top of that.

Anywho, I wonder how long it will be before I can get my hands on the Brew SDK?

Device(s)
    HTC Driod Eris
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    VZW will need to do a lot better with generating excitement over this if they really want to succeed

Device(s)
    Recently retired - LG VX11000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe the only change here is that you can now get the SDK for free. If you want to deploy your application to a phone, I think you still need to pay the $400 BREW developer fee.

It's not a lot different for Apple. You can download the SDK for free and develop apps, but you can only run them in the simulator. If you want to run them on an iPhone or iPod Touch, then you need to pay $99 per year to register as a developer.

Device(s)
    EnV Touch
    Feedback Score
    I thought the SDK was always free, unless you are saying they are also now including the arm compiler for free. And if they are still charging $400 so you can publish the apps, then I really don't see the change. So far the only thing I think that changed is that they allow a developer to offer the application for free, where before there was no way to offer free apps for third party developers.