Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: August 6th - Another day of infamy

Device(s)
    G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuser
    I'm sure you wouldn't feel the same way about nukes had the Terrorists used one on 9/11.

Using nukes on others is fine so long as they don't retaliate with nukes themselves. That's the American way right?

If they would have nuked New York and DC I'd have to say that it probably wouldn't have mattered much to me. In DC they would have just wiped out their own kind. As for the American comment , I don't really pay attention to comments from 3rd world countries.
    Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jseah
    The sad part is war also results in a lot of the medical advances we have today that helps to extend our lives.
    A teeny silver lining on a massive, evil cloud. Hardly worth it. But you're not wrong.
    In the end, that's what happened anyways. When MacArthur took over as the occupation commander, he let Hirohito keep his throne. That's also why the decision was made not to drop the first bomb on Tokyo and wipe out the emperor.
    Exactly. So Truman just wanted to test out his new toys on unarmed civilians?
    But you also need to take into context the time. We were at war....the US was attacked. Tens of thousands of US soldiers had died, and millions worldwide had died because of the war. Nothing but complete surrender would have been enough to justify the cost. Do you think the relatives of the sailors on the USS Arizona would have accepted a truce and an "I'm sorry"? My dad fought against the Japanese in China and then against the communists. To the day he died, he harbored a dislike of the Japanese and a hatred of the communists.
    So these relatives' feelings were worth over 200,000 Japanese lives, many of them women and children?

I know, many of those relatives would probably have jumped up and said "Yes! Yes!" at the time. Humans can be devastatingly cruel.
    Look at today. Do you think the relatives of those who died at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon or that field in Pennsylvania would be happy if Bin Laden came out and said "I'm sorry" in exchange for the US to stop chasing him and let him continue on?
    Some of them, perhaps. I'm sure a few are pretty disappointed in the disgusting number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq. But those people have families, too. I'm pretty sure they love their children just as much.

But I don't think that's a very fair comparison.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    These are the typical responses which is expected since what's taught in schools here is that Japan would never surrender and an invasion would cost a million lives.

The proof though is Gen. Curtis LeMay. The "mastermind" behind the horrific firebombing raids which claimed more lives than the atomic attacks. If he thought an invasion wasn't necessary that proves my point completely. This guy would bomb his mother's house if he thought it would help his cause.

Red mentioned the atrocities committed by the Imperial Army which were hideous. I've seen pictures of Japanese soldiers using live POWs for bayonet practice and later cutting off their heads and posing them on tables with cigarettes in their mouths. It is disgusting but don't take your retribution out by incinerating innocent civilians. Instead take the fight to those who committed those horrible acts. Dropping an atomic bomb on Japanese civilians didn't bring those victims back or help soothe the pain of those comfort women.

If we just said the emperor would be spared, which he was in the end, so many lives on both sides would have been saved.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 8530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillM
    It's worth noting that today is the 64th anniversary of the hideous atomic bombing of Japanese civilians in Hiroshima. The bomb instantly killed 80,000 plus innocent people and later claimed an additional 100,000 plus from the atomic fallout. Three days later we did the same to Nagasaki.

The saddest part of this is that it was totally unnecessary. By obsessing over unconditional surrender, Truman blinded himself to reality. The Japanese were finished way before August 1945. The home islands were competely surrounded by a naval blockade and a large part of the army stranded in Manchuria. We also had total air superiority. Japan would have surrendered instantly without us having to invade as long as we would agree to spare the Emperor who was like a deity to them. We foolishly said no and insisted on unconditional surrender and the rest is history. What happened to the Emperor in the end? Nothing.

Jon Stewart had it right when he referred to Truman as a war criminal. It's too bad he later had to apologize for political reasons. He was a truly horrible President. The damage caused to our reputation is irreversible and ushered in an era of full blown military imperialism.
    This is all peanuts compared to the tragedy of Sotomayor being confirmed to the Supreme Court. The potential destruction by her outweighs a hundred atomic bombs, and it can bring absolutely no good.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhonePimpBill
    This is all peanuts compared to the tragedy of Sotomayor being confirmed to the Supreme Court. The potential destruction by her outweighs a hundred atomic bombs, and it can bring absolutely no good.
    Um....lol?

Device(s)
    G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hedcayce
    Ok, that thought sounded like it had absolutely no independant thought whatsoever.
    You could try formulating your own opinion istead of blindly following your political party.
    I don't mean to insult, just my opinion. Frankly, if you think we should've dropped a nuke in the desert you probably shouldn't be allowed to think.
    Again, try not to take offense, just my opinion.

Which political party am I blindly following? WWII was not about one party or the other.

Frankly I think we should have left Iraq years ago and that we should have either totally anihilated them or never went ...instead of this crap we're doing now which accomplishes nothing and just pisses other countries off.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cingtony
    Frankly I think we should have left Iraq years ago and that we should have either totally anihilated them or never went ...instead of this crap we're doing now which accomplishes nothing and just pisses other countries off.
    Ha! Yes, total annihilation wouldn't have pissed anyone off.

Device(s)
    G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=MisterPrez]Ha! Yes, total annihilation wouldn't have pissed anyone off.[/QUOTe

At least they would have a more valid reason to be . I'm not sure why they're so pissed now outside the middle east.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold (Rogers)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    But you also need to take into context the time. We were at war....the US was attacked. Tens of thousands of US soldiers had died, and millions worldwide had died because of the war. Nothing but complete surrender would have been enough to justify the cost. Do you think the relatives of the sailors on the USS Arizona would have accepted a truce and an "I'm sorry"? My dad fought against the Japanese in China and then against the communists. To the day he died, he harbored a dislike of the Japanese and a hatred of the communists.

Look at today. Do you think the relatives of those who died at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon or that field in Pennsylvania would be happy if Bin Laden came out and said "I'm sorry" in exchange for the US to stop chasing him and let him continue on?
    It takes a much bigger man to forgive his enemy. In this case it was the Japs that were the bigger man. They forgave the U.S. for the nukes and developped strong relations afterwards. Same as Vietnam. In case you didn't know, there are plenty of American businesses in Vietnam now.

Japan attacked America because it was backing the chinese and put an embargo on Japan.

Now, go back to 1812 and you'll find that's exactly why the U.S. invaded Canada; because of the British embargo.

So really... pot and kettle my friend.

As for 9/11? You think the terrorists attacked the u.S. just for kicks? I know a lot of people keep asking: "why do they hate us so much?". And then all kinds of stupid responses come up like: "they hate our freedom" and the likes.

Truth is, Americans just don't understand their enemies all that well. If they really knew what motivated them, perhaps they wouldn't be so judgmental towards other nations and a bit more judgmental towards themselves.

Eye for an eye leads you nowhere. Invading iraq and chasing bin laden won't resolve anything. The next one will pop up and America will be attacked again. It's inevitable.

There's a good reason America is the number 2 most hated nation on the planet (Israel is number one). America using nukes against civilians is just one more reason why "they hate you so much"!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure why they're so pissed now outside the middle east.
    ...really?

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold (Rogers)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    As for the American comment , I don't really pay attention to comments from 3rd world countries.
    Really? Well all of America listened when one of those 3rd world countries brought two towers down in New York.

Device(s)
    G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterPrez
    ...really?
    At this point , NO . But in the beginning YES.

Device(s)
    G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I'm really starting to think we need to repeat 1812.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    To quote W the a-bomb was Mission Accomplished.

We should have done the same thing circa March 2003 . I bet if we did we would have a Republican president (maybe even house and senate) and i would have voted for HIM (assuming he didn't have a woman running mate).
    Not only blindly following, but overly sexist. Anyone disagree?
    Ever wonder if people know they're stupid?

Rogers Magic on AT&T 3G

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold (Rogers)
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    I'm really starting to think we need to repeat 1812.
    What, you want us to burn down the whitehouse again?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast