Thread: E71-Music Player-General System Error

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

E71-Music Player-General System Error

I seem to be losing access to songs. Can't open or delete any playlists created with Nokia Music app. Get a "General System Error." Everything I've installed with Media Monkey works fine. I deleted the files on my memory card with Media Monkey, but they still show up as a playlist. Can't seem to reinstall the music files either. Any suggestions? Thanks

Feedback Score
    You need to either remove the database or hard reset your device. Do you have full filesystem access via patched installserver? If not, or if you don't know what I'm talking about - you probably need to hard reset.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Since I don't know what a "full file system via a patched interface" is I will probably have to reset, which is what I wanted to avoid. I have been waiting for the NAM v300 upgrade so I don't have to reinstall all my programs again. Do you suggest I reformat the memory card also. I've got a few documents that are easy to save and 1300+ songs on it? Thanks for the help.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sorry, couldn't remember all the terms. "full files system access via a pateched install server"

Feedback Score
    Copy the documents and files you need off the MicroSD. Completely reformat it, you'll have to sync the songs back afterward. Doing this ensures that all the private and hidden directories that hold the settings and databases are fully removed.

As for waiting for the NAM v3xx firmware release, unless your E71 is your main media player, I'm sure you can get by if that's the only issue you've run into. You can also look at temporarily using a different media player. I would recommend TTPod or LCG Jukebox as full replacements for the time being.

I am also holding off on resetting my device, waiting for v300 so I don't have to worry with it again.

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Looks like music player DB is corrupted. You can use a USB card reader to get access to to the music player DB files. See this thread for the files to delete to rebuild the DB - http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...ssage.id=11788

Make sure to backup the phone first.

Feedback Score
    The music database is not only stored on the microSD. It is also stored on the device and you need to kill the processes that tie it up to remove it.

I've had this issue numerous times, sometimes clearing the microSD database is simply not enough.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I backed up and reformatted my memory card. I've added music using Nokia Music, Windows Media Player, and Media Monkey, and they all seemed to be a little different, so I basically want to start over anyway, using just one source.

I'm a little confused by all the advice off of this thread, the Nokia discussions link and a further link to "portablevideo.blogspot.com." After formatting, I obviously have no files on the memory card (E, and using Y-Browser can find no \private\ files on the phone memory (C to delete.

I've removed the memory card and refreshed the music library. (No songs added of course). Switched off, removed battery, and rebooted.

What are suggestions for the next step?
    -Start adding music back to the memory card, using only one pc application (Media Monkey probably)?
    -Or, hard reset first? (Please no!) If I do, does this go back to factory firmware, or will I still be at v200 (NAM v210 never came out)?

Thanks for your continued help.

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stevercpa
    What are suggestions for the next step?
    -Start adding music back to the memory card, using only one pc application (Media Monkey probably)?

-Or, hard reset first? (Please no!) If I do, does this go back to factory firmware, or will I still be at v200 (NAM v210 never came out)?

Thanks for your continued help.
    I just copy the music files to E:\sounds\digital using a USB card reader.

The firmware will stay at v200 even after a hard reset. A hard reset is most likely not required in your case. Just try copying 2 or 3 music files to memory card and see if music player rebuilds the DB. If it does, you can transfer the whole music library to the memory card again.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Just adding music files (slowly). All seems to be well. Thanks all.