Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8900 vs Xperia X1

Feedback Score

8900 vs Xperia X1

i currently have a blackbery out 8900 with a red trackball, i used it a day and realized that i really miss having a touchscreen. The only touch screen phone i havnt tried is the X1 or the 3GS(dont like iphones). I used the magic(creaked), dream(terrible battery), Bold ( too Thick). I was wondering if it would be wise to switch to the X1. What i need is a good multimedia phone, with a keyboard, good battery, good email app, if i get the X1 ill flash it the TF3d2. Am i making a big mistake should i stick with the 8900?.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    It's really a preference. Have you gotten the chance to head down to the Rogers plus store or any store that has a demo of the Xperia? The keyboard layout is nice and tactile feedback is okay but what I couldn't stand was the windows mobile on the phone. It will definitely offer you the multimedia side since you can expand up to 16 or 32 MicroSd memory. Battery is average depending on usage and there are many firmwares you can flash to.(Consult Xda-Developers) If you know anyone who has it, I would definitely ask you to try it out. Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    You should give it a try... have you used any other winmo phones before? I'm not a fan of winmo and I find it to be terrible. The whole panels thing that the Xperia offers kind of makes the experience a bit better but I opted for the N97 instead because it does pretty much everything the Xperia does but better and its symbian instead of winmo.
    My Feedback(22)

Past Phones:
    Moto: V60i, V220, V300, V400, SLVR L7, V3i
    Nokia: 3360, 3595, 6230, 6230i, 7610, N80, N73, N82, N93i
    Samsung: X426, E316, D600, D900, Galaxy S i9000M (x2), i9100 Galaxy S2 (black)
    Sharp: 903sh (white)(x2), SH905i (white), SH906i (white)
    Sony Ericsson: Z500a, T616(x2), T637, S700i, S710a, V800, V802, K700i, K750i(x3), K800i, W800i, W810i(x3), W900i
    Siemens: S40
    Apple: iPhone 3GS (white)(x2), iPhone 4S (white), iPhone 5 (white)

Feedback Score
    Is there a reason why you don't like iPhones? I mean if you 've never tried it and don't want it just cause everyone and their mom has one, then you're not giving the iPhone a fair chance... The virtual keyboard is way better in my opinion and the X1 keyboard hasn't gotten many good reviews... Also WM is horrible UNLESS you are the type that will spend HOURS tinkering with a phone... Otherwise, the iPhone is much better out of the box than the X1.

The main flaw of the X1 is that the slide out keyboard forces you to rotate the phone. Once you rotate the screen on WM, things don't always line up right, it'll be slower than you expect (to rotate), and it also forces you to learn two keyboards (the virtual one and the physical one).

The mail clients are pretty much the same (though the iPhone renders emails better and the WM organizes emails better), and battery life I would assume are equally sucky on both phones though the X1 is probably better... multimedia is probably better on the iPhone (organizes it better), but you'll get more supported formats on the X1 (divX, ogg, wmv, etc...)

Device(s)
    Nokia N80
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Toronto)
    Feedback Score
    You'd definitely need to play around with it. It very much is personal preference.

The biggest flaw of the iPhone is the lack of multitasking. I've got IMAP GMail, BlackBerry Conncect, MSN Messenger and Palringo (GTalk) running simultaneously. Then add in Google Maps, Opera and anything else I may be doing.

I've had my X1 for almost 2 months now and the Rogers stock ROM was gone as soon as I charged the phone. CorePlayer is great for multimedia (no conversions needed, straight Xvid AVIs) but I HAD to get a 2nd battery ($30 genuine BST-41 on Craigslist) for when I don't have a USB port or the car charger.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    x1 is a pretty sick phone. Great for playing around with, plus WinMo is a techno geeks dream come true. However if you have tried (and I assumed OWNED) ALL those phones than you might as well give the x1 a shot.

I still prefer my iPhone for personal/fun use while my 8900 is strictly business. Lack of 3G sort of sucks though...
    What is Understood, Need Not Be Discussed...."

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Windows Mobile blows.

That is all.

Feedback Score
    i guess it comes down to OS preference, both firmwares have pros and cons to them respectively and suite people with different needs. As far as I know both support blackberry connect which allows some of of blackberry features to be used, i.e push email and PIN messaging .
    end of contract

Fastest Teathering Speeds on my K850i

Device(s)
    Nokia N80
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Toronto)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim-S
    Windows Mobile blows.
    That is all.
    What a [email protected] Thanks for contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinmonkie
    As far as I know both support blackberry connect which allows some of of blackberry features to be used, i.e push email and PIN messaging.
    BlackBerry Connect gets you push email and the ability to receive PINs. You can't respond yet and there is no BlackBerry Messenger. (Though I haven't found BBM to be the most reliable.)

Check out Palringo: http://www.palringo.com/en/ca/

Feedback Score
    i heard though via xdadevelopers this is speculation so I apologize if I am wrong but they are in development of blackberry connection suite which allows pin to be sent and received

Device(s)
    Nokia N80
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (Toronto)
    Feedback Score
    Yup. It's the "BlackBerry Application Suite" announced back in 2007 April. However, last I heard, it isn't high priority unfortunately so don't know when it will finally be available.

http://press.rim.com/release.jsp?id=1229

Device(s)
    Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    how well does Gmail work on the X1?

is the email still push? or no? full HTML emails?
    Eddie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jordantellier
    how well does Gmail work on the X1?

is the email still push? or no? full HTML emails?
    Like on any other WM phone.

It's not push (unless you sign up for some other 3rd party service that forwards gmail to an exchange server w/push), and the WM pocket outlook mail client will reformat the email to fit the smaller width screen. It does support and render HTML emails... It'll be ugly but there...

Device(s)
    Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    never used a WM phone strictly blackberry, so im unaware of the capabilities of gmail on WM

Device(s)
    HTC Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility Canada
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JPTN
    BlackBerry Connect gets you push email and the ability to receive PINs. You can't respond yet and there is no BlackBerry Messenger. (Though I haven't found BBM to be the most reliable.)

Check out Palringo: http://www.palringo.com/en/ca/
    Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but do you need BIS services on your cellphone plan for the pin to allow you to receive messages?! Or can you just receive them with any old data plan. And if you could link me somewhere on how to get my BB Connect working I'd appriciate it. =)

As for the debate, personally I love winMo! I've in the past used "hacked" (custom) roms for my old HTC touch due to all the rumors about lack of stability. However, I am currently running winmo 6.1 STOCK rom and aside from being high on the cpu (50% when it boots) its really pretty stable. Then again my phone has a fairly slow CPU and lacks a bit of ram. For the most part the phone is quick and responsive.

As for Windows Mobile on its own, I love it. Want push e-mail? Well, just sign up for a live account @ hotmail and you have the ability to use PUSH e-mail. Its really as simple as that. Keep in mind though ]with push services you'll really reduce your batterylife (Like seriously). Personally I recommend every 15 minutes to sync, it'll do wonders for extending your batterylife.

Aside from that I'd say you'll be hard pressed (minus bb messenger) to find something your X1 can't do. As for chatting, although I do like the above mentioned Palringo, you can also try a new app called Pigeon, its really good with battery and has really low data consumption.

As for the above debate about virtual keyboards being better than physical... Well, I have a buddy that just bought an iPhone a couple of days ago and is selling it now because the virutal keyboard just isn't his thing. Personally I love my virtual keyboard on my touch, so its really a personal choice.

So to conclude, its a really deep and personal choice about what you'd like to do. You can go with either and be happy, but you have to make that choice. But I assure you any phone you go with will be able to do what you need it to do, just be sure to know if you give up the bb you'll be losing the bb messenger until something new comes out to remedy that problem.

Hope I helped.
    Phone :: HTC Touch (Windows Mobile 6.1)
    Condition :: 10 / 10
    Plan :: 300 Daytime Minutes, 6 Pm Evenings, Call Display, Voice Mail, 3-Way Calling ALL, Unlimted Text, Unlimited Mobile Browser @ 30 + tax

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast