Thread: Travelling to Europe with unlocked T-Mobile phone - Prepaid SIM options?

Feedback Score

Travelling to Europe with unlocked T-Mobile phone - Prepaid SIM options?

I will be going to Denmark, Belgium, Holland, France, Spain, and Greece...staying for only a couple days at each country. I have an unlocked quad-band T-Mobile phone, and am wondering if there are prepaid SIM options that work across multiple countries?

I would primarily like to use it to stay in touch with family in the U.S., but it could come in handy for making local calls as well. What should I be looking to get so that it doesn't get too expensive?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone DE
    Feedback Score
    If you're just doing light calling, you could just buy a local SIM in the first country you enter and then roam on it in the subsequent countries. Roaming costs are capped by EU law to around 50 cents outgoing and 20 cents incoming to anywhere in the EU (the actual rate depends on the VAT of the home country, though the difference is only a cent or two at most). However, this does not govern calls terminating outside the EU (or any foreign calls from within the home country), so calls to the US could be expensive.

Have a look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/operators.html for prepaid SIM rates in the different countries.

You might also consider an international SIM. See http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html for a comparison of different providers.

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Motel75
    If you're just doing light calling, you could just buy a local SIM in the first country you enter and then roam on it in the subsequent countries. Roaming costs are capped by EU law to around 50 cents outgoing and 20 cents incoming to anywhere in the EU (the actual rate depends on the VAT of the home country, though the difference is only a cent or two at most). However, this does not govern calls terminating outside the EU (or any foreign calls from within the home country), so calls to the US could be expensive.

Have a look at http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/operators.html for prepaid SIM rates in the different countries.

You might also consider an international SIM. See http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/international.html for a comparison of different providers.
    That's 50 EURO cents just to be clear. Which is about 71˘ US at today's currency rate.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    it's actuallu 43 eurocents outgoing which is 60 US cents and then 19 eurocents incoming which is 42 US cents.

Feedback Score
    Glad to hear roaming costs are capped, as that's one less thing to think about.

And thanks for the link to the prepaid SIMs. I'm trying to make some sense out of the figures and determine which one would work best.
    I'll be going to Copenhagen, Denmark first for one day and will be roaming throughout Europe for the rest of the 2 weeks. I plan on making short (<5min) daily calls to the U.S. Can anyone recommend a prepaid SIM for this sort of short-term travel that has decent enough international rates to the U.S.?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone DE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barciur
    it's actuallu 43 eurocents outgoing which is 60 US cents and then 19 eurocents incoming which is 42 US cents.
    Yes, plus VAT (= value-added tax), which varies from country to country (e.g., Germany = 19 percent). Which is why I gave an approximation above.

However, 19 eurocents isn't 42 US cents, but around 27-28, depending on the exchange rate.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    lol i've no idea how i got that, i think maybe i put 29 cents in google or something.
    well yeah every country has diff vat but it's all similar like poland 22, germnay 19 etc.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Do you need to use the phone so people back home can call you ?
    then you need to figure out what recieving roaming calls cost

if it only for you calling home you can always call them from a payphone .

One thing having a local Sim , locals will call you back !
    they may not call back a Denmark number if you are in Greece etc

Please report back after your trip and how it went

VW
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    HTC Hero
    Feedback Score
    Can someone move this thread to the European section? I know that section isn't particularly active but moving these threads that have nothing to do with T-mobile USA prepaid there will help that section become more active.

Feedback Score
    Maybe you should consider the Searoam global sim, an offshoot of the older Maxroam brand. It has the unique aspect of offering a 50 cent a minute rate incoming/outgoing to any country from any country in the world, all the time. All incoming sms/text in any country is always free. Outgoing text is like 35 cents if I recall . For $40 online, you get a sim with $20 topup time.

Or try something like Jolt World/Mobile-NET global sim. www.netincusa.com or www.joltworld.com Their rates vary ,but can be very close to the Searoam sim in those countries. Most of their rates are somewhat higher then Searoams ( 55 to 65 cents a US minute calling out. Sms is same. Incoming sms is free, and All incoming calls to those countries are free.)

Searoam has no expiration date or hidden fees. First minute is charged full 50 US cents, each additional minute is charged in 10 second increments so a 1 minute ten second call costs you 60 cents not a whole US Dollar.

I don't know as much about Jolt World, but they have the incoming free sms/AND calling as a big advantage. I don't see any point in getting five sims for five countries as your stays are so short.

For simplicity , Searoam, for free incoming calls, Mobility Net/Jolt World or other similar Global sims. Avoid Mobal. They are a ripoff . The sim is cheap but minute rates tear you up.

Searoam sim is the only global sim I've ever seen that has one flat rate like Net10 for the whole world. No one else has this unique one flat rate pricing system.

Also , look into EU only sims that cover multiple countries on prepaidgsm.net.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah EU SIM will be better than Searoam because it will have cheaper rates..