Thread: Does prepaid phone from T-Mo Netherlands work with T-Mo prepaid in France?

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Does prepaid phone from T-Mo Netherlands work with T-Mo prepaid in France?

Hi,

I bought a prepaid phone from T-Mobile while I was in Amsterdam last year. My friend is soon going to Paris for 10 days and I was wondering if she can bring along the T-Mobile phone that I bought from Netherlands and use it with a T-Mobile prepaid card from France?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Not if it's sim locked; it's a separate network. Although I used to be able to use T-Mobile Poland (Era) sim card in T-Mobile USA locked card.. so there may be a slight change but I wouldn't bet on it. You can just roam since inside-EU rates are fairly cheap nowadays.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    How about this:
    If she has a quadband prepaid phone from the U.S. and can get t-mobile to unlock the sim. Can she buy a prepaid sim card from there and use the same phone?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostcell
    How about this:
    If she has a quadband prepaid phone from the U.S. and can get t-mobile to unlock the sim. Can she buy a prepaid sim card from there and use the same phone?
    Yes .

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    First of all, there is no T Mobile France....if the phone is (sim) locked it has to be unlocked.....don't know how easy that is to do in France....you can purchase pretty cheaply unlocked gsm hones with at least the 1800 mhz. band but preferably both 900 and 1800 for use on gsm networks in France (and the rest of Europe)...

You might also look at ekit cards available on ebay which will give you both a US and UK number and allow you to receive calls made to the USA number for 19˘/minute in France (calls to the UK number will be free to receive in France) and calls back to the USA arent' too bad, only 49˘/minute (although there are cheaper solutions).....

She could also use the Dutch sim card and pay €0.19 to receive calls made to the dutch number and something like €0,43 to make calls within the eu.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
    First of all, there is no T Mobile France....if the phone is (sim) locked it has to be unlocked.....don't know how easy that is to do in France....you can purchase pretty cheaply unlocked gsm hones with at least the 1800 mhz. band but preferably both 900 and 1800 for use on gsm networks in France (and the rest of Europe)...

You might also look at ekit cards available on ebay which will give you both a US and UK number and allow you to receive calls made to the USA number for 19˘/minute in France (calls to the UK number will be free to receive in France) and calls back to the USA arent' too bad, only 49˘/minute (although there are cheaper solutions).....

She could also use the Dutch sim card and pay €0.19 to receive calls made to the dutch number and something like €0,43 to make calls within the eu.
    do you (or anyone else) have experience with ekit? I looked it up on ebay, and their website. Seems too good to be true, and then I emailed customer service and found out that the "free incoming" has limitations:
    (1) only calls to the global (UK +44) number qualify for free
    (2) you only get 30mins free per account

I guess overall, that's $20 for 30minutes of free incoming and $10 of credit to call with. Worth it?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Their web site is pretty clear that incoming in their zone 1 (mostly Western Europe but Australia too and several others) are free to the +44 number and cost 19˘/minute to the +1 number.....I used it a bit this past June in Germany, France and England and it seemed to work fine. check out some of the report on www.prepaidgsm.net.

Device(s)
    Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
    Their web site is pretty clear that incoming in their zone 1 (mostly Western Europe but Australia too and several others) are free to the +44 number and cost 19˘/minute to the +1 number.....I used it a bit this past June in Germany, France and England and it seemed to work fine. check out some of the report on www.prepaidgsm.net.
    Thanks Jeff, the website you referenced is really useful!

I emailed ekit's customer service yesterday to get clarification on 2 statements in their features that seemed to contradict each other:
    # FREE to receive calls in more than 60 countries (on your Global number)
    # FREE for family and friends to call you (USD 39c per minute surcharge applies)

And I got this response:
    > In order to receive Free Incoming calls you must be in a Free Incoming
    > call country such as France. Furthermore, in order for the call to be
    > free you must receive the call to your Global +44 number. If you receive
    > a call to your US +1 number the call will not be free.
    >
    > You will receive a Toll-Free number making if free for friends and
    > family to contact you at your Global +44 number free of charge for you
    > for the first 30 minutes. After using the Toll-Free number for more than
    > 30 minutes a .39 cents per minute surcharge applies to you. As long as
    > people call you direct to your Global +44 number and you're in a Free
    > Incoming call country then the call would indeed be free. Surcharges
    > only apply when receiving calls to your US +1 or when receiving calls
    > via the Toll-Free number AFTER the initial 30 free minutes.

And after further clarification, I got this:
    The 30 minutes is for the lifetime of the phone. 30 minutes is the total
    you get it does not reset itself or start over when a call is done.

Did you get charged (at $0.39/min?) when you went over 30minutes of free incoming calls?

Thanks.