Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contract is up -- what phone should I buy (and then immediately sell)?

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/30GB (with family discount)
    Feedback Score

Toronto Contract is up -- what phone should I buy (and then immediately sell)?

So my contract is up for renewal at the end of this month.

I was really hoping Fido would get the Nokia 5800 XM but it looks like I'm stuck with the crap they're currently peddling.

FYI, I'm on the original City Fido and only have the one line, so I can't get an iPhone (and sell it) without losing my SAF credit.

I'm thinking the locked BB Pearl will have the highest resale value BNIB... Would that be correct?

Think Fido will give me two or three of them if I ask nicely?
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    iphone
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score

no saf

I don't believe you get a upgrade if you don't pay saf, I was told no unless i wanted to start paying saf each month, its not just the iphone you can't get its any phone. But if your doing it for quick cash agree to pay the saf and get the iphone 3gs, flip it for 650 and basically you got a loan that you pay back at 8 a month or whatever it is.
    Good ××××ing luck
    twitter: gthompson75

Feedback Score
    If you order a BlackBerry Pearl through Customer Service, you must add a Blackberry Data Option with a 2 year agreement (if using your Fidodollars)...
    Disclaimer: All my posts, replies, comments and/or opinions expressed on www.howardforums.com are my own contribution only. The views expressed on this page do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of Fido, its management or employees.
    Fritz Z24...

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    You don't get discounted handsets on CityFido renewals unless you have another line. Your only option is FidoDollars. However, you should have a bunch of them saved up by now!

Never give up your SAF discount!

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i picked the samsung phone to resell...not much selection

retention csr said iphone/blackberry must take a 3 year data/voice contract..im not on city fido though...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    LMAO! The pearl would be the biggest waste of time/effort to sell.

You wont get more than 150$ for it BNIB and with that you have to find someone dumb enough 'wanting' an 8100.

If they still have them, the Samsung Jack would be most feasible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCredible
    You don't get discounted handsets on CityFido renewals unless you have another line. Your only option is FidoDollars. However, you should have a bunch of them saved up by now!

Never give up your SAF discount!
    I'd gladly give up saf discount for a $10 monthly credit lol

Device(s)
    IPHONE 3G S
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    i just got the iphone 3gs and on city fido and still have the saf on account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by v600
    i just got the iphone 3gs and on city fido and still have the saf on account.
    saf credit or still paying saf?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the OP that you can get credits for a contract?

If you dont want a cell phone, just get credits. A lot of us get minimum $15/month and you can take a 2 or 3 year agreement. You also keep your CityFido which includes SAF.
    Go here to participate in changing Canada's Digital Future! http://de-en.gc.ca/home/

Canada's Net Neutrality Petition http://www.saveournet.ca/

Dissolve the CRTC! http://dissolvethecrtc.ca/

Device(s)
    IPHONE 3G S
    Carrier(s)
    fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by makubex.
    saf credit or still paying saf?

still paying the 6.95 saf

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Tony2468
    Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the OP that you can get credits for a contract?

If you dont want a cell phone, just get credits. A lot of us get minimum $15/month and you can take a 2 or 3 year agreement. You also keep your CityFido which includes SAF.
    So I can take the grand total of my Fido Dollars (400-something, I think) and divide that up over my contract term for monthy credits?

That would be ok, I guess...

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie
    So I can take the grand total of my Fido Dollars (400-something, I think) and divide that up over my contract term for monthy credits?

That would be ok, I guess...
    No. Fido dollars have nothing to do with it. You get credits and keep your fido dollars.

Think of it this way. You get a phone under an agreement and Fido subsidizes it and you pay off the subsidy in your monthly fees.. Now you don't want a phone so you ask to credit your monthly fee the subsidy. If you do the math the iPhone subsidy is $15/month after taxes/fees.

You can save your fido dollars or use them on buying a phone at retail price.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Toronto

Is this something I have to request through retentions, or is it a standard practice for contract renewals?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Toronto

No love from Fido CS on that -- I had to choose either the handset subsidy or the SAF credit.

I might have come out ahead on the subsidy for this term, but didn't want to risk losing my SAF for my next renewal in 2011.

Something tells me the SAF will still be alive and kicking then...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast