Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: N900 First impressions(Video)

Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    Gonna be a year before there are any applications worth having that device for. I will wait for a couple generations after seeing the video. Lots of eye candy......and unrealized possibilities with Linux so far....not worth $700 to be a beta tester. I am thankfully one of the few who can be happy with the N97 for long while.
    SMART PHONE TEST
    ATT since before Cingular
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    GT-N7100

Omega v7.2 JB - 4.1.2 XXDLJ2

Kernel: XXDLJ2
    Modem: XXDLJ2

64GB Sandisk class 6

Ebay-Tombo7777
    Previous, N82,N95-2,N95-4, N97 iPhone 3GS, Captivate, SGSII i9100, ATT Note SGH-i777 Sold $475 Note N7000 Sold $340

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910
    Carrier(s)
    Anything GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tamoghno
    May be the opengl2 standard graphics helps. Btw , flash support even in my 5800 is not too bad considering only 400mhz and no graphics chip . So n900 may be good.
    Nokia did an boatload of optimizations (that you don't find on the i8910 BTW) to playback smooth Flash video.
    Questions?
    ([email protected]) or send me a PM

[Flickr][Ovi][YouTube][Qik][Twitter]

Device(s)
    Samsung i8910
    Carrier(s)
    Anything GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninite
    More MHz != more performance.
    Tell that to everyone whining about the N97 processor.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It looks pretty good and I would consider it. This iPhone is reliable beyond my ability to express in words, but it bores me. The N900 interface looks like they figured out "touch screen interface 101" and earned a passing score.

Now if it has proper Exchange support with server search and does not reboot/freeze/stall and has a proper in device search it would beat out the iPhone for my use because of the keyboard. I don't care for app store and all that jazz. I do need some basic news apps like Wall Street Journal or Associated Press, just something to read on the commute.

Whatever said and done this thing ***** on any Symbian device. Those of you who think your N97 is even in the same league as this can please pass me whatever they are smoking. Symbian device cannot even properly run without headaches like clearing phone memory or worrying about stupid crap like that. Symbian is pure crap.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGS II i9100 /Note 2 N7100/Nokia 6126
    Carrier(s)
    ATT since before they went Orange....
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329

Whatever said and done this thing ***** on any Symbian device. Those of you who think your N97 is even in the same league as this can please pass me whatever they are smoking. Symbian device cannot even properly run without headaches like clearing phone memory or worrying about stupid crap like that. Symbian is pure crap.
    No one said the N900 was in the same"league" as the proposed N900. Please point to that post and I will laugh with you!

Some of us are saying the N97 is good enough for now and will get better and some of us won't be looking for UPS tracking number updates on a device that looks great in a Nokia Video....even if it did have ATT 3G out the gate.

If you think that will be a perfect device out the gate. I want what you are smoking. I think the N900 smokes the N97 on paper and in Nokia Videos.....but thats as far as I will bite........... until it has been out awhile and FW upgraded I'm not being their "beta tester" By that time the N97 will be what it should have been and it will be much better and a pleasure to use while waiting for the N900 to get it's bugs worked out and the inevitable price drop.....win win...in the mean time using a refreshed "crappy Symbian" based N97..........Life is grand...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    It looks pretty good and I would consider it.
    The hardware specs certainly look amazing. But one thing I've been thinking lately is that using two hands and landscape mode for anything other than the phone dialer interface could be a little annoying. It may be more prudent to listen to their Executive VP Anssi Vanjoki and wait for the next version.

Feedback Score
    The phone looks amazing but it's probably going to be a fair bit above my budget. What's more, it looks like Nokia is marketing this as a niche device so I am guessing its price won't come down very quickly. I am also a bit worried about the mostly landscape interface. One-handed use is pretty important in a phone and that's pretty difficult to do in landscape. A D-pad would have been nice as well.

Still overall I am pretty excited about the device. If it drops about 25% in price at some point it could be my next phone. I am also hoping it pushes Samsung into releasing a similar phone for Android.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    still not in the maemo section, either...??
    in da hood we say "don't drink & drive, park & sip"

Device(s)
    Galaxy Nexus, N9, Nexus One, N900, ipad
    Feedback Score
    There's such a disconnect between people in Hofo and those on talk.maemo it's crazy.

I'm a user that sits right in the middle. I have the time/energy/knowledge to set my mobile Linux device up. But I also want it to make ALL other phone owners cry after 30 seconds of clicking on it when I let them "try it".

To current Maemo users: We're going mainstream PHONE. We should try to welcome the new user base and show them how much of a fundamental change Maemo is from WM/S60x/Apple/Android.

To current phone users: The standard questions of software compatibility don't exist in the current usage of the word. For example, if there's a problem with the PDF reader, it becomes a community problem and is solved by the community.

One last example I'd like to share is the view on this spec of the N900.

The USB charger/Data port.
    This can be used to plug in an external hard drive or thumb drive.

A great example of just how powerful Maemo can be.

Overall I'll be getting this device. Development on the software has been going on for a long time, and the community work that has gone into this software would astound you. I can't wait to see all the other fair weather nerds that embraces this device and becomes a die hard.

Feedback Score
    I think Nokia/Dr. Jaaksi got it right when he said this is the best device ever for some (and probably quite many) users. But for a great many users S60/SF will continue to the best way to go for a fair bit of time and perhaps indefinitely IF (a big if) SF gets it right. But e.g. the fact that the N900 for the time being at least won't have any music syncing app out of the box (if I got Dr. Jaaksi correctly you can only drag and drop at this point) will mean that it won't be the right device for quite a few more mainstream users.

Will I get it? You bet!

Device(s)
    Nokia N8, BBB 9700
    Carrier(s)
    American Telephone and Telegraph
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Konceptz
    To current phone users: The standard questions of software compatibility don't exist in the current usage of the word. For example, if there's a problem with the PDF reader, it becomes a community problem and is solved by the community.
    That will be true only for people who track software updates on maemo.org (mainly, more or less the same people who are currently using the N800/N810).

Most people will get such fixes only through software updates from Nokia. Unless Nokia treats Maemo 5 much better than they have done Symbian/S60 (and, for that matter, Maemo up to this point), there will still be a lot of complaints about firmware bugs, issues etc.

Nokia seem to keep missing that one point that Steve Jobs got early on: First impressions are everything. When introducing something new/unfamiliar to most people, you get one chance to form their opinion of your product. They missed the boat with the N97 (even if they are now fixing most of the issues); they also did not put much effort into the N800/N810 product line up to now. Let's hope that changes.

FWIW, I had a N800, but got rid of it last year, as most of my portable needs were served by the N95...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2