Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop?

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Remote Desktop?

Has anyone set this up successfully? I have a laptop connected to the net via wifi and i was trying to figure out how to get Remote Desktop working with my laptop

i saw a youtube video of someone using this app and i cant figure how to set it up at all. how do u figure out the computer name, and the domain? im completely lost any help is appreciated
    http://www.twitter.com/sedp23

Windows Phone 7 >>>>> iPhone & Android

Device(s)
    Fascinate
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Yes, works fine on my computer using my Omnia. I'd make sure you have it set up properly by using another computer to connect to it first.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Republic
    Feedback Score
    First things first, you need to be running XP Pro/Media Center or Vista Business/ Ultimate (or the Windows 7 equivalent). If you arent using any of those operating systems, forget about it.
    If you are using the right OS, right click My Computer (Computer in Vista) and choose Properties. In XP, click the Remote tab, tick the box for Remote Desktop (bottom half of the dialog) and press OK. In Vista, you'd click Advanced system settings on the left side of the system properties screen, Remote tab, Allow connections from computers running any version and OK. Firewall should be automatically configured to let you through. Then on your TP, connect to your WiFi network, go to remote desktop and type in either your computer's name or it's IP address, and it will connect.
    Computer name will be listed in XP in the System Properties window, computer name tab; Vista, in the System properties window. IP address can be found by choosing start>run>type cmd and press enter>ipconfig and press enter.
    It's also possible to set up port forwarding on your router and use DynDNS to be able to access your remote desktop anywhere outside of your personal WiFi network, but that's the next step once you get this working.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrous9200
    First things first, you need to be running XP Pro/Media Center or Vista Business/ Ultimate (or the Windows 7 equivalent). If you arent using any of those operating systems, forget about it.
    If you are using the right OS, right click My Computer (Computer in Vista) and choose Properties. In XP, click the Remote tab, tick the box for Remote Desktop (bottom half of the dialog) and press OK. In Vista, you'd click Advanced system settings on the left side of the system properties screen, Remote tab, Allow connections from computers running any version and OK. Firewall should be automatically configured to let you through. Then on your TP, connect to your WiFi network, go to remote desktop and type in either your computer's name or it's IP address, and it will connect.
    Computer name will be listed in XP in the System Properties window, computer name tab; Vista, in the System properties window. IP address can be found by choosing start>run>type cmd and press enter>ipconfig and press enter.
    It's also possible to set up port forwarding on your router and use DynDNS to be able to access your remote desktop anywhere outside of your personal WiFi network, but that's the next step once you get this working.
    What he said. I've done it both at work and at home using my Saga.

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    i have a netgear router how do u set up port forwarding? i've tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my web browser but it never works

edit: i have windows vista if it matters

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Republic
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03
    i have a netgear router how do u set up port forwarding? i've tried going to 192.168.1.1 in my web browser but it never works

edit: i have windows vista if it matters
    http://portforward.com/
    Find your router and select it, find the Remote Desktop guide and select it. (Remote Desktop uses port 3389 by the way)
    For Netgear, going to 192.168.1.1 or http://www.routerlogin.net should definitely work.
    What edition of Vista do you have? There are 4 different ones and each has different capability (and only 2 of them do Remote Desktop).

Feedback Score
    Or just use LogMeIn free.

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    http://portforward.com/
    Find your router and select it, find the Remote Desktop guide and select it. (Remote Desktop uses port 3389 by the way)172.16.0.
    For Netgear, going to 192.168.1.1 or http://www.routerlogin.net should definitely work.
    What edition of Vista do you have? There are 4 different ones and each has different capability (and only 2 of them do Remote Desktop).
    when i get to the part that says enter my ip address in the browser it never works thats where i keep gettin stuck at , and routerlogin.net doesnt let me set anything

i have windows vista home premium

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Orwig
    Or just use LogMeIn free.
    Yup, I use LogMeIn Free and it's bulletproof and very, very easy to set up.

Did I mention it's also free?

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    is logmein the exact same thing as remote desktop?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong03
    is logmein the exact same thing as remote desktop?
    Better IMHO.
    It allows you to totally control a remote PC from Windows Mobile or another PC. It gives you more 'zoom' controls, which is very helpful on the PDA.

It handles firewalls and the IP address automatically for you.

A few things, like remote printing, are disabled on the free version.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Republic
    Feedback Score
    I use LogMeIn free for computers without RDP and it's got good basic features and is easy to setup. But I haven't figured out how to view LogMeIn desktops through my phone, how do you do it?

Device(s)
    HTC Trophy
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    where do i get logmein from? and how u set it up? im just about givin up on remote desktop that stuff is too hard...

can u view the desktop jus like u can with remote desktop tho?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Republic
    Feedback Score
    www.logmein.com

you can view the desktop fine but like I said I can't find anything for WinMo that will allow me to view my LogMeIn desktop. Plus since you have Vista Home Premium, you won't even be able to use Remote Desktop so forget about that.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Create a Logmein account on your PC that you want to control and download the little snippet onto that PC. Thel go to Logmein.com from your mobile device in Pocket Internet Explorer (not Opera, etc.) You should be guided from there. Will need to download a small piece of software to your mobile device.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast