Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Blackberry before the mandatory data plan?

Device(s)
    Nokia something-before VZW bought VoiceStream
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

A Blackberry before the mandatory data plan?

I'm looking for an older/recent Blackberry for Verizon that was before the mandatory data plan.

Any ideas?

Another question though, did Blackberry's always require data?

Device(s)
    Samsung Rogue
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    To my knowledge, VZW has always required a data plan on PDAs and BBs, since the time of the dinosaurs. I think that answers both your questions... sorry.

I get better speed on a Rev. 0 device than a Rev. A

Device(s)
    Nokia something-before VZW bought VoiceStream
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I sorta thought so. Ok thanks.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    One of the VZW reps that I talked to said that any BB that is activated on the network needs a data plan.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Blackberrys have always required a data plan, lowest I can recall was $24.99. Regular PDA's that were launched before Nov. 14, 2008 can be activated still with just a pay as you go data feature. So those are your only option to get and not pay extra for.

Feedback Score
    I recall there was a time quite a few years back when BBs didn't need to have a data feature/plan, but I could be off. In any case, the data requirement for BB phones isn't based on some release date or phone itself, it's just basically down to any BB (no matter how old or new) that is going to be activated today would need to have a data feature/plan.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9630 Tour
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What good is a blackberry without a data plan anyways? They make dumb phones for people who dont want messaging and internet on their phones.

Device(s)
    Bold 9930
    Carrier(s)
    Big Red
    Feedback Score
    There's a major diff between a smartphone and a BlackBerry's dataplan. Some of the money from BlackBerry's plan goes back to RIM, to operate the servers through which all e-mail travels.

At least Nextel has always required a data plan for its RIM devices. Devices without a data plan sometimes saw one added without customer intervention.
    Silence = Death

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tduffysd
    What good is a blackberry without a data plan anyways? They make dumb phones for people who dont want messaging and internet on their phones.
    There's not much need to usually go into this dicussion given that it's been had many times already--people might want a phone that has some PDA features like a nice calendar and alerts system, a nice notepad system, various other nice features, among them a nice keyboard perhaps that they like over others. There are many reasons to want a phone like a BB or a PDA one without even really wanting or needing data. Sure, for the most part most people use the phones at least in part for data, but that's absolutely not the case for everyone by far. It doesn't mean that they should need to go with other phones if they like these kind of phones for many of their other features other than data.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    There's not much need to usually go into this dicussion given that it's been had many times already--people might want a phone that has some PDA features like a nice calendar and alerts system, a nice notepad system, various other nice features, among them a nice keyboard perhaps that they like over others. There are many reasons to want a phone like a BB or a PDA one without even really wanting or needing data. Sure, for the most part most people use the phones at least in part for data, but that's absolutely not the case for everyone by far. It doesn't mean that they should need to go with other phones if they like these kind of phones for many of their other features other than data.
    I agree. I think there's a very strong case for this in view of the near-disappearance of the PDA. Aside from the iPod Touch, there really isn't a legitimate PDA device left on the market. My parents had long wanted a combination phone-PDA as their PDAs were both failing, and luckily the Env Touch came along just in the nick of time. Now, Verizon taketh away through requiring a very poor and overpriced data plan on all future phones in this category.

The Blackberries are something of a case apart due to the ongoing integration of RIM's business model with your contract in view of their involvement in email. Presumably RIM requires some kind of ongoing royalty. I can even see how Verizon themselves would want to ape RIM's business model by extending that requirement to all true smartphones. But to start putting data requirements on feature phones like the Samsung Rogue is taking it a step too far -- it effectively forces anyone on Verizon who still wants a simple PDA to be paying rent for it. Or else buy an iPod Touch and carry two devices around.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 | Moto X | Galaxy Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon|AT&T|Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor
    it effectively forces anyone on Verizon who still wants a simple PDA to be paying rent for it. Or else buy an iPod Touch and carry two devices around.
    So far this approach has served Verizon well - and the other carriers have followed suit.

Device(s)
    Razr M
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    VZW has data plans, and then they have BB plans. they told me I had to get a BB plan for both of the BOGO BB's I got if i got em. they suggested take advantage of the BOGO but only activate the main line with a BB plan. keep the other one in the box till I could afford the other BB plan. (i have 2 other lines and extra minutes I want to kill at the end of my contract)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksucks
    VZW has data plans, and then they have BB plans. they told me I had to get a BB plan for both of the BOGO BB's I got if i got em. they suggested take advantage of the BOGO but only activate the main line with a BB plan. keep the other one in the box till I could afford the other BB plan. (i have 2 other lines and extra minutes I want to kill at the end of my contract)
    Just make sure you at least activate both BB phones so that you don't get charged the full price for them.

Device(s)
    Razr M
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    zing, you cant activate it without the BB data plan. she made it seem like i could just get it "free" with the one i activated on my new 2 year contract and leave it in the box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksucks
    zing, you cant activate it without the BB data plan. she made it seem like i could just get it "free" with the one i activated on my new 2 year contract and leave it in the box.
    You can activate it for a few minutes (selecting a data plan) and then re-activate the phone you had before removing the data plan (if that phone doesn't need it). In which case you would just be charged some pro-rated part of the data feature, which at $30/month would be $1/day, so they would likely just charge you that $1 (since I don't think they can bill for less than a day when pro-rating). Not that bad really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast