Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T's 3G MicroCell does unlimited calling, but it ain't cheap

AT&T's 3G MicroCell does unlimited calling, but it ain't cheap

by Chris Ziegler posted Sep 20th 2009 at 6:20PM
    How much would you expect to pay to cover AT&T's dead zone using your own internet bandwidth? We appreciate that these guys can't blanket every nook and cranny with HSPA, but carriers need to understand that femtocells are ultimately tools to help them retain customers who'd otherwise have to leave for greener pastures. AT&T's certainly not treating it that way with the 3G MicroCell. Let's compare:

* Sprint's Airave runs $4.99 a month, but they'll give it to you for free if the alternative canceling your service. Unlimited use is $10 a month.
    * Verizon charges nothing once you buy the unit, though there's no unlimited calling option available.
    * T-Mobile offers unlimited calling through its WiFi-based [email protected] service for $9.99 a month.
    * AT&T's going to charge $19.99 a month for unlimited use unless you've got internet or landline (ironic) service with them, in which case you'll pay $9.99. If you've got both internet and landline accounts, it's free.

It's nice to have unlimited calling tacked on as an option here, but it should be exactly half as much, end of story -- and in an era where landlines are on life support (and femtocells should be helping to accelerate their demise), the triple play tie-in is wrongheaded. Of course, none of this is official just yet, but with pamphlets already circulating in retail channels, these numbers look like the real deal. A shame, isn't it?

[Thanks, anonymous tipster]
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/20/a...it-aint-cheap/

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Very interesting. This confirms the 20 bucks that I have been hearing about, but the 10 bucks is new. As long as the unit itself is the $150 price that is rumored, I will be happy. 150 is much less than I was expecting ATT to try to pull...I guess they will try to heavily upsell the unlimited plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have a landline from AT&T, but I don't need this.. perfect service in my house lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max / iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    I hope purchasing the femtocell doesn't require a contract, a monthly fee to use or a lame requirement that I have to purchase an additional feature for it to work. If that's the case, I might well forget about it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope...just buy the unit itself and you are set.

They will try to sell you the unlimited plan, but it is not necessary.

Device(s)
    HTC TILT, 8525, BJI, BJII, SE w580i, w760a, z750a
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    hmm well look at it this way, if early NW is 16.99 for family plans(I'm guessing at this number btw), and unlimited calling is 20 bucks a month, that might be a nice way to build up some rollover when you need to.

In my situation that route would be way more useful than the early NW weekends would be....then when we don't have unlim. calling we'll just have strong coverage indoors. eventually that won't be a gain once centenial's network is integrated.
    iPhone 4 on AT&T:

http://www.xti9.com/v3xx[/FONT][/SIZE]

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Once again websites on the net get info before att employees:|

I don't quite understand the pricing. Is it $20 only if you want to get unlimited calling while using the device otherwise it will still use your minutes as normal for free?

Feedback Score
    Correct. You have the option of the MicroCell Unlimited calling plan or if you choose no Unlimited plan then you use your existing bucket of AT&T cell phone minutes.

Another good feature is that you can still share your MicroCell with friends and they will use their own AT&T rate plan bucket of minutes. The access is based in individual AT&T phone number.

Dave

Device(s)
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    That's not bad at all then!

And for $150 that's not bad at all.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    good deal to those with bundled services

Check out my buyer/seller feedback: My HoFo Feedback

Proud AT&T customer with a grandfathered plan!

Device(s)
    iPhone X (Verizon), Pixel 2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Houston Cellular/Cingular/At&t - (2000-2018) T-Mobile (2018-present, VZW (2011-present)
    Feedback Score
    Awsome, its free for me! We have at&t elite dsl, landline, and cellular all on the same bill. Although I wonder, do they require the device to actually be used on the at&t dsl to get that rate? Because, I have Comcast at my other house and I might want to use it there sometimes.

Device(s)
    LG G2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Great deal for ATT, cuts down on their costs and keeps those iPhone people at bay. It's even a segway for users to understand packet based voice for when LTE starts using it.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold
    Carrier(s)
    At&t or whatever they are this week
    Feedback Score
    I better get no monthly fee,I got internet and U-verse tv.We will have to talk about this.lol

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by technoevil
    Awsome, its free for me! We have at&t elite dsl, landline, and cellular all on the same bill. Although I wonder, do they require the device to actually be used on the at&t dsl to get that rate? Because, I have Comcast at my other house and I might want to use it there sometimes.
    Well I would get it free registured to the AT&T DSL then later on move it to the other place with Comcast, hook it up while its activated and see. I think it would work fine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tpm1999
    Nope...just buy the unit itself and you are set.
    Do you know for certain that no contract is required? Verizon does require a 2 year contract for their device.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast