Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will Windows Live Messenger be supported as a instant messaging service on the N900?

Device(s)
    N95 8gb
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oddsocks
    I doubt it will be integrated like how WebOS integrates the messaging application with AIM, MSN, Yahoo and ICQ for instance.

But what does that really matter when you can have ONE client that does everything? What is the point in complaining that it's not "integrated" when it, for all intents and purposes, works exactly the same. I prefer the CHOICE to have a client that does everything, or separate applications that each do one thing. Take away that choice, and I'm not buying into your little universe of blind spoonfeeding.

Some of you just need to buy an iPhone and go away, quit finding the most trivial thing to complain about.
    Yea who wants convenience? {some people} (mod edit) hold back the app development community because {they} advocate good enough development

Mod Edit: Your arguments are valid and concise and this thread does not need to be bogged down by extraneous garbage Let's not resort to name calling and avoid making judgments about another's intent or future consequences of a perceived behavior.
    Last edited by YoDude; 10-04-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it will be integrated like how WebOS integrates the messaging application with AIM, MSN, Yahoo and ICQ for instance.

But what does that really matter when you can have ONE client that does everything? What is the point in complaining that it's not "integrated" when it, for all intents and purposes, works exactly the same. I prefer the CHOICE to have a client that does everything, or separate applications that each do one thing. Take away that choice, and I'm not buying into your little universe of blind spoonfeeding.

Some of you just need to buy an iPhone and go away, quit finding the most trivial thing to complain about.
    Why do I want one client that does 999999999999 things that I dont use? I only want 1 client that does the one thing I use.

The choice of Pidgin is nice but I, and Im sure many users, perfer a native solution where ALL the features are supported (because I remind you that not all features are supported in Pidgin)

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 925
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You can do AIM, Google Talk, ICQ, IRC, Jabber, MSN, Yahoo in OS2008.
    http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...ging-upgrades/

No idea if this works in Maemo 5.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riahc3
    Why do I want one client that does 999999999999 things that I dont use? I only want 1 client that does the one thing I use.

The choice of Pidgin is nice but I, and Im sure many users, perfer a native solution where ALL the features are supported (because I remind you that not all features are supported in Pidgin)
    Pidgin is a native application.

I apologize, I jumped the gun and assumed people wanted choices instead of only one option or way of doing something. Seems we're out-numbered here, mooninite. Best to hang our heads and do the walk of shame for trying to bring {some} (mod edit) into the world of open source.

Yea who wants convenience? {some people} (mod edit) hold back the app development community because {they} advocate good enough development
    Sorry, but hoping for ONE "solution" to a problem does not excite the development community. Wanna know why people like smartphones? Because they're expandable. You can do more than one thing in more than one way. Wanna know why people like Maemo? Because if those who support it don't have a way - we'll write our own way and release it to help others.

When you have one method, you also have a single point of failure. Sorry, but you really don't get what I was trying to say in my first post.

Mod Edit: Your arguments are valid and concise and this thread does not need to be bogged down by extraneous garbage Let's not resort to name calling and avoid making judgments about another's intent or future consequences of a perceived behavior.
    Last edited by YoDude; 10-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Backup: N95-3 Red
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Pidgin is a native application.
    I believe you and riach3 are talking about different "native".

I kinda agree with riach3. I've used different mutli-in-one IM clients on Symbian, like Slick, Numbuzz and etc, but I still much prefer the official MSN client on Symbian which has more MSN specific functions and integration with the desktop client. Multi-in-one IM client tend to have compromised functions from different IM.

Same reason, I don't use Trillion or other clients on desktop, because some "native" IM has better custom emotion icons, some have better avatars and etc. I run official MSN, Yahoo and Skype clients seperately on desktop

I certainly don't mind running different IM clients on the phone which I had done that before because one had better Yahoo support, one had better MSN support.

Feedback Score
    The way you're describing it, you'd prefer to use official clients. There's a huge difference when it comes to platform development between native and interpreted applications. I am talking about native, compiled, executable binary. Pidgin is native. Case closed.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that some people would prefer to use official manufacturer/service provider clients. I use WLM on my S60 devices instead of Slick/Nimbuzz/IMPlus because of the reasons you said - however the key differentiator here is that Microsoft won't have an official WLM client for Maemo, AOL doesn't have an official AIM client, nor Yahoo! or ICQ.

Seems to me what the majority of the people in this thread want is Nokia to do what WebOS is doing in terms of communications. One "client" that supports all the protocols and it's OFFICIAL and integrated. I'm all for it, but what I explicitly stated was that I prefer having a choice, sure build that in and let people use it, but I'm also going to want the ability to use Pidgin or Digbsy if I want...and that friends, is the whole reason behind the Maemo - and the majority of you have completely missed that point.

As a side note, WebOS uses libpurple for broad server/client connectivity. I wonder where that was taken from...yes, the gaim/pidgin initiative. Now do you understand?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    I (and alot of other people as Ive said in a previous post) want to use a native official application. In other words, a WLM client made by Nokia/Microsoft (with collab of Microsoft/Nokia) for Maemo 5/N900. Microsoft has not made a client for Linux as of yet so I supposed that the answer to be question is "no". So there is no native, official client for MSNP.

There is a native, official client for Symbian made by Microsoft (just added to further my point)

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-1 (plum)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by riahc3
    I (and alot of other people as Ive said in a previous post) want to use a native official application. In other words, a WLM client made by Nokia/Microsoft (with collab of Microsoft/Nokia) for Maemo 5/N900. Microsoft has not made a client for Linux as of yet so I supposed that the answer to be question is "no". So there is no native, official client for MSNP.

This thread should be closed.

Feedback Score
    You guys have all seen the phonebook layout on Maemo5, right? In the view presented in that application, we have seen that we can add Cell Phone #, Email address, Skype #, et cetera... and all we have to do to use them is to find the name in the address book, open the contact, and click on the service by which we want to contact the person in question. Right?

So what is the frigging problem in seeing that some people would like to have the option of adding MSN-info to the addressbook, allowing us to simply tap "MSN voice-chat" or "MSN instant message" in order to initiate those things, instead of having Pidgin (and I -do- love pidgin!) running in the background, presenting it's -own- contact list... sure, I'd like that as an option as well, but what I believe is asked for in this thread from the beginning is the integration into the phone book application.

Base the integration on Pidgin's MSN solution or an official Microsoft Plugin, I don't care - but what the hell kind of forum for ideas do we get when a request for integration is met with "Go buy an iPhone!"?

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninite
    This thread should be closed.
    You internet connection should be unplugged. You have provided 0 to why you are for/against this. Just plain trolling.

I hear 4chan needs more guys like you...

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    No, you're just not getting the point. Maemo is a full Linux device. It's going to do things the Linux way. If you want full integration look at WiMo, or webOS which has Yahoo for WLM compatibility.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredcorax
    You guys have all seen the phonebook layout on Maemo5, right? In the view presented in that application, we have seen that we can add Cell Phone #, Email address, Skype #, et cetera... and all we have to do to use them is to find the name in the address book, open the contact, and click on the service by which we want to contact the person in question. Right?

So what is the frigging problem in seeing that some people would like to have the option of adding MSN-info to the addressbook, allowing us to simply tap "MSN voice-chat" or "MSN instant message" in order to initiate those things, instead of having Pidgin (and I -do- love pidgin!) running in the background, presenting it's -own- contact list... sure, I'd like that as an option as well, but what I believe is asked for in this thread from the beginning is the integration into the phone book application.

Base the integration on Pidgin's MSN solution or an official Microsoft Plugin, I don't care - but what the hell kind of forum for ideas do we get when a request for integration is met with "Go buy an iPhone!"?
    Don't let it get to you....People are just plain stu.....well you know. I dont need to say the word.

They think to be more nerdy or something by asking a real world feature and saying no to it. Everyone has their own uses for their device. Mine is this while other members would problably want a Maemo program that draws Lara Croft in ASCII art. Everyone has their uses and we should help them or at least respect them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by migo
    No, you're just not getting the point. Maemo is a full Linux device. It's going to do things the Linux way. If you want full integration look at WiMo, or webOS which has Yahoo for WLM compatibility.
    What do you think WebOS is built on? Linux.

You've just mooted your whole argument. Thanks for coming out pedro.

And again, WebOS uses libpurple to achieve their connectivity to multiple services, libpurple is a library built by and is compatible with Linux. Pidgin uses libpurple. N900 runs Linux. N900 can use libpurple. If it's not built-in, do it yourself. WebOS has been "patched" for WLM, ICQ and AIM support, unofficially and it works.

If you can't understand the point of open source, I no longer want to have any discussions with you.

Device(s)
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter what it's built on. webOS has a much more limited SDK, it being based on Linux is as significant as iPhone OS being based on BSD.

Feedback Score
    riahc3 >

Yeah, I know - I just get so damned worked up when some people's logic is so blatantly flawed

It's like:
    "Wow, Nokia's new Maemo5 interface is awesome!"
    "Yeah, and now we can easily run any kind of software we want, too!"
    "Yup, but if -anyone- asks for integration of -any- software with Nokia's interface - let's hang him, in the name of open source!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast