Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Nuvifone G60 - one year contract?

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    Two questions...
    1. My wife dropped her Nuvifone. The screen is cracked. Phoned AT&T and Garmin and neither can help because we never took out insurance when we bought the phone (through Amazon. I didn't even know anything about insurance!). I asked about paying for a repair but none of them can help. Garmin keeps telling me that they are tied by contract to AT&T and all questions have to go to them. Grrr! Even though it powers on, all we get is a white screen. Is there any way to redeem this phone or am I stuck with a paperweight than gives me an extra battery for my Nuvifone. Obviously there is no warranty on it now that it is damaged, should I open it and try something myself?
    2. I did try updating with firmware I found cached on Garmin's site but the phone got stuck in an endless reboot. All it showed was the startup screen and then "Loading maps..." and then restart. Thankfully I only had it a week and Amazon swapped it out. Has anyone successfully updated their AT&T Nuvifone with APAC version so you could get tethering and other features working?

I phoned AT&T and asked for my unlock code and after adding International Calling/Roaming (the no monthly charge/free feature) they phoned me back to give me the code. The CSR lady (very helpful!) said she couldn't find the code so put in a support request. They will phone me back on the 19th Feb to (hopefully) give me the code. You have to have been with the contract 90 days to request the unlock code.

I also phoned Garmin the other week asking about updates and the Nuvifone guy said they would have an update but could not say what or when. I hope at least Copy & Paste comes on it!
    On other phones I have used, you could back up your Contacts file manually (e.g. contacts.db) so I asked the Garmin guy about doing that because I have made a mess of the Syncing tool with Outlook. Thankfully I only lost about 10 contacts but now I have over 150. He said the file is on a secured part of the phone, so I am guessing a hidden partition or something.
    Anyone who is a techy-guru managed to figure anything like that out?

I also wanted to "reset" or delete words from my predictive list that are in error and the Garmin CSR guy said that the only way to get rid of them was to reset to Factory default.

Here's to hoping we get an update soon. I do like the look of the A50!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Garmin Nuvifone G60

I wish I had something helpful to offer you, but I don't. I was wondering about the Nuvifone Sync Agent. I did download it this weekend, but when I looked at it a little bit closer it looks as if this is compatible with Outlook exclusively. We just use Outlook Express at home. I think we have the full Outlook at work, but I don't know if our IT department would allow me to do that. I have pretty much decided that for now I will simply use the MapSource software on my desktop computer to organize Favorites. I did notice one interesting thing doing that yesterday. It seems as if I add a telephone number with a Favorite POI on the G60 and then transfer it to MapSource, the telephone number does not appear. However, if I clear the POI from the G60 and transfer it back, the telephone number is present. I was also wondering if there is a way to edit the location on a saved POI on the G60. On other Garmins it is possible, but I haven't found a way to do it on the G60 yet.

As far as other features, it would be nice to reconfigure the other features to that I could use them with T-Mobile. I don't know enough about how these contracts are written between AT&T and Garmin-Asus, but I suspect that they are configured in such a way that Garmin can't make certain changes unless AT&T agrees to it. As a side note, I also own an AT&T branded Motorola Tundra VA76r. I have read some things about features that it has that have been reduced or eliminated compared to the non-US version of the Motorola Tundra VA76r. I certainly have some mixed emotions on the whole subsidized handset arrangement that is so popular here in the U.S. I understand that the carriers are in business to make a profit, and I certainly don't fault them for that, but locking down certain features that are available on non-US versions can be frustrating to the end user.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just a little tip I discovered the other week using the Nuvifone.
    If you use a portrait picture to save as wallpaper, it doesn't necessarily fit very nicely when you have to use it in landscape.

Here's the part that I think is quite cool: Find a landscape picture you want to save as wallpaper and let it apply as portrait and then landscape. Now find a different portrait picture and save it as wallpaper, but, when it comes to saving it as landscape, just cancel out of it.
    You will now have two (different) pictures as your wallpaper (and lock screen) and they will change when you rotate the phone

Hope this helps someone!

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's good to see that so many are enjoying the Nuvifone G60. The premium connected services appear to only be available for AT&T postpaid customers and are billed via your AT&T bill.

I haven't done much customization except some personalized ring tones and some new devices from Garmin Garage. I have downloaded Garmin Voice Studio (where you can make your own voices for turn-by-turn directions) but I haven't used it yet.

From what I heard about the A50 it's interface is very similar to the G60 but it is android in the background. I really don't like having to pay monthly for those services which should be free or at least factored into the price of the device. I hope that with the A50 I can get free weather, white page and local events just like I can with my Nokia 5800 Nav Edition phone.

The spec sheet for the A50 shows that it can work on T-Mobile 3G and AT&T 3G so I hope it will be possible to get a non-carrier branded version to work here as I don't like what AT&T did with their version of the firmware.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Nuvifone A50. Definately my next device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpipLPUa_pA

*If you try tp flash your G60 to APAC etc and get the cont. reboot screen there is a way to fix it. Read a previous post of mine.*

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I just got my unlock code from ATT today via email.
    It is a 16 digit code. My phone is unlocked

Just to let others know, if you want your ATT Nuvifone unlocked, make sure you have had the contract for 90 days at least. Phone 611 and ask to add the International Roaming Plan (the one with no monthly charge - so free to add on). They will then ask you for your IMEI number (on dial pad press *#06* or look underneath battery). My CSR took about 15 minutes looking for my code and couldn't find it so said they would contact me on the 19th Feb (today is 16th, so 3 days early )
    I followed the instructions in the email and Nuvifone said my device is now unlocked. I did notice that the last digit in the IMEI of the email was not the same as mine, but the unlock still worked fine.
    They might ask you when/where you are travelling to, but that is just so they can let you know about the int'l tariff for those countries. Obviously, I would use a local SIM overseas - that's the point in unlocking! I wouldn't expect my friends overseas to dial an int'l number to call me if I was visiting them!

Indeed I am a happy camper! Now if only I could get the APAC firmware on without messing up my phone

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vs2
    *If you try tp flash your G60 to APAC etc and get the cont. reboot screen there is a way to fix it. Read a previous post of mine.*
    So vs2, from what your previous post said about getting into Mass Storage Mode and all that, did you actually get the APAC version running okay or did you revert back to the ATT version? Wasn't sure what you were inferring. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Hi IcOnBoy.

No I did not try again with APAC version as too nervous esp. after 1st try!! I have my phone unloced through Garmin and I'm happy with it now.

What I do know is after deleting the contents on the Nuvifone drive and then rebooting the phone the device re-wrote the 'garmindevice.xml' and booted up normally.

When 'flashing' or updating the software the update is put into a folder called 'update'
    then the phone reboots and then you should see the progress of the firmware update. Mine did not do that but instead rebooted and only got to loading maps and then stayed on that screen and every 20-30 seconds it would try to boot further but just fo back to the AT&T screen.

If I was confident it looked at the garmindevice.xml before it updates then I would probably try it again by deleting garmindevice.xml before the update. But if it looks at the ROM then thats a different story. Plus its all Linux and I know nothing about Linux.

I managed to get it to read mass storage during my issues with win xp (32bit) and Win 7 (64bit)

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    vs2, did it take a while to get your unlock code from Garmin?
    What happened with you concerning the continual reboot happened to me. I did phone Garmin asking if there were any kepresses to do (like your camera+volume up sequence) but they couldn't help me. If I had known your info, it would have saved me the hassle of sending the phone back. Thankfully, Amazon paid return shipping!
    I am wondering if your technique will work with my wife's broken Nuvifone? If I can get it to go to Mass Storage Mode, I might be able to tinker around.
    I too, am too unueasy about reflashing and bricking my phone. The APAC version seems nicer!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I told Garmin and AT&T that I brought the phone off ebay and had it in NZ and wanted to use it with my Vodafone account. It took two days but through my insistance it went higher than customer support. I do know that Garmin has the NCK codes.

If you do tinker around make a copy of the nuvidrive on your PC. Another thing I have found is often the computer will not go into mass storage mode unless you remove the micro SD card 1st (mine is 8gb) Micro SD is hot swappable once connected to PC. Also make a folder labelled 'images' and another labelled 'MP3' on your SD card and the device will search there as well.

Sync agent works well with outlook on win 7 (64bit).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Garmin Nuvifone CDMA or iDEN

Do you guys think that we will ever see a CDMA or iDen Garmin Nuvifone in the future? I am guessing no iDEN, but possible a worldphone Nuvifone that would be both CDMA and GSM, but I suspect sales during 2010 will have a huge impact on the future of the Nuvifone

Device(s)
    Moto Z Play, Moto Z2 Force, Blackberry Z10
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I really don't see a CDMA nuvifone. The rest of the world outside of US is on GSM/UTMS and see Verizon or Sprint clamoring for it. With an unlocked GSM phone people can use it even if they don't get it through a carrier.

I am thinking the APAC version of the A50 will also be "better" than the US version. I heard that all phones sold in Taiwan (home of AsusTek) have to unlocked so they would have built-in tethering and other nice features that their G60 has. I believe that Yellowpages.com was used instead of Google local search in the american G60 because of Garmin's agreement with AT&T

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Garmin Nuvifone G60

I have never sent a text from a telephone until today. I ahve received them on phones and sent them from desktop computers, but I have just never sent one from a phone before today. Anyway, my wife called me today and asked for a telephone number for our city hall for the public works department. It then struck me that this would be a good time to try a feature. I found our city POI and it gave me the choice to text it to her. Maybe this is old hat for iPhones, etc., but I thought it was a pretty neat feature. Also, if I would receive a telephone number via text I believe I could click and call from that. Again, maybe that is already available on other devices, but I still think it is pretty next. One slight shortcoming on the GPS side, though. With my Garmin StreetPilot 2730, after the unit state selection is made, it gives the last two cities selected as choices, as well as the option to search all in the state or enter the city name. That is probably not a "deal killer, but I do miss that feature and I email Garmin to add that in future updates. I did suggest the Auto Zoom Disable feature, but I got the standard reply from them on that.

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vs2
    If you hold down the camera button and volime up button, then power on you get 5 blips of vibration then my PC (win7) tries to load a driver but fails with unrecognized device. This must be a way in via Linux??
    I never got 5 blips of vibration when I held down the keys you mentioned - just the standard vibrate when the phone normally starts. Am I doing something wrong?

Device(s)
    Garmin Nuvifone G60
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348
    I have never sent a text from a telephone until today.
    Congrats - once you send the darn things, you wonder how you got by without them! Did you know that SMSes don't cost the networks anything really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348
    With my Garmin StreetPilot 2730, after the unit state selection is made, it gives the last two cities selected as choices, as well as the option to search all in the state or enter the city name.
    That sounds like a very helpful feature. I would like the ability to change what shows at the bottom of the screen when driving. At the moment, it just shows ETA - I would like the option of driving direction or other options as available on Nuvi PNDs.
    How did Garmin respond when you asked about the city choices or did you get the typical default thank-you response that Tech Support often give...?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast