Thread: N810 WiMAX Edition - will it work with Clear WiMAX service?

Carrier(s)
    US: T-Mobile, AT&T; CA: Rogers, Bell
    Feedback Score

Question N810 WiMAX Edition - will it work with Clear WiMAX service?

Hello. In my area we now have Clear, which is a WiMAX service and I was wondering what small WiMAX devices I could buy that do not run Windows Mobile and remembered the Maemo-based N810 WiMAX Edition. What do you think of this and how would you rate it in terms of what it can do versus either phones or other small tablet computers? How is the web browser? Does anyone here have any experience using this device? Are there any major flaws I should know about?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I use a standard N810 in my day to day and have no problems making it work for me by providing a means to launch small web pages or flash objects to retrieve net information through my phones slow connection or WiFi. The only difference is the WiMAX connectivity. If my market had rolled out WiMAX on time I would be rockin' a WiMAX edition myself.

With that said... to quote mobileburn.com
    At this rate, WiMAX is starting to make BetaMax look like a good investment.

This^ slow adoption rate may have been what prompted Nokia to discontinue the device.

Distributors have apparently been asked to send any remaining stock back to Nokia. The abrupt cancellation is reportedly due to the slow WiMAX roll out in the USA as well as an issue with the current WiMAX switches in use not offering optimal performance.
    Some have stated that statements like this^ made it look more like a recall rather than a product naturally reaching its "end of life" state.

The proof in the pudding however, would be your ability to connect in "your" area. Right now all I have to go on is what is reported in your profile and "North America" is a pretty big area.

What market or city are you in?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    I use a standard N810 in my day to day and have no problems making it work for me by providing a means to launch small web pages or flash objects to retrieve net information through my phones slow connection or WiFi. The only difference is the WiMAX connectivity. If my market had rolled out WiMAX on time I would be rockin' a WiMAX edition myself.

With that said... to quote mobileburn.com

This^ slow adoption rate may have been what prompted Nokia to discontinue the device.

Some have stated that statements like this^ made it look more like a recall rather than a product naturally reaching its "end of life" state.

The proof in the pudding however, would be your ability to connect in "your" area. Right now all I have to go on is what is reported in your profile and "North America" is a pretty big area.

What market or city are you in?
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Clear has soft-launched here on 2009-10-01.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If it is the same system used in DC, MD, and Arlington, VA it is quite useful according to this thread @ maemo.org >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26221

I couldn't find anything on Philadelphia but you might try PM'ing some of the actors in that^ thread to see if they have traveled to the city of Brotherly Love with their N810e's recently.

BTW, I live in the area too... outside the coverage area.

I do manage however, with the web apps that I've built for my n8**'s using a slow 19.2 GPRS connection through my cell phone.

I also put together one that will navigate to, load, and display a current image of any traffic cam in the tri-state area (basically all the roads shown in the first map of this post). It is quite large but I will post it up if it will be useful.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    If it is the same system used in DC, MD, and Arlington, VA it is quite useful according to this thread @ maemo.org >> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=26221

I couldn't find anything on Philadelphia but you might try PM'ing some of the actors in that^ thread to see if they have traveled to the city of Brotherly Love with their N810e's recently.

BTW, I live in the area too... outside the coverage area.

I do manage however, with the web apps that I've built for my n8**'s using a slow 19.2 GPRS connection through my cell phone.

I also put together one that will navigate to, load, and display a current image of any traffic cam in the tri-state area (basically all the roads shown in the first map of this post). It is quite large but I will post it up if it will be useful.
    It is the same technology just ran by a different company (Clearwire's 'Clear' as opposed to Sprint's 'Xohm').