Thread: How do you set up GV for incoming calls to be free???

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score

How do you set up GV for incoming calls to be free???

I have a blackberry 8900 from tmobile and I will get the myfaves plan next month. So I will place my google number as a "myfave" and then call that number to initiate any call that I want, thereby not using any minutes on my plan.

My question is this, if people call me at my google number can I bypass my minutes there as well? Basically, someone calls me and my google number would appear on my caller ID so Tmobile thinks its a call from a "myfave"

It's confusing, but the basically I know how to make outgoing calls without using minutes and I just want to do that with incoming calls. Thanks in advance guys...

Device(s)
    Motorola W233 Renew
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Your idea sounds complicated. Why don't you just subscribe for an unlimited incoming calls option and then use the Google Voice BB app? GV works as an automated call-back, so you will rarely need outgoing minutes.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brianisme
    I have a blackberry 8900 from tmobile and I will get the myfaves plan next month. So I will place my google number as a "myfave" and then call that number to initiate any call that I want, thereby not using any minutes on my plan.

My question is this, if people call me at my google number can I bypass my minutes there as well? Basically, someone calls me and my google number would appear on my caller ID so Tmobile thinks its a call from a "myfave"

It's confusing, but the basically I know how to make outgoing calls without using minutes and I just want to do that with incoming calls. Thanks in advance guys...
    No problem at all.

Just set the GV setting for Caller ID to always display you GV number instead of the actual caller's number.
    AT&T and T-Mobile SF Bay Area+ Cell Sites - with Cell ID labels
    http://sfocellsites.com/
    Over 1,100 AT&T sites in the 9 Bay Area counties + San Benito, Santa Cruz and Monterey counties
    Now over 1,500 T-Mobile sites in these 12 counties

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Or, you can use the GV application for the Blackberry. Just make sure that you note the gateway number that the application uses to dial out and add that to your "my faves" list and you should be good to go. You should periodically monitor that to make sure Google does not change up the gateway number on you.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregsmith59
    Just set the GV setting for Caller ID to always display you GV number instead of the actual caller's number.
    I don't think this is required, since GV just acts as the forwarding #. Can anyone confirm this?

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heybige
    I don't think this is required, since GV just acts as the forwarding #. Can anyone confirm this?
    NM, just did some googling and came across the following

"Some users have claimed that Google Voice acts as a forwarding service and you don’t need to turn on the ‘display Google Voice’ number setting in order to have your minutes counted as myFaves. This is false. I’m looking at my call records from T-Mobile and can easily identify two calls that were charged to me though they came through Google Voice number. The display number does matter. The call presentation (announcing who is calling) does not."

http://devin.reams.me/free-google-vo...obile-myfaves/

Device(s)
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Carrier(s)
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by heybige
    NM, just did some googling and came across the following

"Some users have claimed that Google Voice acts as a forwarding service and you don’t need to turn on the ‘display Google Voice’ number setting in order to have your minutes counted as myFaves. This is false. I’m looking at my call records from T-Mobile and can easily identify two calls that were charged to me though they came through Google Voice number. The display number does matter. The call presentation (announcing who is calling) does not."

http://devin.reams.me/free-google-vo...obile-myfaves/
    I think that was commonsense, but glad you're satisfied with my statement now.

I wonder where people got this idea that the forwarding number would be used, since most carriers have said through the years that Caller ID must be present for F&F etc. - implying they use the Caller ID to rate calls.