Thread: Now that Android is a reality, I have a few basic questions.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Now that Android is a reality, I have a few basic questions.

I'm having problems searching this issue. Also, my experience with having the following answered with Blackberrys was frustration and confusion.

If a person were to switch to Android from WinMo what could they expect to have issues with? Any advice.

Specifically:

Can you sync outlook with an Android phone?

If so, is it similar to syncing a WinMo with Outlook?

How does Android handle VZAccess or push email from Verizon? I've heard people in the past say you have to create a GMail account and then sync your POP3 accounts with it. Is this true?

Will Android phones play .WMA and .WMV files?

Thank you in advance.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I hate to bump. If the answers to these questions are common knowledge could I get an angry suggestion to google some helpful keywords. I'm just not finding the answers. Thanks again!

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe this will help answer some questions...

http://www.htc.com/us/faq_detail.asp...&act=faq&cat=0

http://www.htc.com/www/product/g1/specification.html

Being the same OS, +/- or should be able to add the same software afterwards...
    Sig Removed (might be misconstrued as advertising)

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank you very much! I did not think to check the FAQ for another brand. I will scour away.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It looks like 3rd party apps might be to only way to do things automatically. Kind of a bummer as I would like to try a Google phone but I like Outlook for my own purposes.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Mods may need to move this to the new Android Sub-forum. Thanks!

Device(s)
    8703e
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by niugiovanni
    It looks like 3rd party apps might be to only way to do things automatically. Kind of a bummer as I would like to try a Google phone but I like Outlook for my own purposes.
    Are you trying to sync specifically to your desktop PIM (Outlook) or do you just want to get that information into your phone? I would think it would be more advantageous to not have to tether/sync with the PC itself but to just have the phone pulling the same data from your email accounts. I use GMail and Outlook and plan on getting an Android device myself and doing just that.

I have my own general Android question. I see the screen shots of the Droid and the home screen looks rather boring (almost iphone-ish) compared the the G1. Was the G1's home screen an HTC feature? Since it reminds me of the TouchFlo home screens, this wouldn't surprise me, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get that on any Android device. I like the huge clock and weather graphics. Ideally a summary of my unread messages or upcoming appointments, too. Is that possible in Android, either natively or with a third-party app?

TIA!

Device(s)
    Droid running Chevyno1's ROM & OC'd to 1.1Ghz
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    @OP ; its to hard to say at this point seeing as we do not have the specific on how it will work. There supposedly is full Exchange support with Andriod 2.0 but I'm not sure how it is going to work with Outlook for syncing and VZW email push access. I'm sure they have something up there sleeve tho as it would make no sense not to have some type of plan if they are looking to get BB or WinMob users to move to Android. Specially business users who need those types of features or access

@ mkempton ; FYI HTC uses there Sense UI which they designed for Android. It has been ported to other Android devices if I'm not mistaken tho. However don't plan on that any time soon with the Droid tho. Reason being is Droid runs Andriod 2.0, and the Sense UI currently is for Andriod 1.6 or 1.5 What you are seeing with the Droid is the standard Andriod UI. Not sure if it will have or get theme/skin options but over time I'm sure it will get cracked so it can be done. With this phone being 2.0 and no other phone having it or getting it for a while everything is out in limbo land until it gets released really as no on e knows what is inside of the updated software yet.

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank you both for your educational replies.

@mkempton: I generally just use outlook for contact and calendar syncing. I use direct access to my e-mail so I'm not concerned about keeping those in step. Specifically, I have grown comfortable with, every few days or so, plugging the phone in via USB to keep my calendar entries and phone contacts backed up. I'm considering just using Google Calendar for scheduling and GMail for contact backup but I'm less familiar with both of those and would love to retain the status quo.