Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Info on PRL's and Network Extender

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel, now Verizon, with Alltel Plan
    Feedback Score

Need Info on PRL's and Network Extender

I have an Alltel plan which I like, with 3 new Verizon phones. My primary problem is that the reception in our home is very poor with very frequent dropped and missed calls.

According to Verizon, I am 1.38 miles from one Verizon tower, and 1.81 miles from another Verizon tower. They didn't know where the Alltel towers were, but we had similar issues at home when we were Alltel.

Our phones all have Alltel PRL's (30045), nothing changes with *228.

They tell me that I might do better if we had Verizon PRL's on our phones, but the Store Manager says she was told by Tech Support that they have no way of putting a Verizon PRL on a phone that is on an Alltel plan, saying that it is the plan that drives the PRL.

First - is this true? Is there no way to manually put a Verizon PRL on our phones, to see whether or not this will fix our problem??

When I brought up the idea of their Network Extender, she was willing to work with me, but said that she was told, and had a customer who experienced this, that they will not work for a phone that has an Alltel PRL on it (and from above, according to her this can't be changed as long as we're on an Alltel plan).

Second - is this true? Can a phone with an Alltel PRL be successfully used with the Verizon Network Extender??

If neither of these are true, I would first like to try out the Verizon PRL on at least one of our phones to see if it helps. And how exactly would I do this, using what files? I can access my wife's enV Touch with BitPim if need be. We are in the Charlotte, NC area if that is relevant.

If this doesn't help, then I would like to use the Network Extender, and need to know if I should keep the Alltel PRL (assuming it works per question #2), or would it better to switch to a Verizon PRL (assuming I can per question #1)?

Any information and advice greatly appreciated.

(I have priced comparable Verizon plans according to our particular needs, and whichever way I slice it, it will cost me a minimum of $20/month more, with no gain in services.)

Device(s)
    Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Formerly Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    You are having reception problems in the Charlotte area? Wow, what area is that? I have had flawless Alltel service all over Charlotte and surrounding. I left Sprint due to their poor coverage in the area.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm actually in Mooresville, although in a well-established neighborhood. For some reason, we seem to be in a 'bermuda triangle' of cell phone reception, and I'm hoping the Network Extender will fix our problems!

Feedback Score
    Issue could be (haven't looked into your situation) that your Alltel PRL in CLT doesn't include the Verizon SID (which would be broadcast by the network extender). Does 30045 have Verizon Charlotte in the PRL? Believe that older Alltel PRLs didn't (nor did Verizon PRLs have Alltel Charlotte in their PRL either).

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    How would I check what is in the 30045 PRL? I'm pretty tech savvy in general, but haven't had the need to explore PRL's and such. I have access to all the TP2's files directly, and have BitPim to explore my wife's enV Touch.

But perhaps even more importantly, since Verizon's website indicates the NE will work with many phones on other national carriers, this will be a moot point.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCPhoto
    How would I check what is in the 30045 PRL? I'm pretty tech savvy in general, but haven't had the need to explore PRL's and such. I have access to all the TP2's files directly, and have BitPim to explore my wife's enV Touch.

But perhaps even more importantly, since Verizon's website indicates the NE will work with many phones on other national carriers, this will be a moot point.
    The only way I know how is to use the RL Editor in QPST. Which SID are you looking for? According to what I found by quickly looking around, the Verizon SID for Charlotte, NC would be 139 (Alltel's is 114). SID 139 is in the Alltel 40055 PRL (I don't have a copy of 30045) so that shouldn't be the problem.
    Last edited by answerman; 10-12-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: found out which PRL I was looking for.
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    The only way I know how is to use the RL Editor in QPST. Which SID are you looking for?
    He would be looking for SID 139 which runs from Asheville, through rutherfordton, Shelby, then into Charlotte and the SID is the same. I know verizons 139 sid is in the alltel prl.

the NID for Charlotte is 101
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    lol... you answered while I was editing my post. So there you have it, I guess.

Device(s)
    Verizon Motorola G4 Play, Go Unlimited run by Verizon Partners 4G LTE (Triangle Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Or Wilson Electronics - Wilson Cellular SignalBoost 811210 or 811214 from 179 to 250.00. They're good I've it, Im 30-35 miles away from the towers and has 3 bars of digital. Further you get its really depend on area for line of sight. I never had luck with older Wilsons Model til finally they made specific for Alltel and Verizon as Wilson SignalBoost which is newer that truly works this time. Of course they are dual band as well.... Theres no alltel signal from the outside without booster. Im able to burst up to 144 or faster data speed on 1x modem from here with the booster....
    4G LTE Rural America by Triangle Communications speed average 35 to 50 MBPS which improved coverage and speed a lot better for Rural areas.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks - if I don't get anywhere getting the VZW NE, I'll look into this PRL stuff, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bgmk82j
    Or Wilson Electronics - Wilson Cellular SignalBoost 811210 or 811214 from 179 to 250.00. They're good I've it, Im 30-35 miles away from the towers and has 3 bars of digital. Further you get its really depend on area for line of sight. I never had luck with older Wilsons Model til finally they made specific for Alltel and Verizon as Wilson SignalBoost which is newer that truly works this time. Of course they are dual band as well.... Theres no alltel signal from the outside without booster. Im able to burst up to 144 or faster data speed on 1x modem in this area with the booster....
    I had actually looked into devices like these a few years back, but the hassle of running an outdoors antenna, routing the cable inside, etc., discouraged me. I ended up just using call forwarding from my cell to my landline when I was home, although sometimes I'd forget to reverse it when I left!

Hopefully this also won't be necessary...

Device(s)
    Verizon Motorola G4 Play, Go Unlimited run by Verizon Partners 4G LTE (Triangle Mobile)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes it's true for that model it is inline booster. I see it worth more for wireless from the same brand but I see you're talkin about Verizon Wireless' Extender Network and they seem like a wireless ones for the prices 250.00 and claim that works if theres no signal from the outside. I thought and also would buy that but I have no idea if that works at 30-35 miles range..

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Update:

I have my VZW NE, installed it without difficulty (4 solid blue lights within 15 minutes), but none of our phones (Alltel PRL 30045) are seen by it, unfortunately.

I spoke with Verizon Tech Support, and was told that 30045 is a "Hybrid" PRL and won't be accepted by the Network Extender. He was unable to 'push' any other PRL to our phones to make it work, but did let me know that if I were on a Verizon plan in this area, I would likely have PRL 51440 on our phones, and this would work fine.

I checked the Corolada PRL Page, but didn't find 51440 there - where can I get it?

In another thread, it was implied that one could manually edit a PRL to add the appropriate SID (139, apparently for this area). How is this done?

Any help appreciated on getting this thing going for me - the cell reception in our home is simply unacceptable!

And if I do change or edit PRL's, are there other repercussions in terms of the charges on our voice plan, data charges and plan, etc.?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Motorola VE20 (mine)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You may want to reconsider your reluctance to put in a repeater. Yes, they are expensive and there is the bother of installing an outdoor antenna, but they really do work. Keeping the lower monthly charge on your cell bill will eventually pay for it. If you have some cell service outdoors at ground level, a large yagi antenna 30feet up pointed at an Alltel cell site ought to provide adequate signal for a repeater.

The problem with editing the PRL is that you will have to do it all over again after the next new one is pushed out unless you can find a way to block automatic updates.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by music4praise
    You may want to reconsider your reluctance to put in a repeater. Yes, they are expensive and there is the bother of installing an outdoor antenna, but they really do work. Keeping the lower monthly charge on your cell bill will eventually pay for it. If you have some cell service outdoors at ground level, a large yagi antenna 30feet up pointed at an Alltel cell site ought to provide adequate signal for a repeater.

The problem with editing the PRL is that you will have to do it all over again after the next new one is pushed out unless you can find a way to block automatic updates.
    Thanks for the reply - and this will be my fallback position. But I have to think that this is solveable with PRL modification. The process is simple enough to repeat if auto-updates do reset it back to Alltel.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Update:

I downloaded the Verizon PRL for Nationwide/EVDO, 51143, from the corolado site, put it on my microSD card, manually updated my TouchPro 2's PRL, reset the phone, viola!! , my phone now works with the Network Extender.

So far, I can detect no differences in my phone's performance, it gets the 3G signal (marginally) in our home as before, etc. I'll wait and see how it performs as I travel around town for the next day or so, and then go ahead and put it on the other phones on our plan.

Thanks to all for the help here. Will post back if anything unexpected occurs, but hopefully I'm good to go now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast