Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Here comes N920...............even before N900 release

Feedback Score
    Fair enough, but personally considering the information and insight he brings when it comes to the inside workings of nokia I have no problem believing it. It's not like he mentioned release dates or anything not concrete, the brief tidbit he left was that the next maemo device in the pipeline, currently named N920, does not have a keyboard.

We both agree that the OP was nothing but a fake (and it seems that it's been proven by the originator now too) but that rumor stemmed from what eldar mentioned in his maemo 5 review.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak
    Fair enough, but personally considering the information and insight he brings when it comes to the inside workings of nokia I have no problem believing it. It's not like he mentioned release dates or anything not concrete, the brief tidbit he left was that the next maemo device in the pipeline, currently named N920, does not have a keyboard.

We both agree that the OP was nothing but a fake (and it seems that it's been proven by the originator now too) but that rumor stemmed from what eldar mentioned in his maemo 5 review.
    http://webcast.nokia.com/CCUIv3/fram...lash-video-500
    (Sorry it is so long but here it says the N900 is the 4th outta of 5 Maemo devices, which means that the N920 will be the 5th device out of the Maemo devices)

So you believe that guy before Nokia?

Feedback Score
    I don't have sound right now but I did watch that when it streamed live, did he specifically say devices or steps? Maemo 5 is the 4th version of the tablet software, after all. You could be right though.

Nokia does do weird things...I don't think it wouldn't be hard to imagine that they would make a variant of the N900 after a few months to buy time for the release of maemo 6. I mean if you told me an N97 mini was coming out 3 months after the N97 did back when it released I wouldn't have believed it either.

Oh well. You have a valid reason to believe it doesn't exist, I have my own to believe it does, now lets see what Nokia does. This thread doesn't really have anywhere to go anyway.

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    T mobile
    Feedback Score
    this thing is fake!!!! mobile-review confirms... don't waist your time...
    Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open.
    TWITTER

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridy163
    this thing is fake!!!! mobile-review confirms... don't waist your time...
    Impossible. If mobile-review says it...It must be true.

I don't have sound right now but I did watch that when it streamed live, did he specifically say devices or steps? Maemo 5 is the 4th version of the tablet software, after all. You could be right though.

Nokia does do weird things...I don't think it wouldn't be hard to imagine that they would make a variant of the N900 after a few months to buy time for the release of maemo 6. I mean if you told me an N97 mini was coming out 3 months after the N97 did back when it released I wouldn't have believed it either.

Oh well. You have a valid reason to believe it doesn't exist, I have my own to believe it does, now lets see what Nokia does. This thread doesn't really have anywhere to go anyway
    He was referring to devices.

Their mobile internet devices and mobile devices have nothing to do with each other. I posted the time differences between each release. They will not change all of a sudden.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by riahc3
    http://webcast.nokia.com/CCUIv3/fram...lash-video-500

So you believe that guy before Nokia?
    That link is dead, didn't work yesterday either at 9PM EST.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Prom1
    That link is dead, didn't work yesterday either at 9PM EST.
    Works perfect. Just tried it out right now.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Impossible. If mobile-review says it...It must be true.

He was referring to devices.

Their mobile internet devices and mobile devices have nothing to do with each other. I posted the time differences between each release. They will not change all of a sudden.

I wouldn't be so sure... the he is Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia Executive Vice President, Markets and the quote is from the Web 2.0 Summit held in San Fran two years ago...

>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=202403826

and

>> http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...0_handson.html

...at the introduction of the N810. Since then there has been a N810 WiMax edition which would have been the 4th device making the N900 the 5th device. (if it was all about devices)

We have also heard Kate Alhola, Maemo Chief Engineer at another venue talk about Maemo on many different devices...

I don't know what constitutes a "step" in Anssi's world but I watched him give that speech along with some Maemo developers and the consensus was then that the steps were what was necessary to bring a concept to the mass market. Lately I have been thinking that the 5 steps he was referring to may have been what was necessary to finally enter the North American market.

You may be right and its all about devices and they just didn't count the RX-48 (N810W)... but I wouldn't be so sure.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier(s)
    Movistar
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YoDude
    ...at the introduction of the N810. Since then there has been a N810 WiMax edition which would have been the 4th device making the N900 the 5th device. (if it was all about devices)
    So the E70-1 and the E70-2 are 2 different devices. Did not know that.
    Also the Nokia 6822 and the Nokia 6822b were different devices as well....

WOW I guess you really do learn something everyday....

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So the E70-1 and the E70-2 are 2 different devices. Did not know that.
    Also the Nokia 6822 and the Nokia 6822b were different devices as well....

WOW I guess you really do learn something everyday....

I gently tried to suggest that a 2 year old statement made by the head of Marketing could mean many things.

I don't know anything about the 6822 or the 6882b and I am not an expert on Maemo...

However I did show that internally the N810 and N810W were considered two different devices requiring specific firmware builds, RX 44 vs. RX 48 . Just as internally there is evidence of two different Maemo5 device builds, RX 51 (N900) and RX 71 (another device).

Now I don't know what your problem is but apparently no one, including a moderator can question your statements or post information that supports a contrary view without an abrasive, pedantic, or sarcastic reply from you.

Since I have a day job, this thread will be closed until I can review my options and respond in a manner that is in the best interest of this forum. If any member has constructive feedback, please do not hesitate to PM me.
    Last edited by YoDude; 10-21-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thread is now open.

Jussi Mäkinen, Marketing manager for Maemo Devices just finished up speaking today in Helsinki at the Nokia store. I will post a capture of the streamed video in the digest sticky when it becomes available.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YoDude

Now I don't know what your problem is but apparently no one, including a moderator can question your statements or post information that supports a contrary view without an abrasive, pedantic, or sarcastic reply from you.

psst! drop the ban hammer!

im a bit surprised someone talking to a moderator didnt get banned immediately. I know the guy who moderates the Blackberry forum would almost immediately ban people

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wAkO
    psst! drop the ban hammer!

im a bit surprised someone talking to a moderator didnt get banned immediately. I know the guy who moderates the Blackberry forum would almost immediately ban people
    I am from the old school where it is impolite to talk about others when they are not here to respond.

Now you can call me Richard but I'm not trying to be a ___. Lets please move on and keep the off topic crap to a minimum.

It looks like we are going to have another 20 days before the N900 ships... lets all rise above the petty bickering and make this forum a nice place to visit.

Feedback Score
    Yodude, i'm assuming you reopened this because whatever was said by the marketing manager alludes to the existance of this phone?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak
    Yodude, i'm assuming you reopened this because whatever was said by the marketing manager alludes to the existance of this phone?
    No, not really. I opened the thread because what was said didn't have a device, OS version, or anything tangible attached to it. Just a speech from the VP of Marketing noting evolutionary steps...... that culminate in an eventual goal.

Since the goal was not defined, what those steps are is debated still... even in Espoo and Helsinki.
    Debate is the key word here. As long as the discussion continues no one, with the exception of Anssi Vanjoki his own bad self, can end it by declaring what Anssi's intent was.

I do know this though. With the N900, Nokia is selling a mobile computer. Soon they will be selling another mobile computer, the Booklet 3G. A year from now we expect a whole range of mobile computing devices from Nokia.

3 years ago Nokia sold phones...

Changing the publics perception in the market place is what VP's of Marketing do.

In any event Nokia released the fremantle kernel (alpha) along with the Software Development Kit as long ago as the first week of December in 2008 . Those much smarter than me were able to determine hardware characteristics and even some specifications from the information coded in this kernel. The hardware was referred to as RX 51. We know that RX 51 is the N900 from the FCC documentation. Since about March of 2009 the Fremantle kernel updates started to refer to another hardware configuration as RX 71. From the supplied code it was determined that this RX 71 had a different keyboard configuration:
    Quote Originally Posted by fanoush @ [url
    http://forums.internettablettalk.com/member.php?u=1382]No[/url], looks like numeric keypad. I wonder if this is additional one or the only one that the device has.

Code:
    +static int rx71_keymap[] = {
    +       /* Col, Row, Key */
    +
    +       KEY(0, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(0, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(0, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(0, 3, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(0, 4, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(0, 5, KEY_M),
    +       KEY(0, 6, KEY_KPMINUS),
    +       KEY(0, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(1, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(1, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(1, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(1, 3, KEY_KPPLUS),
    +       KEY(1, 4, KEY_DELETE),
    +       KEY(1, 5, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(1, 6, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(1, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(2, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(2, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(2, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(2, 3, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(2, 4, KEY_5),
    +       KEY(2, 5, KEY_9),
    +       KEY(2, 6, KEY_KPASTERISK),
    +       KEY(2, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(3, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(3, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(3, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(3, 3, KEY_6),
    +       KEY(3, 4, KEY_7),
    +       KEY(3, 5, KEY_0),
    +       KEY(3, 6, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(3, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(4, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(4, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(4, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(4, 3, KEY_8),
    +       KEY(4, 4, KEY_ENTER),
    +       KEY(4, 5, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(4, 6, KEY_4),
    +       KEY(4, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(5, 0, KEY_BACKSPACE),
    +       KEY(5, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(5, 2, KEY_F2),
    +       KEY(5, 3, KEY_F3),
    +       KEY(5, 4, KEY_F5),
    +       KEY(5, 5, KEY_F4),
    +       KEY(5, 6, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(5, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(6, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 3, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 4, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 5, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 6, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(6, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +
    +       KEY(7, 0, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 1, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 2, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 3, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 4, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 5, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 6, KEY_RESERVED),
    +       KEY(7, 7, KEY_RESERVED),
    +};
    Now I'm not as sharp as some of these fellas are so I have to pay close attention. I also have a pretty good memory and have learned where to look for stuff. This source that you refered to earlier in this thread didn't have to be a genius either. Like me, all he had to do was pay attention.

The thread was reopened to promote discussion... because that's what we do here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast