Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: A Brief Review of LG 290c

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

A Brief Review of LG 290c

A little background first: I live in western NC. We are talking mountains and rugged terrain and lots of spotty coverage. Verizon dominates the area as far as quality coverage goes but, for some reason, all the trac products have been gsm (ATT) the past couple of years.

I have looked at a few walmarts and targets the past week or so (around the Asheville, NC, area). Didn't find any of the new phones here yet. Then I went to a nearby town out in BFE (Brevard, NC) and found all the new lg phones for trac and net10 at a Kmart! The walmart in the same town had only the lg 100c, for some reason. I chose this small town on the hunch that everyone around this area knows ATT doesn't even cover the main highways in this little town in the middle of the Appalachians! I was hoping that tracfone would stock CDMA phones in this area. I guessed right!

Anyway, I don't like Samsung too well plus the QWERTY keyboard is not high on my priority list either so I chose the LG slider. WOW! What a nice phone! 33 ring tones/text tones. A handful are actually usable! Excellent screen clarity and resolution. Good overall feel to the phone. Very responsive OS. Keypad is larger than most, which I like, and has nice feel. Call quality and volume are sweet. The ring tone volume could be louder but should be adequate. Activation took 30 mins, as stated by the directions on Net10 website. My first time activating a CDMA phone from tracfone. I got a new number so there were no problems with porting.

This phone absolutely slaughters the Shuttle on virgin mobile! Actually it is better than any of the VM phones, except possibly the Rumor 2. I plan on letting my service expire with VM and staying with Net10/Tracfone. May even get the LG 220c to play with. BTW, the sammy 451C was very tempting. It looked nice, the keyboard on it had adequate space btw the keys also. I just don't like the OS on the Samsungs that Trac has. I hate the "volume" and "ringer" profiles. I assume this model has that as well? If Trac would get a middle of the road flip with a camera from LG, I think they would really put a hurtin' on VM!

Device(s)
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Carrier(s)
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

update

The phone continues to impress! Also, it has a red status LED that lights up during charging and when you miss an event. Didn't know it was there until I had an incoming text and came back into the room. Thought it was a nice touch.

Device(s)
    Moto Q
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yea it was hard finding any ST phones around here (im in weaverville nc btw) but i ended up finding the LG 290c out at the walmart on airport rd.

Phones great but im having problems trying to put ringtones on it, have you figured that out already?

Device(s)
    lg 290c
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I to purchased this phone from tracfones website, it seems like a nice phone and a good upgrade to replace my aging 2126. My only complaint is the inability to transfer files from pc to phone, if anyone finds a way plz post right away.

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Did anybody else have problems with the data services on the LG290C? I bought mine last weekend and activated it on Sunday (transferred service and minutes from a previous TracFone).

I am as of yet unable to access the mobile web or download ringtones or graphics (I consistently get a "Network Connection Lost" message). I spoke to Customer Support on Monday and again on Wednesday, still no luck - after the last call, they said they were going to check to make sure something wasn't going on with the network, and if that wasn't the problem they might have to replace the phone.

I'm giving them until tomorrow before I call again, since they said it could take up to 72 hours, but I'm starting to get a little irritated here.

Device(s)
    lg 290c
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I can't access web either, I did send 2 wallpaper files and 2 ringtones to the phone using yahoo mail, its cheaper then using tracphones site anyways.

Device(s)
    LG 290C
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by outlandertrac
    I can't access web either, I did send 2 wallpaper files and 2 ringtones to the phone using yahoo mail, its cheaper then using tracphones site anyways.
    Do you get the "Network Connection Lost" message right away when trying to access the web, or a different error?

I tried emailing a .jpg file to my phone from my Yahoo Mail. I got the message, but it removed the attachment. I tried sending a picture I took with the phone to my Yahoo Mail, and it never went. It's sitting in my "Sent" folder on the phone, but going into the message info screen shows a status of "Delivery Incomplete".

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanF68

I spoke to Customer Support on Monday and again on Wednesday, still no luck - after the last call, they said they were going to check to make sure something wasn't going on with the network, and if that wasn't the problem they might have to replace the phone.

I'm giving them until tomorrow before I call again, since they said it could take up to 72 hours, but I'm starting to get a little irritated here.
    If there were a 6 year old in your neighborhood with the Tracfone CS`s "sheet" in front of them you would probably get better advice.

Device(s)
    lg 290c
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    seanf68 I get this message when trying to access browser "eror requested content tfdevice.home/ cannot be accessed you do not have access to the site" then it show connection lost.

As far as CS goes I have never had a problem, just yesterday I transferred all my minutes onto the 290c from my old 2126, in less then 15 minutes, I have never waited more then 10 minutes to talk to someone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While I'm waiting for my phone to arrive, should be late next week, what type of charger connection does it have? Is it the same as the LG 600 and 300?

Device(s)
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Monthly
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic55
    While I'm waiting for my phone to arrive, should be late next week, what type of charger connection does it have? Is it the same as the LG 600 and 300?
    All 3 of the new CDMA LG phones take a mini USB type charger.
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This is a nice phone. I love the high-res display. (I got the tracfone version)

After TF opened up a bluetooth functionality on the LG600, I was hoping for the same here. BUt if there's a way to do file transfer on USB or Bluetooth I haven't found it.

With USB cable (micro connector on the phone side) the computer recognizes the phone but no way to transfer files that I've found.

The Bluetooth pairs with other devices, no file transfer, just headphone and vCard. At least I have been able to send phonebook contacts from another BT phone.

To get a photo off the phone I had to send it in MMS. (1.5 units). I was able to send a midi ringtone to the phone and save it. That's all I've had time to try so far.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    After 24 hours with this phone I'm still liking it.

The bad -
    Tracfone locked down file transfers
    No way to customize the menus at all
    Easy to accidentally hit buttons if carried in a pocket
    Restricted web

The good -
    QVGA screen
    Can use MP3 ringers (at least short ones work)
    Feels solid and well made
    Web is fast enough to be usable (1xrrt)
    good keypad
    1.3 mpixel camera
    standard 2.5mm jack for a wired headset
    Voice activated dialing - this is accessed easily by the call button of a bluetooth headset, but without a headset it takes about 3 button presses to get to the right menu option.

I've transfered ringers, wallpaper and photos via MMS and phone contacts via bluetooth. I've only made one short voice call so far, voice quality seems good.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The file transfer lockdown is going to be a problem. The size limit on a MMS message is 350kb. A typical photo taken at highest resolution and best quality turns out to be over 350 kb so there's no way to move it off the phone.

Is the Net10 version also similarly locked down?

P.S. Here's a 640 x 480 sample pic, good clarity for a cell phone.
    Last edited by Mosaic55; 11-14-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Feedback Score

Web Browsing and Pic Attachments

I too have the problem with not being able to access the web with the Browser function or receive or send pictures. I've talked to Customer support at least twice and have open tickets, but no resolution yet. I'm beginning to think it's a network problem in area.

If anyone hears anything on this, please post something right away>

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast