Thread: Orange UK top up with US credit card?

Device(s)
    32Gb iPhone 3G S⃣ - white
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Orange UK top up with US credit card?

Does anyone know where I can buy an Orange Uk top up voucher online with my US credit card? I have my new SIM, activated it and have a number now but there's no balance. I'll be leaving shortly for the UK but would like it toped up before I leave. The Orange UK website doesn't allow you to use a US credit card.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Isnt there a forum for the orange carrier? If there is, have the mods move your thread there for you to get the answer you need, unless you can get it here in the apple forums
    Mopar ftw!!! NYLX

Device(s)
    ASUS Zenfone 3 Deluxe, Nexus 4, Lumia 650 dual sim
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I am sure you can find it on ebay UK. I topup my UK tmobile sim card via that means.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnItUp
    Does anyone know where I can buy an Orange Uk top up voucher online with my US credit card? I have my new SIM, activated it and have a number now but there's no balance. I'll be leaving shortly for the UK but would like it toped up before I leave. The Orange UK website doesn't allow you to use a US credit card.
    Are you scheduled to fly into London Heathrow? If so, you can get your Orange (and just about any other UK SIM) topped up in the terminal. Once you clear Customs/Immigration, look for a branch of "Boots the Chemists" ("Chemist" = "Drugstore"). At the checkout counter, give the clerk your top-up swipe card and your money. (GBP 5.00 min). He/She swipes, the card, takes your money and that's it. Your account is updated almost immediately.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can you also buy a SIM at Heathrow? Every time I visit I buy a SIM, then let the balance expire after I return to the US, but I'd like to be able to get set up before I start the long drive from Heathrow to my destination.

Last time I was there the T-Mobile shop in Cardiff wouldn't take my US credit card ("we're not allowed to take those, they must be chip-and-PIN cards") and made me pay cash. Turned out no-one else we bought from on the trip refused to take the old-style US 'swipe' cards.

BTW I'm thinking about the Camel plan because it allows calls to the US. Do they really clamp the amount you pay for internet to £2/day? That seems cheap, or do they lmiit you to 1MB/day or something?

Thanks ... Mike

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    T-Mobile internet is £1/day (subject to fair use of 40MB but I've used over a gig before without a problem!)

Using yourcallworld it's 3p/min to the US - so if you still have your t-mo sim (does it still work?) this is possibly an option.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks Lozza. Is there anyone at Heathrow who sells SIMs? If not, I guess there's a Tesco somewhere on Bath Rd. (hopefully I can buy a SIM there, they list them on their web site).

Mike

Carrier(s)
    Rogers/Fido/T-Mobile (US)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can buy SIM cards from vending machines in LHR - However...! The cost is 10 GBP and as far as I can tell, there is NO credit on them. If you can wait until you get to your destination, you should be able to find a store for one of the major carriers or a branch of Carphone Warehouse. (They carry a variety of SIMs.) Google search the sites of the various carriers. They all have lists of the various store locations.

The carriers' store staff are usually pretty good about setting up the SIM/Account for you.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks smuggler, I didn't consider the possibility of airport-proximity inflation

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by sar840t2
    wouldn't take my US credit card ("we're not allowed to take those, they must be chip-and-PIN cards") and made me pay cash. Turned out no-one else we bought from on the trip refused to take the old-style US 'swipe' cards.
    They can still take the card if the terminals are up to date, which being a phone shop it should be, they just swipe it and the computer after recognize that it is a out of country card should walk the cashier through how to complete the transaction. You will need Your Passport or a Government issued ID though since they have no pin they need to make sure that you are you.

Quote from http://www.frommers.com/articles/4793.html

"There are some retailers where the cashier just hasn't been informed enough, and they've just had it hammered in that they must use chip-and-pin," said Louise Hamilton of Visit Britain.

Michelle Meyer, press officer for APACS -- the UK organization that arranges credit card payments -- agrees.

"Often it is a case of miscommunication where a customer warns the retailer that their card is not chip and PIN compliant, and then the retailer incorrectly replies that the card cannot be accepted. In reality however, provided that both retailer and card are Visa/Mastercard compliant, the machine would automatically default to ask for a signature rather than chip and pin entry," she wrote in an e-mail.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+/5/4, Moto G LTE, Nokia E63, & data devices
    Carrier(s)
    SaskTel
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank goodness Canada has chip-and-PIN now

When I was in London I phoned Orange and asked if I could register my Canadian credit card. I can now top up from Canada.

I'm not sure if they'd let you register a US credit card from the US or want you to be on their network so that they have an idea of who you are, but you could give them a call and try.
    SaskTel 306, Rogers 647 data, Rogers 306 flex tablet, Bell 519 flex tablet, Wind 587, PureTalkUSA 406, T-Mobile 716 & 347 prepaid, AT&T iPad SIM 716, T-Mobile postpaid data 619, Toggle Mobile (UK/FR/US), GiffGaff (UK)

GSM phones: Too many to list.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Luckily on this trip no-one looked at me like I had two heads when I'd hand them the card and say (somewhat apologetically) "it's a 20th-century swipe card, remember them?".

I look forward to the US banking industry pulling it's head out of its rear end and introducing chip-and-pin cards, but I doubt that will happen any time soon since there's nothing in it for them.

BTW I ended up buying a Tesco SIM for £0.99, topping up £15 of airtime and getting another £30 credit, which lasted me for the 2 weeks I was there. However I failed miserably in my attempts to sign up for a week of unlimited internet for £2 (each time I would try I'd be told to try again in 48 hours, lather-rinse-repeat). It would have been nice to have access to Google maps, but oh well.

Mike

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    yes u can topup your Orange UK mobile with you non chip and pin US credit card at ezminutes.com