Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: The Noob guide to Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk/America Movil

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HFUN View Post
    How long can you wait before you have to activate a plan bought from eBay and is it officially documented anywhere? Thank you
    unless the ebay page says otherwise, there shouldn't be any expiration date.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    unless the ebay page says otherwise, there shouldn't be any expiration date.
    Well theres gotta be a limit, HSN bundles are 1 year. Some people have contacted Tracfone but are getting conflicting answers from 90 days to 6 month.

Feedback Score
    When you buy a phone and an airtime card from shop.tracfone.com with a $15 promo code, do you get an actual airtime card or do they apply it to the phone for you?

I just opened a combo that I bought back in March, no invoice/packing sheet, no airtime card, just a piece of paper telling me the airtime will be applied upon activation.

I'm hoping they quit doing that since then.
    I don't recall them doing that with the other Fiesta2 I bought back in late March, so I was surprised they did it to this one. I knew they did it to a lot of SIM card purchases, didn't realize they were doing it to phones.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    When you buy a phone and an airtime card from shop.tracfone.com with a $15 promo code, do you get an actual airtime card or do they apply it to the phone for you?

I just opened a combo that I bought back in March, no invoice/packing sheet, no airtime card, just a piece of paper telling me the airtime will be applied upon activation.

I'm hoping they quit doing that since then.
    I don't recall them doing that with the other Fiesta2 I bought back in late March, so I was surprised they did it to this one. I knew they did it to a lot of SIM card purchases, didn't realize they were doing it to phones.
    Pre-loaded airtime bundles seem to be the new norm.
    Only time will tell if it pays off in profit and they stay with it.

Feedback Score
    A friend needs to move service from his soon to be useless LG236C to a modern phone on Verizon.
    Two catches: he has 15k minutes, and he recently moved and wants to change his phone number.

So, with probably more minutes than a chat rep can transfer, and needing to change the phone number, how would you do it?
    I'm thinking activate the new phone with the old number, then ask for a zip code change.
    Tracfone rewards referral code OXCC-2594 gives 8,000 points to new rewards members at rewards.tracfone.com or in the Tracfone App.

Sign up for the TracFone rewards program here: https://www.tracfone.com/rewards

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I'm thinking activate the new phone with the old number, then ask for a zip code change.
    I've read somewhere that TF allows you to change the phone number up to 12 times a year. Member gmannix had reported that he got a new phone number just by texting "MINC" (without the quotes) to 611611. This link has a list of Tracfone short codes that you can text to 611611. Keep clicking on MORE to see more.
    List of Tracfone Short Codes

Feedback Score
    Won't MINC just get you a different number in your current zip code?
    I scrolled to the end of the list and didn't see an option to change zip codes.

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I have no ideas. Had never used MINC myself.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a5G, Moto G Stylus, G Power, G7 Power and G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    It will ask you for the zip code.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    It will ask you for the zip code.
    Thanks.
    I wonder if that works with the 236C flip phone or if he should do it after he changes to the 3 bucket phone.

Device(s)
    Pixel 4a5G, Moto G Stylus, G Power, G7 Power and G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, Metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    I wonder if that works with the 236C flip phone or if he should do it after he changes to the 3 bucket phone.
    I don't think it matters.

Feedback Score
    I'm new to Tracfone. I've dutifully read all 312 articles in this thread and realize there's not been a post recently in this thread and the first post may no longer apply. Also TFML probably no longer can be got on a new phone if I've understood correctly. I saw a HSN deal of a phone + 1500 minutes/texts/data for a year for approx $100 (varies by model) which should meet my needs. I venture out of the house very little and most places I go have WiFi so I have no concerns. I have several questions:

1) I see Tracfone has a rewards program. I'm struggling to understand it. Do I join the program before or after my HSN purchase? I suspect I can't join it before since I will not have active Tracfone service - but, as you may have guessed, I'm rather clueless about how the rewards program works.

2) Related to the above: will my HSN purchase qualify for this program? Is there any down-side going forward to buying from HSN as opposed to Tracfone directly from a rewards perspective ... I thought I'd read somewhere that such third party purchases did not entitle you to some kind of rewards but can't seem to find that article.

3) Also related to the above do I need a referral to get additional points?

4) If for some reason I run out of minutes / texts / data, can I buy "buckets" of any one separately during this first year - I see various "cards" for such with no "service" - presumably they just increase the bucket without extending your service (still would end after 1 year in this case)?

5) Do minutes / texts / data not expire as long as one has active service? If yes, what's the cheapest way to maintain active service. This is to help me understand future costs.

6) I understand the phone can be unlocked after a year. Does that mean I need to buy a second year of service to unlock the phone? How much does a year of 1500 minutes/texts/data cost when not bundled with a phone. I struggle to find the real cost with all kinds of "deals" being available.

7) Is DTML applicable to smart phones? If yes, how does one get it?

As I said I'm a newbie - if there's a primer (other than this thread) someone can point me I can go read it. I'm not in the least offended by RTM type responses, especially if they provide links to the information.

I also understand Verizon may be acquiring Tracfone. Presumably this means anything could change. I understand that and I also understand your responses will be based on what is currently known.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

p.s. If I should have created a separate thread for my questions instead of following up to this one, will a mod please delete this and let me know and I'll do so.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    This thread probably does need updating as a lot of the early information is no longer valid.
    To answer your questions to the best of my ability:

1) You join within 2 weeks after starting your new account. Best to set up your account through the web site as that will allow you to manage it later.

2) All that is required is a new account, doesn’t matter where the phone comes from.

3) Adding a new account will get you 7000 pts. You may or may not do better with a referral. I don’t know if they can be stacked.

4) Some “buckets” come with service days some come as an add on without. You get to pick what works best for you from the (somewhat) limited menu of choices. By exploring Tracfone’s website you can see what is available.

5a) Correct. 5b) Usually a plan or refill card that includes service days with minuets, texts, and data, though many here just buy a new phone package with included service.

6) No need to buy more service to unlock a phone after one year provided it’s been used at least once every 6 months with the original sim.

7) Smartphones are not eligible for Double Minuets For Life or Triple Minuets For Life and have their own Smartphone Only plans. Again, visiting the Tracfone website you can explore the available options.

Just to add, any tracfone you purchase now will most certainly include a Verizon sim so be sure to check that thier service will work for you.

Hopefully I’ve answered most of your questions and I’m sure there will be someone more knowledgeable who can expand on or correct any mistakes or misleading info I’ve given you here, but this should get you started.

Feedback Score
    Here is a good plan for a low-usage scenario.

Buy a bundle from HSN, QVC, Tracfone's ebay store. These are safe.

Open a Tracfone online account, which is really just a "dashboard". It doesn't do anything unless you tell it to.

You can use Chat to actually activate your phone or you can use your online "dashboard".

If you need more talk/text/data during the 365 days, you can buy them individually and they will merge with whatever you already have, like adding gas to a car.

Adding extra service days is usually easy. It depends on what else you want when that time comes. You don't have to buy Tracfone's expensive website offerings. You can buy a more basic card at a retailer. These tend to favor service days.

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Unless you use a TON of minutes, texts, or data, like LISME said, your best bet pricewise is to buy a phone on Tracfone's eBay store or from HSN or QVC.

You get a new phone with the year's service included (usually 1500mins/1500texts/1.5gb data) and the bundle sometimes costs less than if you bought the phone without the service bundle. I don't know why but I got a Moto e5 for $50 and an LG Solo for $60 on TF's eBay store that way.

You can buy more talk, texts, or data on Tracfone's website as needed.

They also had a year's service only extension for 49.99 that they would offer if you put airtime or a text or data pack add on in your shopping cart but I don't know if it's still being offered.

My favorite phones currently are Motorola and LG. Motorola is number one. I have an e5, an e6, and a Motorola E (2020).

I hope you find what you want and it works out well for you.

Anytime you need advice or help, just start a thread in the main TracFone forum. There are a lot of helpful people here.

Sent from my moto e6 (XT2005DL) using HoFo mobile app

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast