Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will unlocked GSM Bell/Telus phones work on Fido?

Device(s)
    Blackberry Q5, Blackberry Z30
    Carrier(s)
    Wind, Public Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JMPBass
    Nope, cos T-Mobile's 3G Network is not on the same frequency as Bell/Telus/Rogers/Fido.

T-Mobile is 1700/2100, whereas the Big 3.5 are 850/1900. If WIND were coming to town, they'd be the same as T-Mobile.
    The dash is quad band though.. Unless if GSM/HDSP aren't compatible on the newer CDMA networks...
    I'm confused...

Device(s)
    X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I completely forgot to try last night, sorry everyone!
    My tenant is back this afternoon with his Bell phone, will try & post then.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSamurai
    The dash is quad band though.. Unless if GSM/HDSP aren't compatible on the newer CDMA networks...
    I'm confused...
    I'm pretty certain the HTC Dash quad-band GSM, not quad-band HSPA. There is a difference. GSM is the 2G system, more or less. HSPA is the 3G equivalent of the GSM system. Different frequency spectrums, and I don't think the Dash covers it. It would work on Rogers and Fido because they have GSM coverage, but not with Bell or Telus's new system as they are dual-band HSPA and not quad-band.
    "If I said it, I said it for myself, not for any carrier or company for which I may work. Therefore, don't use it against me."

Device(s)
    SH-01A
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    so technically I can buy a 9700 from bell without contract unlock it have it worked with Fido with no problems at all? just making sure is bell 9700 branded bell on it like the rogers one is?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiatus
    so technically I can buy a 9700 from bell without contract unlock it have it worked with Fido with no problems at all? just making sure is bell 9700 branded bell on it like the rogers one is?
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ss

if you unlock it it will work with any sim cards 4 everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Using Bell Blackberry 9700 on Fido right now, works perfectly.

Fido iPhone 3GS unlocked with blackra1n/blacksn0w working fine with Bell (and using the now expired unlimited 50 student voice/data plan )

Device(s)
    blackberry bold
    Carrier(s)
    FIDO
    Feedback Score

Toronto

say i use my moms telus account to upgrade to a bold 9700 or iphone 3GS
    if i unlock the iphone or bold will i be limited to just 3G or will i be able to use EDGE on fido as well as 3g?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy SII 4G
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pc_7
    say i use my moms telus account to upgrade to a bold 9700 or iphone 3GS
    if i unlock the iphone or bold will i be limited to just 3G or will i be able to use EDGE on fido as well as 3g?
    Um, of course you'll be able to use both.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianflash
    Um, of course you'll be able to use both.
    Actually, this is a very valid question.

Because Fido built a 3G network on top of a pre-existing 2G GSM network, the phones will drop down to 2G GSM and use EDGE for data if you loose the 3G network.

On Bell/Telus, the underlying 2G network is CDMA. If the phone looses the 3G network on Bell/Telus you will get No Service (or 'Emergency Only') since those phones do not support a 2G CDMA network.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeResident
    If unlocking an BB 9700 is the same as unlocking a Rogers 9000 or 8900 then it should take you 30 seconds to unlock it
    Unfortunatly its not. The Bell 9700 has 2 lock levels (MEP2- Net and MEP4-SP). Telus one has 1 (MEP4-SP)

Unlocks are going to me more expensive.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G 8gb
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_torch
    Actually, this is a very valid question.

Because Fido built a 3G network on top of a pre-existing 2G GSM network, the phones will drop down to 2G GSM and use EDGE for data if you loose the 3G network.

On Bell/Telus, the underlying 2G network is CDMA. If the phone looses the 3G network on Bell/Telus you will get No Service (or 'Emergency Only') since those phones do not support a 2G CDMA network.
    i think you're talking about the wrong situation.. if you take a Rogers 9700 and use it unlocked on bell/telus, this would be the case. but if you unlock a bell/telus 9700 phone and use it on Rogers/Fido, you'll get full GSM/GPRS/EDGE support because the phone itself has those specifications.

so to clarify:
    unlocked Bell/Telus 9700 on Rogers/Fido will work due to GSM/GPRS/EDGE support

unlocked Rogers 9700 on Bell/Telus will work in 3G zones ONLY

if someone smarter than me could verify this, please do!
    I like.. cell things.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Mobilicity
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MissFido
    i think you're talking about the wrong situation.. if you take a Rogers 9700 and use it unlocked on bell/telus, this would be the case. but if you unlock a bell/telus 9700 phone and use it on Rogers/Fido, you'll get full GSM/GPRS/EDGE support because the phone itself has those specifications.

so to clarify:
    unlocked Bell/Telus 9700 on Rogers/Fido will work due to GSM/GPRS/EDGE support

unlocked Rogers 9700 on Bell/Telus will work in 3G zones ONLY

if someone smarter than me could verify this, please do!
    This is exactly what I said. Anyway, let me clarify once and for all:

For ANY phone that has 3G and 2G GSM:

On Rogers / Fido: The phone will use the 3G network unless there is no 3G network, then it will use the 2G network.

On Telus / Bell: The phone will use the 3G network unless there is no 3G network, then it will get No Service.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    Fido Solutions
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_torch
    For ANY phone that has 3G and 2G GSM:

On Rogers / Fido: The phone will use the 3G network unless there is no 3G network, then it will use the 2G network.

On Telus / Bell: The phone will use the 3G network unless there is no 3G network, then it will get No Service.
    100% correct.

FIDO $60/10GB + 5 hours unlimited data
    WIND $15 AITF unlimited data (10GB full speed)

All my posts are my own opinion only and not necessarily that of any of my employers, past or present.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Carrier(s)
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeResident
    If unlocking an BB 9700 is the same as unlocking a Rogers 9000 or 8900 then it should take you 30 seconds to unlock it
    I've heard that Bell/Telus's Blackberry Bold 9700 is harder to unlock than Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700. I agree with you that it takes less than 30 seconds to unlock a Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 (after waiting for the subsidy unlock code that is)... it also currently costs $3.75 CAD to unlock the Bold 9700 from Rogers (or any other Blackberry from Rogers).
    Unlimited Fido Data Plan: Netgear Aircard LTE Mobile Hotspot

My Tech Blog

Device(s)
    iPhone 4 16 GB
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NewPunk
    Using Bell Blackberry 9700 on Fido right now, works perfectly.

Fido iPhone 3GS unlocked with blackra1n/blacksn0w working fine with Bell (and using the now expired unlimited 50 student voice/data plan )
    Where did you get your BB 9700? And if you don't mind my asking how much did you pay? I'm going nuts trying to find one at a decent price!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast