Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No, you can't use a Verizon phone with an Alltel plan...

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.546 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

In my verizon you can add the $29.99 data plan without switching to the smartchoice plan, I went threw the upgrade process to see for myself and it stated that my plan was compatiable with the droid but I had to pick the data plan, it was a required selection. There is no way around it no matter what plan your on. Actually I found that a vzw plan would be better/cheaper for me because they don't allow vzw dumbphones to add unlimited data like connect pack 1 even if you have alltel plan. Gotta get one of those vzw connect plans for a vzw dumbphone if you want unlimited web.

Device(s)
    OCEAN
    Carrier(s)
    Helio
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilvertab
    They are hoping that the droid will launch for Alltel within the next few months.
    is this true? does anyone know if they will be releasing the motorola droid on alltel? or is this just rumor?

thanx

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by WREX-INK
    Quote Originally Posted by bsilvertab
    They are hoping that the droid will launch for Alltel within the next few months.
    is this true? does anyone know if they will be releasing the motorola droid on alltel? or is this just rumor?

thanx
    Yeah right, strickly wishfull thinking.

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    Well, it appears I answered my own question. I logged into my Verizon account and was able to get all the way to checkout with the Droid Eris, keeping it as the second line on my SmartChoice plan for a total of $40 per month ($20 for a second line, and $20 for data), same as we are paying for her PPC-6800. Plus, the online purchase price for the Eris worked out to $69 after the rebate and online promotion. Looks like the Mrs. is getting a new phone for Christmas after all.
    Last edited by answerman; 12-11-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling... grr
    The Answerman - owner of the HTC Droid Incredible!!! And yes, we have achieved ROOT and NAND unlock!!!

For generally helpful stuff like my SID finder, PRLs, and more of my rants and observations on the world in general, visit http://www.the-answerman.com.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    "Can I keep my Alltel plan?"

The amount of inaccurate information coming from the call centers and corporate stores is on this issue is astounding. We are 5 months into the major conversion to Alltel, so it is hard to believe the reps "were never told" that upgrades don't REQUIRE a change to a VZW plan. In fact it happens so often, I must ask, what are the financial incentives that make them do this so consistently? (A rumor is that these count as new activations.)

The most common occurence is when one line on a family plan wants an upgrade and they are told the upgrade is impossible without a conversion of the entire family plan to VZW. The entire family is upgraded, often at no small expense, and typically pay a higher monthly bill. The sense of betrayal is overpowering when they learn of the unneeded costs and hassle.

Again here the rules, if you already have an Alltel plan:

1. Add a line - Keep your Alltel plan, or select a new Alltel plan.
    2. Upgrading - Keep your Alltel plan, or select a new Alltel plan.
    3. Plan changes - Select a new Alltel plan.

Here is the tricky part. All new activations and upgrades must be VZW devices. VZW devices can only have VZW features ---- EXCEPT IF THEY ARE AN INTRINSIC PART OF THE ALLTEL RATE PLAN!

EXAMPLE - The Answerman could choose:
    1. An Alltel NF plan with a $29.99 PDA feature with VZW text package
    2. An Alltel Smartchoice plan with unlimited texting and PDA feature intrinsic to plan
    3. A VZW rate plan with PDA features on both his phones.
    And he could change between 1 and 2 indefinitely. But should he choose 3, I am wondering if that is a final step in cutting out the Alltel option?

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Number 3 is the final step across the bridge, it would make you fully vzw, with no chance of ever seeing an Alltel plan again. Also, with data cards you can upgrade & keep your unlimited $59.99 plan but it will be a grandfathered vzw plan. I upgrade to the MiFi threw my vzw account, when I got it activated I found that the mifi had a vzw IP address & no longer said alltel but instead, vzw on speedtest.net. The usage shows as "unlimited mb allowance" in my vzw, so all is good with data cards too. MiFi is the best bang for the buck with data cards.
    Last edited by sneakattack; 12-12-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Hint
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakattack

Number 3 is the final step across the bridge, it would make you fully vzw, with no chance of ever seeing an Alltel plan again. Also, with data cards you can upgrade & keep your unlimited $59.99 plan but it will be a grandfathered vzw plan. I upgrade to the MiFi threw my vzw account, when I got it activated I found that the mifi had a vzw IP address & no longer said alltel but instead, vzw on speedtest.net. The usage shows as "unlimited mb allowance" in my vzw, so all is good with data cards too. MiFi is the best bang for the buck with data cards.
    Have you noticed a difference in speed and/or reliability with the service since you've gone to a verizon device? I have an Alltel datacard, and am thinking of trying a verizon usb card with my cradlepoint router before i say screw it and ditch the service for a competitor once they upgrade their network next month.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro w/Energy
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel still???
    Feedback Score
    Ok..answer this one. I have a Verizon phone that was or is hacked to work on Alltel when they were Alltel, I never got EVDO or MMS to work. Now that I guess we are switched to Verizon although I still get an Alltel bill and have to log into Alltel, can I switch the settings back to Verizon to get EVDO and MMS to work? I am in the Lincoln, NE area. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.
    ====================================
    US Cellular Touch Pro 2 on Alltel Network
    ROM: Energy 29022 Windows Mobile 6.5.3 Sense 2.5 Cookie.2.0 Hometab
    Dual-Boot with XDAndroid

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro w/Energy
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel still???
    Feedback Score
    Wow...no coments or suggestions on this one?

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (Alltel Plan)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerKeller_jr
    Ok..answer this one. I have a Verizon phone that was or is hacked to work on Alltel when they were Alltel, I never got EVDO or MMS to work. Now that I guess we are switched to Verizon although I still get an Alltel bill and have to log into Alltel, can I switch the settings back to Verizon to get EVDO and MMS to work? I am in the Lincoln, NE area. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated.
    If you still log into Alltel to see your account, you are still with Alltel.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown
    "Can I keep my Alltel plan?"

The amount of inaccurate information coming from the call centers and corporate stores is on this issue is astounding. We are 5 months into the major conversion to Alltel, so it is hard to believe the reps "were never told" that upgrades don't REQUIRE a change to a VZW plan. In fact it happens so often, I must ask, what are the financial incentives that make them do this so consistently? (A rumor is that these count as new activations.)

The most common occurence is when one line on a family plan wants an upgrade and they are told the upgrade is impossible without a conversion of the entire family plan to VZW. The entire family is upgraded, often at no small expense, and typically pay a higher monthly bill. The sense of betrayal is overpowering when they learn of the unneeded costs and hassle.

Again here the rules, if you already have an Alltel plan:

1. Add a line - Keep your Alltel plan, or select a new Alltel plan.
    2. Upgrading - Keep your Alltel plan, or select a new Alltel plan.
    3. Plan changes - Select a new Alltel plan.

Here is the tricky part. All new activations and upgrades must be VZW devices. VZW devices can only have VZW features ---- EXCEPT IF THEY ARE AN INTRINSIC PART OF THE ALLTEL RATE PLAN!

EXAMPLE - The Answerman could choose:
    1. An Alltel NF plan with a $29.99 PDA feature with VZW text package
    2. An Alltel Smartchoice plan with unlimited texting and PDA feature intrinsic to plan
    3. A VZW rate plan with PDA features on both his phones.
    And he could change between 1 and 2 indefinitely. But should he choose 3, I am wondering if that is a final step in cutting out the Alltel option
    ?
    How would I, who have 2 Alltel phones on an Alltel family plan, upgrade to VZW phones but change from a voice only Alltel plan to an Alltel Smartchoice Plan to help save money on data?

If I logon to myverizon, and click on upgrading phones OR upgrading plans, I am forced to choose a Verizon plan. If I try logging onto Alltel, I get the message that my number/login is not an Alltel login. Do I have to call VZW or go to a store to see the options of upgrading to a VZW phone (like a droid eris) but to an Alltel smartchoice plan?
    Go Hokies!

Device(s)
    HTC Droid Incredible (rooted, of course)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon... no longer Alltel.
    Feedback Score
    The way I understood it, you probably can't go to a SmartChoice plan at this point. If you had one premerger, it was grandfathered, but I think any new phones requiring a data plan will necessitate purchasing the Verizon data add-on, though you would be able to keep your Alltel family plan.

Now, I may not be right, and you may get different answers from different VZW reps. People seem to have better luck doing things like this over the phone as opposed to going to a store.

Carrier(s)
    Alltel, VZW
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; ADR6300 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Quote Originally Posted by answerman
    The way I understood it, you probably can't go to a SmartChoice plan at this point. If you had one premerger, it was grandfathered, but I think any new phones requiring a data plan will necessitate purchasing the Verizon data add-on, though you would be able to keep your Alltel family plan.

Now, I may not be right, and you may get different answers from different VZW reps. People seem to have better luck doing things like this over the phone as opposed to going to a store.
    Yeah if you aren't in a smartchoice premerger you can't get on it now unfortunately.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks- I didn't think I'd be able to switch. Either way it's not a whole lot cheaper like I thought it would be. Might be better off either going with Page Plus or Straight Talk. Adding the $30 data pack would bring a $60 family plan up to $90 and then over $100 with taxes/fees... not quite what I'm looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2