Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Samsung Highlight=Opera Mini + GMail :-)

Device(s)
    Moto Cliq XT
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well, I tried to do the upgrade thing through Wal-Mart, and hit two roadblocks. At the first Wal-Mart, the system kept saying there were multiple accounts for me and that the rep needed to call the carrier. When the Wal-Mart rep called in, he asked me for my sim card. I told him I couldn't provide that, as I wasn't carrying a phone for the line I was upgrading. He slammed down the phone and yelled at me that I couldn't do the upgrade without the sim card. I left that Wal-Mart and went to a different one. The second one had a great rep, but she kept hitting the same roadblock with the system. When she called in to T-Mobile, they said everything looked good from their side, and that it appeared to be something with Wal-Mart's system. The rep said that the best bet was for me to try on a different day.

I went down the road to the nearby Best Buy, which sells the Highlight for $49. I have done upgrades through them before, but am hoping I can get the cheaper price through Wal-Mart. Best Buy did have the Sony Ericsson Equinox, which looked pretty nice. It was free with 2-year extension. I almost bought that one, but didn't know anything about it. I came home empty handed.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby214

I went down the road to the nearby Best Buy, which sells the Highlight for $49. I have done upgrades through them before, but am hoping I can get the cheaper price through Wal-Mart. Best Buy did have the Sony Ericsson Equinox, which looked pretty nice. It was free with 2-year extension. I almost bought that one, but didn't know anything about it. I came home empty handed.
    sorry for changing the subject...but how is your experience with upgrading through best buy? do you have to change your plan or anything? Do they charge upgrade fees?

thanks.

Device(s)
    nokia 6133
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPro
    Ya know you can do all that work if you want, but if you're lazy like me, just go the the site and download the signed version. I didn't see one for Gmail, but is worked on my Highlight for the new Google Maps, the new Opera Mini beta and the Amaze GPS app. Just make sure you select the signed version. m.opera.com recognized my phone as the t749, but still tried to steer me to the unsigned version.

Plus the Highlight already has full HTML browsing, I think. I like the feature where you can zoom out to see the page and then zoom back in when you see something you need more detail on. For GMail I just use the GMail web2go link that comes configured with the phone. Ditto for Facebook.
    when you got amaze gps app did you get it to work when i downloaded it they wanted me to buy the full version to use the nav screen? (driving route) and what ver did you download also does google maps have driving instructions on it? if so what ver of that

Device(s)
    Moto Cliq XT
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox
    sorry for changing the subject...but how is your experience with upgrading through best buy? do you have to change your plan or anything? Do they charge upgrade fees?

thanks.
    I had a good experience with Best Buy. The price was great, though they did charge the $18 upgrade fee. They didn't have an extra etf like Amazon does.

I did finally get the Highlight from Wal-Mart. They had to call in and do it manually, but they didn't charge the upgrade fee. The last rep I got actually knew what he was doing, and was great to work with.

Device(s)
    Moto X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    thanks for the info scooby. They didn't change your grandfathered plan when you upgraded at walmart right?

Device(s)
    Moto Cliq XT
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox
    thanks for the info scooby. They didn't change your grandfathered plan when you upgraded at walmart right?
    They didn't change my plan or require any addons, such as a texting package. What an awesome deal, for $18.88 with no upgrade fee!

The rep told me that Wal-Mart used to charge the $18 upgrade fee (that would show up in the next bill). T-Mobile had changed things back and forth between charging the fee and not charging the fee, and he hadn't "heard" that he had to charge the fee. He showed me in the computer where he could enter in the upgrade fee. He entered $0.00 for mine. Sweet!

EDIT: Wal-Mart's automated system requires you to have the sim card on hand for the line being upgraded. If you don't have it, they activate a new sim and your old one gets disconnected. This would've been a problem for me, as the line I upgraded is the one my mother uses, and she lives quite a distance away from me. Since they had to do the upgrade manually, they didn't have to have the sim card. That was lucky for me. Otherwise, I would've called my mother and had her read to me the number on the sim card.

The only issue I have had with the Highlight was that the internet wouldn't hardly work at work. My work is on the fringe of 3G signal, so it would occasionally switch to 3G and work. When the 3G disappeared, it wouldn't connect to the internet. I would get connection failed errors. When I go in on Monday, I will go through the hack menu to set the phone for GSM only and see if it works through the edge network. When I did changed the setting to GSM only at home (where I have good 3G coverage), it would connect via edge with no problems. If it still gives me problems, I may call in to CS and see if they are having tower issues. I would love to see them turn on 3G on the tower right by work, but I bet it will be a while before they get to it.

My Nokia E63 works just fine at work, though I didn't have it with me today. I wish I would've had it, so I could see if the problem was with the Highlight, or the network.

Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2