Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Premininary thoughts on N900.

Feedback Score
    But if the most used buttons were at the bottom corners, I would think it would be a pain to use when in closed mode.

Again, is there (not) a keyboard shortcut to go to the task switcher when in open mode?

Feedback Score
    The only reason I can think of for them putting it at the top is because I'm guessing they didn't want to have people bumping the menu button accidentally if it was at the bottom of the screen and would rather put it at the top where it's basically accessable but out of the way. This could be solved by including a menu button on the hardware keyboard since you mentioned it's only really a problem when you're using the keyboard and have to slide your hand up?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viipottaja
    Sr1329, I would think having the button on the top left is ideal for when using in closed mode and two handed (i.e. using your left hand thumb). Does that not work well?

Btw, is there a keyboard shortcut when using in open mode to go to the app switcher?

ps. Would be great if you'd post a video review on e.g. youtube to highlight some of the issues.

Frankly closed mode is useless. The onscreen keyboard is terrible. I don't want it to be, but it is. It covers the whole screen and when I tried typing on it iPhone speed it caught about 2 out of every 6 letters. So I guess I'll have to slow down for it. Nah, I'll just never use it.

You know what would have worked? If they put PHYSICAL buttons on the corners like in an Xbox or PS3 game controller for closed or open mode. That would just rule. For open mode either bottom software buttons or physical buttons at the bottom just to the side of the screen would have completely changed the feel of this device. It would have been perfect.

I've always complained about where the iPhone menu button is because I believe it should be on the side where your thumb can hit itas you hold it with your right hand and your index if you hold it with your left.

I think manufacturers need to think about ergonomics.

Feedback Score
    Well now that I'm thinking about it a little more...I think it was an intelligent decision to put the address bar in the browser at the bottom of the screen as well as text boxes in the messaging client in the exact same place, so it'd be accessible to your hands in position to the hardware keyboard. Who knows, if enough people ask maybe they could implement the software to move the menu button to the bottom of the screen when the hardware keyboard is slid open.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak
    The only reason I can think of for them putting it at the top is because I'm guessing they didn't want to have people bumping the menu button accidentally if it was at the bottom of the screen and would rather put it at the top where it's basically accessable but out of the way. This could be solved by including a menu button on the hardware keyboard since you mentioned it's only really a problem when you're using the keyboard and have to slide your hand up?

Other apps like the browser has all its buttons on the bottom and thank heaven, because they were on the top the browser would be hell to use.

When closed it's fine, but this device is really terrible in closed mode. That keyboard is best not even seen.

Also it's funny how people (usually ignorant - as in never actually used it) would criticize the iPhone as being a two handed phone. Funny how the reality is that it can be easily used either way. This phone NEEDS two hands. How the tables have turned.

Feedback Score
    I guess you do need to use it mostly in open mode when/if entering anything. Then again, not quite all apps/usage situations require inputting data entries.

ps. I've seen some folks say the onscreen keyboard is actually not bad. I guess a matter of personal preference to some extent too.

Device(s)
    Toshiba TG01
    Feedback Score
    I'm not on anybodies payroll, i know perhaps a dozen guys with N900, all of whom have zero problems and are quite content with it
    http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showgroups.php

I know what i'm talking about, do you!!

Mobile-Review.com senior Admin

Feedback Score
    Sr1329, got curious and googled it - in case you did not know, you can go the task switcher from the qwerty:

"Ctrl + Backspace: From within an application this will take you back out to the visual task manager."

http://nokiaexperts.com/tips-shortcu...00-user-guide/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I guess you do need to use it mostly in open mode when/if entering anything. Then again, not quite all apps/usage situations require inputting data entries.

ps. I've seen some folks say the onscreen keyboard is actually not bad. I guess a matter of personal preference to some extent too.

Not bad is not good. So instead of terrible I'll just say not good.

Pretty much anything you would be doing with the phone short of watching video or listening to music involves data entry. For me data entry and retrieval are pretty much the only reason I would interact with a device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sr1329, got curious and googled it - in case you did not know, you can go the task switcher from the qwerty:

"Ctrl + Backspace: From within an application this will take you back out to the visual task manager."

http://nokiaexperts.com/tips-shortcu...00-user-guide/

Thanks. That's great to know. Because I wasn't having so much fun with those soft buttons.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWEB
    I'm not on anybodies payroll, i know perhaps a dozen guys with N900, all of whom have zero problems and are quite content with it

Then why aren't we hearing their glowing reviews. Before I bought this I tried to get impressions on it and I could really find none. Is the device so lackluster to them?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm beginning to see there's a lot to learn about this phone. Just found the Maemo gestures website. There's some cool stuff in there that I guess I have to look around for.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by humblehyper
    It came with PC Suite right? Will it allow you to text using your PC when you connect it with bluetooth or cable?

I don't know. I usually avoid PC Suite. Since I sync via MS Exchange I really don't need a PC Suite for this phone. Now I can't OTA updates so I guess I'll find a use for PC Suite.

Device(s)
    N95-1 V21
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers That
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    I will. Checked out Maemo Select found some stuff there. Really the absence of an app store doesn't bother me. It would be good for the platform but I guess that's Nokia's problem. Sadly by extension it is mine if I choose to keep the device, since a store attracts development.

If you guys had it for so long why didn't you post your thoughts?
    actually "I" don't have it , so I can't post my thoughts. Also why the hell go to maemo select , better go to forums , you will find many useful things such as jabber extention which pretty useful . Also, post your thought and your feedback there since they are many maemo workers who developed mameo 5 . About capacitive screen, if you watch maemo summit , you will see that screen type will be standard for maemo 6 and so on

Device(s)
    N95-1 V21
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers That
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    I don't know. I usually avoid PC Suite. Since I sync via MS Exchange I really don't need a PC Suite for this phone. Now I can't OTA updates so I guess I'll find a use for PC Suite.

As far I know from the mameo forums, someone said that ovi suite will allow N900 updates .

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast