Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: My N900 Report

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sr1329
    id love to post this in my thread but since its locked ill just post it here. when i called a friend today he couldnt hear me at all. i tested it and the microphone did not work. it works after a restart though.
    i've heard a lot of people have been having microphone problems. Works after restart? Maybe software issue rather than hardware

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-3
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazil
    has anyone played with the A2DP bluetooth? should work, and i def need it. I got one of those BT sony head units that came out earlier this year, and i use wireless headphones.
    +1 for AVRCP
    Yup, works just fine.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    FYI, although it is still definitely a kludge and not a realistic replacement for a better Exchange-compatible e-mail client, I can confirm that OWA does work on the N900 browser.

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's too big of a stretch to see that these devices will be replacing computers in the future.

I feel like if you combined the individual pros of the N900 and the iPhone into a single device, along with more powerful hardware, you would have a real desktop replacement. (this won't happen for a while because nothing else will sell ) They both have things they excel at and lack at, though if I needed to use a device right this second it would have to be the iPhone because I rely on maps and I use portrait mode for literally 95% of my usage. After seeing the first impressions of the device I could definitely see myself liking maemo over android in the future. Hopefully by the next device/whatever is after that it can do all the things I need it to.

Feedback Score
    I purchased my N900 at the Nokia store, Chicago yesterday afternoon, and played with it on the Metra train back to the 'burbs. Here's my preliminary thought in this my first post on Howard Forums.

First, I'm an old guy, 67 years, who loves technology and this thing has a bit a learning curve. It's truly a handheld computer, a departure from all other cellular devices that I've used. I'm using it on AT&T as we travel a good bit, and I can't deal right now with T-Mobile's coverage.

It's loading web pages faster than my E-71; the screen is crystal clear. It's simple to scroll and zoom. So, for example, I'm viewing the actual MSNBC page, and not a digest meant for cell devices. Even with AT&T, it's adequate.

I'm an audiophile and music is important. The op-amp circuitry provides a clean and hiss-less signal even twith in-ear monitors such as Shure and Etymotic and with more than ample power. This beast is clean sounding even when compared to my IPod touch. It's quieter. Internet Radio is working fine on Edge. It's a bit clunky to use when compared to the E71, but I've found that manually loading my favorite stations has been a cinch. I downloaded the FM tuner application last night, but have not used it. I'll report in a follow-up post.

Frustration! I've yet to find a way to move music from ITunes to my storage card. Multimedia Transfer from Nokia on my IMac doesn't recognize the N900 at this point. I'm certain that I'll find a work around, but am hopeful that Nokia will update.

Thanks for reading this, and thank you to all for the great information that you freely give.

The Old Guy!

Feedback Score
    ilVecchio, when you plug in something to the 3.5mm jack does it give you an option to use line-out to bypass the internal amp similar to the way it works on S60 or by using the dock connector to output music on an iPod/iPhone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak
    ilVecchio, when you plug in something to the 3.5mm jack does it give you an option to use line-out to bypass the internal amp similar to the way it works on S60 or by using the dock connector to output music on an iPod/iPhone?
    Not from what I can tell. The settings menu also appears very limited right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kpo'm
    Not from what I can tell. The settings menu also appears very limited right now.
    Agreed!

It'll be very interesting to see just how this platform develops over the next sic months. I expect an explosion of goodies.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilVecchio
    I'm an audiophile and music is important. The op-amp circuitry provides a clean and hiss-less signal even twith in-ear monitors such as Shure and Etymotic and with more than ample power. This beast is clean sounding even when compared to my IPod touch. It's quieter. Internet Radio is working fine on Edge. It's a bit clunky to use when compared to the E71, but I've found that manually loading my favorite stations has been a cinch. I downloaded the FM tuner application last night, but have not used it. I'll report in a follow-up post.

Frustration! I've yet to find a way to move music from ITunes to my storage card. Multimedia Transfer from Nokia on my IMac doesn't recognize the N900 at this point. I'm certain that I'll find a work around, but am hopeful that Nokia will update.
    Is there a USB mass storage mode? That's what I was doing before NMT updated for N97
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    Nokia N97
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uxi
    Is there a USB mass storage mode? That's what I was doing before NMT updated for N97
    Yes there is

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't think it's too big of a stretch to see that these devices will be replacing computers in the future.

I feel like if you combined the individual pros of the N900 and the iPhone into a single device, along with more powerful hardware, you would have a real desktop replacement. (this won't happen for a while because nothing else will sell ) They both have things they excel at and lack at, though if I needed to use a device right this second it would have to be the iPhone because I rely on maps and I use portrait mode for literally 95% of my usage. After seeing the first impressions of the device I could definitely see myself liking maemo over android in the future. Hopefully by the next device/whatever is after that it can do all the things I need it to.
    The only thing holding this back is lack of battery technology. Every military in the world is trying to make a "smart soldier" and the weight of the battery is holding up a lot of stuff. As soon as we find a logical and cost effective replacement for Lithium-ion batteries then it is quite plausible to put an 800MHz A110 processor (fast enough) with a GPU able to output over 1080. If you look at the UMPC market, there are many devices that can do this, sadly - none of them can fit in a normal sized pocket.

Device(s)
    LG V20 and LG G Pad X 8.0
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile One Plan 6+1 lines
    Feedback Score
    It may be strange but it's 100% possible, use heartbeat to generate electricity.
    Every human can generate power as well as it is "alive".

Optimum/Cablevision

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Skyedance
    It may be strange but it's 100% possible, use heartbeat to generate electricity.
    Every human can generate power as well as it is "alive".
    Yes, I am aware - we have all seen the Matrix. There was also a phone that used a Swiss automatic movement so when it was in your pocket it would charge but I am pretty sure that thing made Veru's look cheap.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilVecchio
    I purchased my N900 at the Nokia store, Chicago yesterday afternoon, and played with it on the Metra train back to the 'burbs. Here's my preliminary thought in this my first post on Howard Forums.

First, I'm an old guy, 67 years, who loves technology and this thing has a bit a learning curve. It's truly a handheld computer, a departure from all other cellular devices that I've used. I'm using it on AT&T as we travel a good bit, and I can't deal right now with T-Mobile's coverage.

It's loading web pages faster than my E-71; the screen is crystal clear. It's simple to scroll and zoom. So, for example, I'm viewing the actual MSNBC page, and not a digest meant for cell devices. Even with AT&T, it's adequate.

Thanks for reading this, and thank you to all for the great information that you freely give.

The Old Guy!

I beg to differ on its audiophile virtues. I have the ER4-S and the SE530 and the HD-25-1 and this phone does not outperform iPhone/iPod in driving headphones. The only true audiophile solution with this is USB to Headamp Pico or similar. In fact it even lacks the line-out setting that the N78 had. Right now, I'm happy with iPhone -> line out dock -> Xin Supermini 3 -> HD25-1.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

No it does not. I was surprised.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast