Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 3G in Western Wisconsin anytime soon?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

3G in Western Wisconsin anytime soon?

Just as the title states. Anywhere in the Eau Claire area?

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have heard that Eau Claire should have it be year end. That is the news anyways.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    3G? I think they should worry about at least increasing their EDGE service in WI!! lol AT&T can't even cover the whole route from Madison to Milwaukee with 3G on the interstate. I hope you can get some 3G coverage in Eau Claire sometime but I wouldn't count on it as "fast" as AT&T seems to move in WI!!

Device(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by silliybilly View Post
    3G? I think they should worry about at least increasing their EDGE service in WI!! lol AT&T can't even cover the whole route from Madison to Milwaukee with 3G on the interstate. I hope you can get some 3G coverage in Eau Claire sometime but I wouldn't count on it as "fast" as AT&T seems to move in WI!!
    I agree that Edge on the AT&T in Northern WI is sorely lacking with any sort of speed and that I think it would be more beneficial to customers to fill in on the Highways before hitting every medium to small town. That being said I do believe that Eau Claire is worthy of getting 3G as well as LaCrosse and maybe Wausaw but after that I would hope they would focus on the Interstates and major State Highways. It seems like is some States they are doing just that. Connecting the major markets with 3G on the Highways but I have not seen it in any northern states yet.

Feedback Score
    ATT is messed up in La Crosse. You can port your number in no problem but you can't officially sign up for new service in the area as they can't give you a local number. Zero official ATT stores - only Radio Shack and Best Buy. Best Buy will sell you an ATT phone and plan but it will be an Eau Claire number. Yet, ATT spends money to advertise on billboards, buses, print and radio around here.

Anyways, I was told Q3/Q4 this year for 3G in Eau Claire. I can tell you that for whatever reason, the Edge speeds in Eau Claire for me have been terrible. Not sure why but at least the Edge speeds in La Crosse seem pretty solid. Everytime I'm in EC I'd get lame results (30-50k/s or less) but La Crosse is usually decent for Edge (120-150k/s). Here's hoping they upgrade both of them soon. In La Crosse, there should be less than a dozen towers to update as once you get outside of the immediate area, its partner coverage only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have lived here in Eau Claire for about 3 years and I can tell you that sometimes the Edge speeds are OK and sometimes they are terrible!

Feedback Score
    No 3G yet but at least in La Crosse there appears that there is an Att store open(ing). Hopefully 3G for Eau Claire and La Crosse isn't far behind. I can say that there is no plans for 3G in Sheboygan WI this year according to AT&T.

Given atts numbers so far (185 towers to be updated), I would guess that:
    Completed: Fon du Lac, Janesville
    To be completed this year: eau Claire, La Crosse, Wausau and maybe Wisc Dells.

Here's hoping they are ahead of schedule with the rollouts.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thxdude View Post
    No 3G yet but at least in La Crosse there appears that there is an Att store open(ing). Hopefully 3G for Eau Claire and La Crosse isn't far behind. I can say that there is no plans for 3G in Sheboygan WI this year according to AT&T.

Where did you get those numbers? They put up a tower in my back yard and we already had good Edge coverage and speed. Is there a way to tell if that tower is online yet? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    The numbers were in ATT's press release back in April I think for Wisconsin investments. It was like 185 towers to be updated in the state along with 15 or so new towers. The local store told me that ATT is claiming October for 3G in Eau Claire and La Crosse but they are quoting to customers by January 2011 just to be safe incase the timeline slips.

To see if you are talking to the new tower, you'd have to match the field test mode numbers to the tower which should be listed on the FCC site for location and ID. The field test mode varies by hand set though.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I went to the FCC site but didn't see anything helpful. Can you point me to the spot where I would see those Location and Id numbers? Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3G in Wausau would be nice. Good to hear maybe by EOY.

While I don't live in Wausau, we have close family that lives there and we regularly visit. It amazes me that even with 100,000 people, the Wausau area still doesn't have 3G AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Looks like Spooner, WI is blue on the ATT map now. Hopefully they are addressing larger towns in general as it seems a bit odd they would focus on such smaller, rural areas first.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by thxdude View Post

Any reason why you specifically say there's no hope for Sheboygan this year? We've got 3G knocking at the county line both to the south and west, even penetrating the southwest part of the county pretty good. You figure they'd keep going!

Feedback Score
    Sorry Sheboygan, just posting what the ATT guy over at the Facebook forums was saying. I'm guessing if its not this year, it will be Q1/Q2 next year.

Feedback Score
    No 3G love for the PGA Championship this year.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast