Thread: Technology and TV/Movies

Device(s)
    Gayle Iphone 6 Mikes Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    GTE/Verizon Wireless since 86
    Feedback Score

Stupid Question for Today

Can you or anybody turn on a prepaid cell phone remotely after it's been physically turned off? Anyone know for sure. I always thought if it's off it's off and can't receive any signals.

Reason for question......and yes I know it's a storyline to manufacture a story but on NCIS Los Angeles last night, after a murder by cell phone explosion, NCISLA located the cell phone that triggered the explosive cell phone. They did it by remotely turning it on and then when an agent was close proximity called the phone to find it and check it for prints and where it was bought. I immediately thought they certainly know how to fabricate a story but is there any possibility that can be done. I didn't think so but could anyone, maybe even law enforcement authorities, have a way for this to happen. Stranger things have come true, maybe this is possible. Anyone know for sure????

Mike

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    No, it's not possible unless there is some type of third party HARDWARE installed, meaning someone would have to physically take your handset apart, and install some type of device. I don't even know if a device, such as the one I'm describing, even exists, but it's speculation.

NCIS is on TV for a reason; it's fiction.

Device(s)
    Gayle Iphone 6 Mikes Iphone 5s
    Carrier(s)
    GTE/Verizon Wireless since 86
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Urban........I suspected that answer, but someone from our church has a cousin in the FBI/Homeland security/Secret Service or one of those branches, I don't remember, and he does a lot of secretive things that he can't even talk about. Our friend says he'll tell them something and then stop short of finishing the story because the rest of the story is classified. The only dealings I've had with him was hearing something that I figured shouldn't have been told. He has to make that judgement. I imagine there are things going on that would boggle the mind and trigger nationwide panic if known. Thanks again.
    Mike

Device(s)
    Note III
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaylemike
    Thanks for the reply Urban........I suspected that answer, but someone from our church has a cousin in the FBI/Homeland security/Secret Service or one of those branches, I don't remember, and he does a lot of secretive things that he can't even talk about. Our friend says he'll tell them something and then stop short of finishing the story because the rest of the story is classified. The only dealings I've had with him was hearing something that I figured shouldn't have been told. He has to make that judgement. I imagine there are things going on that would boggle the mind and trigger nationwide panic if known. Thanks again.
    Mike
    Has he told the story about the remote control insects with nano cams? Or NASA has found a way to keep a positive charge infinite and no longer needs batteries in space.

Would like my cell to have an infinite positive charge!!!
    Last edited by sneakattack; 12-16-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Forgot the smiley

Feedback Score
    I saw that NCIS. Thought it was too stupid also. Anybody with any training is going destroy the phone. If not they'll at least take out the battery & destroy the SIM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb
    I saw that NCIS. Thought it was too stupid also. Anybody with any training is going destroy the phone. If not they'll at least take out the battery & destroy the SIM.
    But if they did that you couldn't solve the crime in 40 minutes!!!

Feedback Score
    These shows give the American people false information. I don't care whether it's fiction or not, things like this just don't happen. Period.

I always get annoyed at those people who think that they're being tracked even while their phone is completely shut off, with the battery still in. You'd notice the battery life go down the drain if it was actually still transmitting information periodically.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ParthG
    These shows give the American people false information. I don't care whether it's fiction or not, things like this just don't happen. Period.

I always get annoyed at those people who think that they're being tracked even while their phone is completely shut off, with the battery still in. You'd notice the battery life go down the drain if it was actually still transmitting information periodically.
    It's a TV show, it's not supposed to be real. Now, anyone who treats information from TV shows as real (aside from perhaps most documentary shows, and perhaps some information from all kinds of shows that's still based on some reality) would probably be the problem, not so much the TV shows themselves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C DM
    It's a TV show, it's not supposed to be real. Now, anyone who treats information from TV shows as real (aside from perhaps most documentary shows, and perhaps some information from all kinds of shows that's still based on some reality) would probably be the problem, not so much the TV shows themselves.
    Well yeah that was the point. The people are the problem and the shows are making things worse.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ParthG
    Well yeah that was the point. The people are the problem and the shows are making things worse.
    I like to refer to this as "The dumbing of America".
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd
    I like to refer to this as "The dumbing of America".
    Well, again, no one is really "dumbing" anything, it's the people who are either already there or allowing themselves to get there. Plenty of people can watch and enjoy all kids of shows (down to pointless ones) and not be affected by them one way or another, beyond basically being entertained and/or passing some time.