Thread: Blackerry on non-data plan broke can i activate a new BB without getting data

Feedback Score

Blackerry on non-data plan broke can i activate a new BB without getting data

Hi,

So i have a BB curve with no data plan. A button on my phone broke and i want to get a new BB. Here are my questions

Will i be required to get a data plan with the new att data plan requirements?

Can i get the upgrade price advetized on att's website without a data plan?

What happens if insurance sends me a new BB will i be able to activate that phone?

Feedback Score
    oops i meant if warranty sends me a new phone not insurance. i dont have insurance

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve 8900 (OS v5.0.0.238)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If warranty sends you a new phone, you're fine. If you're not eligible for an upgrade, and you don't want to go through warranty, you're SOL and need to pay full price for a phone unless you can get an exception upgrade.

I'm pretty sure all of these questions have been answered on HF before...

If you get a new BB, you need to get a BB Data Plan. End of story, no if's and's or buts about it.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    I searched and could not find the answers.

Infact i would ask you to clarify your answer.
    Are you saying that if i'm eligible for an upgrade i can upgrade to a new BB and not have to switch to a BB plan? Or the upgrade route is YMMV?

And you are also saying that if i get sent a warranty replacement i will be able to use the new phone (warranty replacement). Without switching to a data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottt
    If warranty sends you a new phone, you're fine. If you're not eligible for an upgrade, and you don't want to go through warranty, you're SOL and need to pay full price for a phone unless you can get an exception upgrade.

I'm pretty sure all of these questions have been answered on HF before...

If you get a new BB, you need to get a BB Data Plan. End of story, no if's and's or buts about it.

Hope this helps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.411 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

If you buy a blackberry from the store or online, you'll need to get a data plan.

If you get a warranty exchange, nothing on your plan changes.

Don't know how to get anymore clear than that...

Feedback Score
    Scott, i appreciate your help.

But these two statement made by you contradict each other

If you're not eligible for an upgrade, and you don't want to go through warranty, you're SOL

If you buy a blackberry from the store or online, you'll need to get a data plan.

So if i get an upgrade for extending my contract do i have to get data?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8900/5.0.0.411 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

If you are not eligible for an upgrade, and you don't want to use warranty, you would have to buy a new bb full price. If you buy it full price, there is no contract extension. No changes to your plan. If you do a warranty exchange, there is also no change to your contract. They send you your refurbished model, you send your old one back to them. If you are eligible for an upgrade, you can get a new blackberry, but you would need to add the required data plan.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Any AT&T-branded BlackBerry or PDA placed into service after September 6, 2009 requires the appropriate data plan. It does not matter what the source of the phone is. The data plan has nothing to do with a contract except in the case of international data plans.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    efparri even if its a warranty replacement?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skx172
    efparri even if its a warranty replacement?
    It is a different phone placed into service. How can a phone one did not have be grandfathered?

Feedback Score
    what if i buy a nokia e72 from ebay can i activate that?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skx172
    what if i buy a nokia e72 from ebay can i activate that?
    GSM phones are not activated. The SIM card is activated. If the phone is AT&T-branded and qualifies as a PDA, BlackBerry or iPhone, the appropriate data plan is required. The Nokia E72 has never been offered by any carrier in the United States so it should fall in the "Unknown" loophole. There is no guarantee that the loophole will last forever. You should make sure that the model you purchase has the correct 3G bands for AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    It is a different phone placed into service. How can a phone one did not have be grandfathered?
    Warranty replacements fall under the same rules as the phone being replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri
    Any AT&T-branded BlackBerry or PDA placed into service after September 6, 2009 requires the appropriate data plan. It does not matter what the source of the phone is. The data plan has nothing to do with a contract except in the case of international data plans.
    Actually it doesn't matter whether it's AT&T branded or not. The only thing is if it's not AT&T branded then AT&T can't enforce the smartphone rules by the IMEI. If you were to walk into a store with a Nokia E72 or an unlocked BB Storm, they rep should activate the appropriate smartphone data plan.

Carrier(s)
    ATT Go Phone plan
    Feedback Score
    How about if you too the SIM card out of a regular phone and stuck it in an unlocked VZW phone with wifi.... say a Storm 2? Can the phone be used with NO DATA PLAN and internet acessed via wifi?

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Please read the post just above yours. It addresses that situation in the 2nd half.