Thread: Scammed by theCanuck99

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Scammed by theCanuck99

Don't buy from this seller. He is a scammer. I am a victim, and yes I didn't read the warnings.

I thought I did enough due diligence, but apparently I didn't.

Story:

I was looking for an iPhone 3GS. And Kevin (theCanuck99) contacted me in regards to him having one unit and mentioned that he has great feedback on HOFO (http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...ht=thecanuck99) and on Ebay. He has msn and a phone number he was willing to give to me. His feedback here on Hofo was decent, and I even pm-ed the people who left feedback (blahzay [1000+ post with great feedback], Falco [3200+ post with great feedback], etc.) confirming that they did buy a phone with him and that he was safe to deal with.

He even messaged me on HoFo proving to me that it is his account (http://howardforums.com/member.php?userid=1048789) . I double, tripled checked the names making sure there was no unusual character flaw (ie. 0 being O), etc.

Then he also provided me with his details:
    Phone: (778) 846 - 5874
    Email address/Msn: [email protected]
    Address: 14418 81A Avenue, Surrey, BC, Canada V3S8J2

Google Streetview: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=14418+...2,183.88,,0,10

I did give him a call, and he did answer to prove that it was his phone number, etc.

So I decided to trust him and paid by EMT (silly me, I know.). He shipped it the very day but then emailed me saying:

"I have some good news and a little bit of bad news..

The phone was shipped off successfully today. I was very busy and got my friend to take care of it for me. Stupid guy though sent it regular parcel even though I told him xpresspost. I am very sorry about this I will call Canada Post tomorrow to see if I can pay for the extra and change it to more expedited. I am very sorry for this inconvenience and I will scan you in the receipt if you like but there is no tracking number for regular parcel as its an option.

To resolve this situation when you receive the phone in 3-5 business days as advertised and inspect everything is great with the phone, I will emt you $30 dollars back. Let me know if this is reasonable to you to compensate for my mistake as I know you wanted it sooner hopefully it will be there around Monday as it doesn't ship on weekends, if it is 3 days it might actually be there Friday."

---

So I believed him. When Wednesday came of the next week, and the package still has not arrived, I decided to email him and phone him cause I was concerned just to realize that his phone now forwards to a voice mail (which I left several), and his email has no response, nor does he have any response VIA PM.

2 Weeks later, I decided to post this -- and realized that he was banned so it is safe to assume he was a scammer and I'm hoping other people don't fall for this like I did.

Really, read the disclaimer on this forum, and always deal locally.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    yeap i got scammed for $2000 by this *******, but i do have his REAL Name and address which was on that phone number he gave you.

His name is no Kevin (if thats what he told you, I even got a copy of his drivers lic)

dont know what to do from here, even though i have real info, dont think i can do anything.
    - fr0zen

Device(s)
    Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm a victim too, though probably not as much an amount as you guys. Tried calling him too and goes straight to voicemail and says you have reached "ziggy".

Device(s)
    Nokia 5800 (hacked, custom boot screen)
    Feedback Score
    Report it to the cops, guys. You have some confirmation that you sent him money right?

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    i have his real info that i got from the information on his Bell Line, the credit card used and the address used by him on the line

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Burn the scamming *******! I hate thieves!

Device(s)
    BlackBerry 8830 WE
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0zen
    i have his real info that i got from the information on his Bell Line, the credit card used and the address used by him on the line
    What's the next step? I'm willing to help -- I have transactions history, etc. Perhaps if we have enough people, we can build a case to Certapay? I'm sure he has to have deposited the money through Certapay to an account.

Jeremy

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    You should contact the Attorney General's office in the city the ******* lives in and file a formal complaint. After that do what you can to get your money back.

Device(s)
    Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    I'm down with helping out to get my money back, but I don't have any of his info or know the process. Just let me know what to do and I'll help in

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    This is what I got form my contacts:
    He was using a Pay as you go phone with no real information, but the Credit Card used was registered under this name.

If this CC was fake too then I got nothing, but this is what I could get:

Harris Sing
    Nick name: zegee
    Address: <I have the address, but I dont want to post it here, PM me if you need it>
    You think anyone can find this pen1s?

I am sure he is reading this here

Quote Originally Posted by fr0zen

I am sure he is reading this here

That's why you all victims should communicate thru Private Messages and not posting on the forums. Make sure if any of the newbies joining the convo, make sure you identify that person is a real victim but not the scammer himself trying to spy what info you got.

Device(s)
    Blackberry 9000
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Feel sorry for all of you guys...

Make sure not to deal with shipping method unless the member got at least
    20 feedbacks / registered 2 yrs or longer / have more than 500 posts

When dealing, try to meet in person at PUBLIC place for your protection
    eg. Tim Hortons / Starbux / inside Gas station

And for the last, even if you have to pay a bit more, always try to buy it
    from someone trustworthy members

been dealing with lots members thats more than 200 transactions here
    yet never got scammed so far, always be careful and protect yourself
    cause once got scammed its damn hard to get your money back

Feedback Score
    Gese... almost got scammed by him. Was going to buy 10iphones. He msgd me on RFD (I have 50BST feedback there, 3000posts, and been there for 3yrs), he msgd me on HoFo to ensure I was who I was, and he even called me.

Good thing I stuck to my guns

Sorry for your loss though.

What has been done in the end? I was talking to him late Novemeber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fr0zen View Post
    yeap i got scammed for $2000 by this *******, but i do have his REAL Name and address which was on that phone number he gave you.

His name is no Kevin (if thats what he told you, I even got a copy of his drivers lic)

dont know what to do from here, even though i have real info, dont think i can do anything.

fr0zen, do you still have the scammers information still?????