Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

google sync v mobile me

Anyone who has used both services, should i be paying 99/year for mobile me when it seems like google sync will do the same...

what are the differences. I had a customer who had the google phone from tmobile come over to att and i easily loaded up all their contacts and calendars via google sync. seemed flawless. let me know

Carrier(s)
    I <3 Verizon!
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonie360
    Anyone who has used both services, should i be paying 99/year for mobile me when it seems like google sync will do the same...

what are the differences. I had a customer who had the google phone from tmobile come over to att and i easily loaded up all their contacts and calendars via google sync. seemed flawless. let me know
    Google sync is better because Mobile Me only works on Apple phones. Google sync works on everything. Plus it's free. I certainly didn't renew.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe12304
    Google sync is better because Mobile Me only works on Apple phones. Google sync works on everything. Plus it's free. I certainly didn't renew.
    For me it was worth it, because I l also use it to back up folders on my 3 macs. Plus Mobile Me works better than Google Sync on the mac. If it was just the iphone and a PC, then I would say Google Sync. Oh, Mobile Me also has the Find my iPhone functionality.

Device(s)
    HTC Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonie360

I've been debating about this same exact situation. I have email addresses through both MobileMe and Google, and love both.

I guess it depends on which applications you're using. I am in love with iCal, but have no intentions of buying an iPhone in the near future. iCal works best with the iPhone, and from my experience doesn't sync well with most phones. With the help of other users on these message boards, and me just taking a stab at several different options, I got my iCal to sync with Google Calendars.

This is great, since I really enjoy the Calendar on my HTC Eris. I do a lot of work on my Mac, and I really like having my appointments pushed right to my Eris (to my Google Calendar) without having to physically connect it to my computer.

I'll be honest... the actual Mail program (on the Mac) itself in my opinion is OK. It rarely picks up all spam I receive, but luckily I don't receive a ton so it doesn't bother me to delete it myself. The Mail program on my computer is slow, and I'm not thrilled by the web experience I'm given by MobileMe. I've been using it extensively for a little over 2 years now and still finding myself not wanting to let Gmail go.

I also have a Gmail account, which I was using before I got my MobileMe address. I really like the Gmail layout, and since I travel between home, work and school frequently, the snappy web layout I get works very well. The only downside is that I always have to be online to view emails. Sometimes when I'm at home I like to open up my Mail program and refer to an email I had previously received. I know you can do offline browsing in many web browsers, but opening up a web browser to view an offline page isn't the most exciting experience ever.

The reason I MAY keep MobileMe is because my family really likes my online gallery. I am constantly uploading pictures on there that my family from out of town can view any time, any place. I know there are many picture-hosting sites out there, but even my most computer-illiterate relatives have an easy time navigating my albums on my MobileMe site.

I don't use the Address Book on my Mac or MobileMe account, so this isn't something that's holding me back. Also, since I mentioned I don't have/want an iPhone, Find My iPhone is of zero use to me.

For a lot of people right now, money is tight. As a result, I can see a lot of Mac/Android users resorting to Google to do all of their syncing. It's FREE. I've always been impressed by both Google and Apple, so I would base your individual experiences on your final decision.

Do you own a Google Experience phone yet? Or just planning on purchasing one? My recommendations would be to set up a free Gmail account if you haven't already, and run both MobileMe and Gmail. The Gmail experience might be better on the phone, but if you do a lot of computer work you may prefer your MobileMe.

As of right now, I have my contacts synced with Google (I've had to hand-type mine many times, which is a pain), my iCal synced with Google Calendar, and I'm still using iDisk to store important files. I love the way the calendars sync, but I can see it being too much hassle for a new user to set up.

I've thought about NOT renewing my MobileMe account many times, but there's always the problem of having to switch mailing lists over to another email address. Just like changing your phone number, informing people of your new email address can be a pain. Weigh it out though, and let me know if you have any questions!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I won't be renewing my mobileme subscription. Google sync does everything i need it to do.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Google Sync and MobileMe are very similar, but MobileMe gives you online storage. Google Sync is free and easily syncs with almost any phone you can buy.

Google Sync works via Exchange meaning you can set it up as an exchange account on the iPhone and Mac with Snow Leopard and have all your mail, calendars and contacts synched. MobileMe only works with iPhones, Mac and PCs so if you switch to an Android phone or WinMo then you lose some sync capability.

Device(s)
    Iphone 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Formerly known as Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have both and recommend either one. Only thing that bothers me about Google Sync is the fact that when I delete a message from Inbox it goes to the All Mail folder then I got to delete it from there in order for it to go into the trash bin.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Mobile Me if you need offline storage.

Google Sync if you need interplatform sync. Right now I can seamlessly sync contact and calendar changes on my Android, Blackberry, Nokia and iPod Touch on the air. I change on one and change them all.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I use Google Sync now, but miss that reminders aren't synced So, looks like I will be sticking with MobileMe.

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (White), Nokia N85 (poor little bugger)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless,
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've been using Gmail since early beta. I loved the service then, and I'd copulate with it now, given the chance. Which brings me to my next point, I've tried .Mac only to go "eww". Reason? I just don't particularly like the @mac.com domain. Now we've moved to MobileMe. Sexy design. GREAT iPhone Finding capabilities. However, I have my own server for web-things, so MobileMe's other features aren't appealing at all.

I find MobileMe's push email to be much more reliable in general versus Google's Exchange. I cannot search on Google, it takes forever for my mail to send, and it also takes ages for Google to synchronise my ALL MAIL folder. I'm forced to use Google's Exchange Server because everything I do is through Gmail. In the past week, I've found that messages weren't even pushed to my inbox, so I always have to keep my IMAP account configured in the event I need access to my mail.

I LOVE push through Google, I just don't think that it's ready at all for even beta use. But who can blame me for insisting on using it?
    iPhone 3GS | Middle of Nowhere (850mHz HSDPA)

iPhone 3GS | City of Pittsburgh (850mHz HSDPA)