Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sygic Navigation Confirmed For N900

Feedback Score
    You can already side-load map data on the N900. It uses the exact same map file structure as S60 Ovi/Nokia maps, and the maps are completely free.
    Winner of 3rd Annual HoFies Award.
    Gold Medal for 'Most helpful S60 Hofo'er'
    Bronze Medal for 'Funniest S60 Hofo'er'

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Yep, I agree oddsocks. That is what I do as I do not have a data plan, I am just hoping for some voice nav (for free).

And for those complaining about the N900 not having free voice nav and comparing it to the android:

1. Android JUST got that after being out for a while, and the N900 is BRAND new.
    2. Only android includes it for free, not iPhone, or anything else, so it is NOT standard.
    3. Maemo is a much smaller user base, so the costs associated with developing for it are not yet worth fully it for devs (hence the higher price). I am just happy to see anyone developing for it.
    4. Google want to know all of your info including where you drive, so of course they will give it away for free

Device(s)
    N900
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    So it looks like ovi maps will have free navigation, hopefully they finish a new version for maemo so we can take advantage of it.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...gation_goe.php

Feedback Score
    Free nav for Nokia "smartphones" announced. But I haven't found any confirmation that this will include N900.

http://www.nokiausers.net/Nokia-Pres....html#comments

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Fido for now
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canabal
    So it looks like ovi maps will have free navigation, hopefully they finish a new version for maemo so we can take advantage of it.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...gation_goe.php

http://twitter.com/allaboutmaemo/status/8021824445

That's all I've seen so far

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Pharos Traveler 137
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    from what i've read it doesn't look like it'll come to the n900 anytime soom.

Which sucks big time. If nokia really wanted this to compete with the android phones this would be a huge coup for them

Feedback Score
    That's correct. In a report of the news conference, the Nokia rep acknowledged they would bring navigation to Maemo/N900, but gave no timeline. I'm not holding my breath for anything until Maemo 6, which may or may not preclude N900. Too bad.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canabal
    4. Google want to know all of your info including where you drive, so of course they will give it away for free
    Of course, Nokia also plans to use Ovi Maps to advance "location-based applications" (read - ads).

Feedback Score
    Sure, Google and Nokia are not charities and there's no "free lunch". I remember the howls of protest when Google put ads on Gmail. Now I don't even notice them anymore and if I did, there's probably a Firefox extension to block them. People happily give away personal information on social media sites that is probably more valuable than real-time location--and they often don't realize that monetizing this data is what pays for their "free" site. I'm willing to lose locational privacy in exchange for the convenience/safety of navigation. If I want to be "incognito", I could probably turn off the GPS/AGPS and/or buy an app to block ads on my phone. But that's only an illusion because we're all barcodes with almost zero privacy even when we supposedly have legal protections, such as so-called doctor/patient confidentiality-- yeah, right . . .

Device(s)
    Pharos Traveler 137
    Carrier(s)
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    i guess with ovi maps prob not coming to the n900 we'll need software more than ever.

Feedback Score
    Ovi Maps is already on N900.. But I gather you mean voice navigation. I would say its quite likely to come at some point but for now Sygic is the way to go if you need voice guidance. For everything else the new version on N900 works _reasonably_ well it seems.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    Fido for now
    Feedback Score
    Nokia has some sort of partnership deal with Sygic, so it would make sense that they would at least wait until their partner's nav app is released before marching in and totally cannibalizing sales by announcing their own competing product can be had for free.

Patience people. Bit of an old-timey concept, I know, but sometimes it's best

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2