Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where Next? Looking Beyond Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver

Feedback Score

Where Next? Looking Beyond Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver

I wanted to get some discussion going on where Wind should set-up or bulk-up beyond the next 3. I know Victoria is on the list. But there's not much news beyond that.

I would like to suggest that they launch in Halifax and London after Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton and Victoria. Halifax would help sell them as more of a national brand. I would suggest Victoria in mid-summer and Halifax and London in the Fall. They'll pretty much have achieved full parity with Fido by this point (excepting Quebec). I would then add Winnipeg before the end of the year. That pretty much means a reasonably national network to me.

In 2011, they can concentrate on second-tier cities like Kingston, Moncton, St. John's, Fredricton, Saskatoon, Regina, Barrie, etc. and fully covering the 401 corridor from the Quebec border to Windsor.

What do you think? Where should Wind go next?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    401 corridor between Missisauga and Windsor. I think that's a no-brainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend
    401 corridor between Missisauga and Windsor. I think that's a no-brainer.
    In what time frame and priority?

Feedback Score
    They should also ensure there's coverage BETWEEN Calgary and Edmonton, as lots of commuting happens between the two cities for weekends, vacations, etc. Lots of people I know here in Calgary have family/friends in Edmonton, and vice-versa. Red Deer is about half way between so that should have coverage. Maybe Lethbridge and Medicine Hat down the road as well, just to ensure that the major centres in Alberta are covered.

Device(s)
    N5
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Massonite
    They should also ensure there's coverage BETWEEN Calgary and Edmonton, as lots of commuting happens between the two cities for weekends, vacations, etc. Lots of people I know here in Calgary have family/friends in Edmonton, and vice-versa. Red Deer is about half way between so that should have coverage. Maybe Lethbridge and Medicine Hat down the road as well, just to ensure that the major centres in Alberta are covered.
    Also between calgary and the playground... aka banff/canmore etc populated areas out that way, golf courses and ski hills and weekend trips, most people i know shrugged off wind as soon as they heard roaming only travel between calgary and the banff and edmonton areas.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    They already mentioned in a couple of interviews that they are doing Kitchener-Waterloo this year and then merge the coverage back to the GTA. Also Victoria, BC is expected to launch in the fall.

In a different statement from one of the higher ups, they said they are working on building western and central Canada (I don't know if this includes MB and SK), before working on Atlantic Canada.

Based on this, you might see Red Deer, Lethbridge, Windsor, Barrie, and St Catherines/Niagara before you see coverage in Halifax or St John's.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    Nexus S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Massonite
    I'd love to see Medicine Hat in the picture but I think 2012 is when we will have it lol . Fort Mac and Grand Prairie would be good markets too .

Feedback Score
    Did they get shut out of Saskatchewan and Manitoba at the auction? I'd like to see them in Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg next.

Feedback Score
    Should these infill areas like along the the 401 corridor or between Calgary and Edmonton take priority over new launches?

I think it's important to build up Wind's rep as a national brand and to that end I think launching in more cities is more important that in-fill. Maybe they should have some kind of dedicated teams to have slow and steady expansions in the GTA and Alberta in-fill areas while they launch in new cities.

The order of priority that I see:
    1) Ottawa
    2) Edmonton
    3) Vancouver
    4) Victoria
    5) Halifax
    6) London
    7) Winnipeg
    8) Southern and Eastern Ontario
    9) Urban areas in Atlantic Canada (St. John's, Fredricton, Moncton, etc.)
    10) Urban areas in the Prairies (Regina, Saskatoon, Brandon)
    11) End to end along the Trans-Canada (particularly in the Prairies)
    12) More rural coverage
    13) Northern Canada (they do have spectrum in all three Terrirtories)

I see 1-7 as priorities for 2010. 8-10 for 2011. #11 for 2012. And #12-13 as ongoing activity beyond 2012.

This would make them a competitor to Fido by the end of 2010. And a decent competitor to Rogers by the end of 2011, which also means not much roaming on Rogers. Bell and Telus will take a while to catch up to.

The more urban areas they cover (major and minor), the less most customers will be roaming. After all, we are a country that's 80% urbanized. This has a number of benefits. Wind gets to capture the most profitable and easy to service customers from urban areas, while the Big 3 get stuck with an increasingly (more expensive to service) rural subscriber base till Wind is in a position to compete in the rural areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmusky
    Did they get shut out of Saskatchewan and Manitoba at the auction? I'd like to see them in Saskatoon, Regina, and Winnipeg next.
    Nope. They have spectrum there. It's just a matter of priority of launch.

Device(s)
    HTC Desire
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just my guess:

2010:
    -Launch in Edmonton and Ottawa by February
    -Launch in Vancouver by March-April
    -Expand coverage in the GTA and Calgary area throughout the year
    -Improve coverage inside the 5 launch area listed above (Dead Zones)
    -Launch coverage in smaller cities that surround the 5 launch areas listed above. eg. Kitchener, Waterloo, London, Niagara, Barrie, Victoria, Surrey, Whistler, etc.

2011:
    -Connecting Ottawa to Kingston
    -Connecting the 401 corridor from Kingston to Windsor and surrounding areas
    -Connecting the Golden Horseshoe and surrounding areas
    -Connecting Edmonton, Red Dear and Calgary and surrounding areas
    -Connecting Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler and surrounding areas
    -Launch coverage in Winnipeg, Regina, St.Johns, Saskatoon, Halifax, Moncton, Fredericton, Surrey, Banff and other Smaller cities .

2012:
    -Launch coverage in more remote/distant areas, eg. Thunder Bay, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Prince George, Medicine Hat.

Hopefully by 2012-2013, most the yellow areas on this map will become red (Wind Home Zones).
    Last edited by Gordon Gartrell; 01-17-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kEiThZ
    In what time frame and priority?
    Immediate - highest priority. Especially between Mississauga and London.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend
    Immediate - highest priority. Especially between Mississauga and London.
    Are you suggesting Mississauga-London before Ottawa, Edmonton, Vancouver, or after? And if after, should that be prioritized over new Home Zone in other major Canadian cities? Do you think that prioritizing GTA expansion would hurt their aspirations as a national carrier?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It should be prioritized after Ottawa/Edmonton/Vancouver (the current known schedule). London has 500 000 people alone, much more than Victoria and Greater Halifax. Add Kitchener/Waterloo, Cambridge and all of the people that live in between and it's a market that can't be ignored.

Feedback Score
    You don't think that would dent their rep as a national carrier, if they prioritize southern ontario?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast