Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where Next? Looking Beyond Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver

Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    I stumbled across this old thread. Interesting to see everyone's predictions from Jan 2010. Anyone care to update their predictions moving forward?

Here's mine (what the hell, we can't be any further off than we were 18 months ago LOL):

2011: KW, Niagara Falls, Victoria, & "slightly" expanded Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Van, GTA zones

2012: London, Winnipeg, Halifax, Red Deer, Abbotsford

2013: Saskatoon, Regina, St. Johns, Calgary/Edmonton corridor, Kingston, Moncton - merger with Mobi.

I don't see too much rural expansion until the 700 Mhz auction.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 403808 View Post
    I stumbled across this old thread. Interesting to see everyone's predictions from Jan 2010. Anyone care to update their predictions moving forward?

Here's mine (what the hell, we can't be any further off than we were 18 months ago LOL):

2011: KW, Niagara Falls, Victoria, & "slightly" expanded Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Van, GTA zones

2013: Saskatoon, Regina, St. Johns, Calgary/Edmonton corridor, Kingston, Moncton - merger with Mobi.

Seems reasonable.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    I think you'll see Barrie by next summer if not sooner. Wasn't there reports of towers going up in Alliston? It does seem to make sense to wait for 700Mhz spectrum to cover rural areas because fewer towers are need to cover the same area because the lower frequencies travel further. Problem is, there no guarantee that they will get 700 spectrum where they want it. Obviously their highest priority is for getting QC spectrum.
    All comments are my own opinion and do not reflect the views of my employer or affiliated groups.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 4 16GB
    Carrier(s)
    Bell (2009 - ...?)
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone else think that the Big 3 should have to start selling off their AWS spectrum since they're doing nothing on it at the moment? I believe they plan to do LTE over 1700/2100MHz, but they're just hoarding it now. It'd be great if Shaw sold their spectrum to someone like WIND so then they west's coverage could get expanded much further
    PHONEMODO
    I swap phones cause I can!

Isn't Hipstamatic just awesome?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile, Rogers, Public Mobile, T-Mobile, 3 UK
    Feedback Score
    It's a 5 year limit. Looks like they'll be launch LTE with it to meet the government requirements. So no, they are in no risk of losing their spectrum.

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers 1992-2010 WIND Mobile 2010-
    Feedback Score
    I agree that WIND should focus more on launching in more cities then expanding existing cities although of course to have both would be ideal.

I just drove from Mississauga to Ottawa this weekend and I don't see the need to cover the area in between Oshawa(GTA) and Ottawa as an example equivalent to Milton to KW and London. Although it would be nice to not roam in between it is still great to be able to be in a "Home zone" both in the GTA and Ottawa. There is only a brief window while I am not within WIND coverage while driving between the two.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoneModo View Post
    Does anyone else think that the Big 3 should have to start selling off their AWS spectrum since they're doing nothing on it at the moment? I believe they plan to do LTE over 1700/2100MHz, but they're just hoarding it now. It'd be great if Shaw sold their spectrum to someone like WIND so then they west's coverage could get expanded much further
    Rogers is launching LTE on AWS this summer in Ottawa, and in other major markets later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraylin View Post
    I agree that WIND should focus more on launching in more cities then expanding existing cities although of course to have both would be ideal.

I just drove from Mississauga to Ottawa this weekend and I don't see the need to cover the area in between Oshawa(GTA) and Ottawa as an example equivalent to Milton to KW and London. Although it would be nice to not roam in between it is still great to be able to be in a "Home zone" both in the GTA and Ottawa. There is only a brief window while I am not within WIND coverage while driving between the two.
    I think Oshawa to Ottawa is more than a "brief window"

I agree though. It doesn't make sense to cover that yet. The 401 between KW and Milton is required because a lot of people do a daily commute along there. But no one does a daily commute between Toronto and Ottawa. Kingston to Toronto/Ottawa, maybe. So when Kingston gets coverage, the 401 is probably going to need it, but not before then.

Carrier(s)
    Bell, WIND Mobile, Rogers, SingTel (Singapore), China Mobile (HK), China Unicom (China)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 403808 View Post

Nice prediction but it is definitely contingent on securing more funding. I don't know how long they can last with the money they are burning from their current operations.

WIND needs to raise money in other ways:
    1) an IPO
    2) cross subsidize wireless with expansion and promotion of other services (internet, wireline) from the globalive brand.

I think they have too much debt right now to even try and get additional debt funding.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If they don't get anymore funding they are finished. They absolutely must get 700 mhz spectrum to be able to compete with the big 3 and its lte.

Sent from my LG-P999 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm some upcoming GTA expansion at any rate...

Yesterday I was on Highway 10 and saw Wind sites through Caledon almost to Orangeville. I could not connect to them, but saw their ID on my BlackBerry.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SharpieFiend View Post
    I can confirm some upcoming GTA expansion at any rate...

Yesterday I was on Highway 10 and saw Wind sites through Caledon almost to Orangeville. I could not connect to them, but saw their ID on my BlackBerry.
    Wow. I'm impressed. Although, Niagara's been in that state for a really long time, so who knows how long it will be before they're live.

Now if it can just go west along 9 to 6, and then south toward KW, I'll be completely covered everywhere I ever go

Feedback Score
    Yeah I definitely want to see 6 covered.... and the 401 from Mississauga to Guelph/KW.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    Wow. I'm impressed. Although, Niagara's been in that state for a really long time, so who knows how long it will be before they're live.

Now if it can just go west along 9 to 6, and then south toward KW, I'll be completely covered everywhere I ever go
    Actually, that's new - I was through the same area about 3 weeks ago and didn't see anything at all. Covering Orangeville make a lot of sense - it's a huge bedroom community for people working in Brampton and Mississauga.

Device(s)
    Various
    Carrier(s)
    WIND
    Feedback Score
    Some 10 years ago, when I was with fido and I did not have my 5590 (which can use bell) and my car broke down.... in an area that Fido has no tower.
    I could not call help till some good guy stopped to call a tow truck for me.

It is important to have reception even if it is rogers for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraylin View Post

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers 1992-2010 WIND Mobile 2010-
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dss View Post
    Some 10 years ago, when I was with fido and I did not have my 5590 (which can use bell) and my car broke down.... in an area that Fido has no tower.
    I could not call help till some good guy stopped to call a tow truck for me.

It is important to have reception even if it is rogers for now.
    Im confused as to how your comment relates to my comment that you quoted however I do agree that having coverage is important, hence why WIND has a roaming agreement with ROGERS....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast