Thread: Bing app review and media store rant

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Red face Bing app review and media store rant

Today I had a chance to use the Bing app on my Dare, and I must say, it was pretty functional. It was able to find things by location and gives you the ability to navigate there with VZNav and a link to call the number. All around I like it and will definitely use it for local searches instead of 411 since I have data.

Then it got me thinking, "I wonder if Verizon has any other useful programs that JUST MIGHT be worth justifying their ridiculous prices." I figured a universal converter program would be cool to have and be a little more convenient then always going online to look it up.

When I poked through the app store, I couldn't find anything but instead saw some of the stuff that they have on there. It was like walking through a "As Seen on TV" store in the mall. Most seem like pointless novelties that are barely worth downloading for free, let alone the prices they charge for it. Wild & Sexy Latinas Slideshow for $3.49 a month. Random video apps for $2.99 a month? Do people really buy these things?

Thought I'd just express myself a bit.

PS: The mobile email program is also kinda functional, except in the new version, it makes a audible beep every "keystroke" and cannot be disabled... really Verizon? Is it that hard to fix?

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (since July 2005)
    Feedback Score
    I also DL'd the app Bing to my Dare but haven't found it very exciting. Admittedly, I'm a slow learner when it comes to software without detailed instructions. But it is frustrating that I have "Location On" enabled and when I start Bing, a screen pops up lecturing me about turning "Location On" on. Then the first search is performed as if I am in the last location that I previously used Bing. I shut down the app, start it up again, and then it performs a search in my current location. Rather crude. It only seems to be looking for places of business. More of a commercial advertising piece of software if that's all it will do. I tried looking up a specific address by house number and street, thinking it would display a map with the location shown. Nothing. Couldn't find a business at that address, I guess. As I said, I'm a slow learner and could be all wrong on how Bing is supposed to work, but so far, as Shania Twain would sing, it "didn't impress me much."
    Always here to help. Call me "Miss Information"

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The way I see it, its more of a free web based alternative to 411. I had to find a doctor's office today for a friend and I just searched "Dr. [name], [city]" and it found it without a hitch. And I think for your residential search, that's what Verizon wants you to use VZNavigator for even if you aren't navigating

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    And I was hoping it would be a sort of replacement for Google with location on, like the Bing that is being crammed down some users throats as a default search engine.

Device(s)
    LG enV3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless (NW+Canada)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mbdfahrer
    When I poked through the app store, I couldn't find anything but instead saw some of the stuff that they have on there. It was like walking through a "As Seen on TV" store in the mall. Most seem like pointless novelties that are barely worth downloading for free, let alone the prices they charge for it. Wild & Sexy Latinas Slideshow for $3.49 a month. Random video apps for $2.99 a month? Do people really buy these things?
    Now that I have an enV3, I was thinking what can I do with it, even though I don't have a data plan? So I looked at that app store. It's all crap. Asian Beauties? I'm sure that will be great on a 2 1/2" screen. Who buys this crap? Or weather for $3 per month? I can get weather for free on a PC or the radio. Why would I pay $3 per month for it?

Traffic reports might be useful (even though they're free on the radio every 10 minutes), but I didn't see any traffic apps.

Eh, I guess I'll just use it as a phone, to send text messages, and to play music.

Device(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1020
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat001
    Now that I have an enV3, I was thinking what can I do with it, even though I don't have a data plan? So I looked at that app store. It's all crap. Asian Beauties? I'm sure that will be great on a 2 1/2" screen. Who buys this crap? Or weather for $3 per month? I can get weather for free on a PC or the radio. Why would I pay $3 per month for it?

Traffic reports might be useful (even though they're free on the radio every 10 minutes), but I didn't see any traffic apps.

Eh, I guess I'll just use it as a phone, to send text messages, and to play music.
    My point exactly. Seems like 80% of the apps are just fluff to the store to make it look appealing . And the really sad part is not all of it is purchasable; there's a monthly subscription,

Device(s)
    Razr M
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    BING! one day a Bing icon appeared on my blackberry. at least you guys had a chance to decide if you wanted it or not.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksucks
    BING! one day a Bing icon appeared on my blackberry..
    This is what is confusing. The Bing on my desktop is just a competitor for Google with an emphasis on searching images. The Bing I dl'd to my phone is a tool that is supposed to search based on location, mainly searches for businesses, but it doesn't replace Google as a general search tool.
    What Bing was forced onto your BB? The search/image Bing or the location based business searching Bing?
    Couldn't the geniuses that created these programs come up with different names to clarify which is which?