Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 96

Thread: Nokia Q4 2009: Smartphone market share 40%, and 39% global market share

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    42
    Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0

    What applications?

    "Ovi Store, Nokia's one-stop shop for applications and content, continued to grow, with the store now attracting more than 1 million downloads a day."

    What exactly are people downloading, all those great movie clips? Some other compass or calculator? Perhaps another wifi finder. Blah.. If it weren't for Gravity and Profimail, I would have thrown my n97 against a wall a while ago.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    873
    Device(s)
    Moto Milestone (Telus), Nokia N82
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by baslanides
    "Ovi Store, Nokia's one-stop shop for applications and content, continued to grow, with the store now attracting more than 1 million downloads a day."

    What exactly are people downloading, all those great movie clips? Some other compass or calculator? Perhaps another wifi finder. Blah.. If it weren't for Gravity and Profimail, I would have thrown my n97 against a wall a while ago.
    Meanwhile Apple is past 3 billion downloads.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    42
    Device(s)
    Nokia N900
    Carrier(s)
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo
    Meanwhile Apple is past 3 billion downloads.

    I find that number to be rather ridiculous too, filled with many useless apps (It's a free country- so whatver). Plus they had a few years head start.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Queens, NewYork
    Posts
    8,253
    Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo
    Meanwhile Apple is past 3 billion downloads.
    ovi store is not as old as app store yet, i still think app store is much better but again ovi store is not as old at all only about 7 months i think.

    http://www.mobileperry.com/2010/01/o...-jan-2010.html
    Know The Truth and the Truth will set u free.
    John 8:32




    Winner of the 3rd Annual Hofies Awards in the catergories of

    "Friendliest s60 Hofo'er"-Gold Medal
    "Most helpful S60 Hofo'er" - Silver Medal
    "Most Interesting S60 Blog From a Member"-Silver Medal

    FreeBlaxx!!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,807
    Device(s)
    9700
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Also, keep in mind Nokia was absolutely brutal with job cuts this last quarter, which helps their bottom line, but could hurt development in the future.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    165
    Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    correct me if im wrong but the latest results are compared to the q3 results which i want to point out was the 1st time in a decade that nokia reported a loss so i dont see a big deal getting all excited about the q4 results.
    As for Nokia in 2009, versus Nokia in 2008, the company has 19.2% less sales, 50.2% less operating profit, and their operating margins shrank from a healthy 13.9% to single digits: 8.5%.Compared to 2008.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    536
    Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Operatinig profit was down because Simens, Nokia lost a ton of many in this department.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by POLO_011
    Who says Symbian and NOKIA are going??! well done NOKIA!
    Should i go gloat at other phone forums now? Nah, im happy for NOKIA and dont feel the need to raid a certain other forum with NOKIA THIS NOKIA THAT like people from there do here.
    Polo this is the thing. NONE of the people that are here bashing nokia are from other forums. All of us are from the S60 forum.

    I've visited the apple forum once in the past 8 months, and that was to see what they thought of the iPad yesterday.

    Anyway, all I'm looking for at MWC is an N97 refresh, hopefully with more than 128mb ram and a new version of symbian.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Queens, NewYork
    Posts
    8,253
    Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ap9580
    correct me if im wrong but the latest results are compared to the q3 results which i want to point out was the 1st time in a decade that nokia reported a loss so i dont see a big deal getting all excited about the q4 results.
    As for Nokia in 2009, versus Nokia in 2008, the company has 19.2% less sales, 50.2% less operating profit, and their operating margins shrank from a healthy 13.9% to single digits: 8.5%.Compared to 2008.
    what you say is true but the increase in market share is against direct competition and the reason why people are excited is because when they lost market share everyone was quick to point out how rim and apple and whoever are taking it from them. Well now they took some back against all odds it seems. Thats why this is posted and people got excited.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    165
    Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH#34
    what you say is true but the increase in market share is against direct competition and the reason why people are excited is because when they lost market share everyone was quick to point out how rim and apple and whoever are taking it from them. Well now they took some back against all odds it seems. Thats why this is posted and people got excited.
    Maybe its just me but I fail to see how is marketshare related to Nokia being non-competitive in the high end spectrum. I thought all the *****in and moaning was because the high end devices like the N96, N97 were not competitive enough.
    So now Nokia's marketshare goes up and people forget about the reason for their disappointment ! Reality is that there is still no high end phone (yet) that competes with the competion and that nokia is still in the same boat as they were prior to these results being announced.
    Am not trying to be a party pooper but just sharing my thoughts.
    Good luck to Nokia btw. Hopefully there is good stuff from all manufacturers @ MWC. More the competition,the better it is for the consumer

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Queens, NewYork
    Posts
    8,253
    Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ap9580
    Maybe its just me but I fail to see how is marketshare related to Nokia being non-competitive in the high end spectrum. I thought all the *****in and moaning was because the high end devices like the N96, N97 were not competitive enough.
    So now Nokia's marketshare goes up and people forget about the reason for their disappointment ! Reality is that there is still no high end phone (yet) that competes with the competion and that nokia is still in the same boat as they were prior to these results being announced.
    Am not trying to be a party pooper but just sharing my thoughts.
    Good luck to Nokia btw. Hopefully there is good stuff from all manufacturers @ MWC. More the competition,the better it is for the consumer
    Again i agree, this doesn't mean that, that all of a sudden the n97 is a world beater it, and they should sit on there laurels, as for the competition there is not alot of differences between devices and its a users choice based on needs.
    1 thing nokia does is make a phone thats a great phone over all, in terms of voice and rf, and sometimes people need that more than a nice app or a slick interface or a 3.5inch or 3.7 inch touch, some of use like buttons , some like touch, some like better cameras or expandable memory, or voice dial ect its all users needs and thats how it should be.
    I have had in the last 3 months the n900, iphone 3gs, bb 9700 samsung omnia hd, n86, e72 and to me and my needs the 9700 is probably the best of all the only reason i left it was because im not a big email guy and for me to spend $30 for data and not even need bis was stupid, for those that need it its well worth it.
    So you see my needs arent your needs and your needs arent the next guys and so on and so forth.

    I do think Nokia needs to revamp for sure no question about.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    450
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S2, Galaxy Notes
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo
    Meanwhile Apple is past 3 billion downloads.
    Does this 3 billion includes those "update" download?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    3,122
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mib1800
    Does this 3 billion includes those "update" download?
    No it does not.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Guam
    Posts
    3,544
    Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    0
    Credit goes where credit goes. A slew of new smartphone introductions (E52, E72, 5530, 5230, X6, Nokia N97 Mini, N900, plus a few others) help move Nokia out of tailspin for the moment (trouble not over yet) and its downsizing has helped. I do wonder how the loss of personnel in Nokia can affect it on the long run though.

    Motorola also did well---they moved over 2 million smartphones the last quarter thanks to you know who. To put it simply, Samsung moved 1.5 million smartphones on the 3rd quarter, which moved Samsung to fifth place over Fujitsu. Motorola could have displaced Samsung on this ranking.

    The one who didn't do as well, is the one who should have been---HTC. Literally, their sales were flat and their profits were down by 31%. Do note that HTC Android phones have been surging with web analytics everywhere, and everyone is pointing the culprit of this to Windows Mobile. Android is going up while Windows Mobile is going down, leading to a flat picture.

    Blackberry made their report already last December, to a tune of 10.1 million Blackberries delivered, 8.6 million the previous quarter.

    Apple also made their report, which is now at 8.7 million iPhones, 7.5 million the previous quarter.

    So the picture appears to be Symbian up, Blackberry up, Apple up, Android up, well that means someone has to go down, and its very likely that leaves Windows Mobile. As of the 3rd quarter, Gartner has them at 7.9%, and that slice of the pie is now up for grabs with the remaining four.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,096
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit
    Credit goes where credit goes. A slew of new smartphone introductions (E52, E72, 5530, 5230, X6, Nokia N97 Mini, N900, plus a few others) help move Nokia out of tailspin for the moment (trouble not over yet) and its downsizing has helped. I do wonder how the loss of personnel in Nokia can affect it on the long run though.

    Motorola also did well---they moved over 2 million smartphones the last quarter thanks to you know who. To put it simply, Samsung moved 1.5 million smartphones on the 3rd quarter, which moved Samsung to fifth place over Fujitsu. Motorola could have displaced Samsung on this ranking.

    The one who didn't do as well, is the one who should have been---HTC. Literally, their sales were flat and their profits were down by 31%. Do note that HTC Android phones have been surging with web analytics everywhere, and everyone is pointing the culprit of this to Windows Mobile. Android is going up while Windows Mobile is going down, leading to a flat picture.

    Blackberry made their report already last December, to a tune of 10.1 million Blackberries delivered, 8.6 million the previous quarter.

    Apple also made their report, which is now at 8.7 million iPhones, 7.5 million the previous quarter.

    So the picture appears to be Symbian up, Blackberry up, Apple up, Android up, well that means someone has to go down, and its very likely that leaves Windows Mobile. As of the 3rd quarter, Gartner has them at 7.9%, and that slice of the pie is now up for grabs with the remaining four.
    win mobile 6.5 is not that bad. when 7 comes out in 3-4 months, IT Will be a what symbian 4 is to that OS.

    HTC are not bad phones neither is WinMo, they have no US support of thier phones but they make awesome devices HD2
    Motorola Bravo (current) Dec/10-current
    Samsung Focus (gifted) Nov/10-Dec/10 00:00:30 [90.02]
    Motorla Flipout (sold) Oct/10 -Nov/10 ~NA:00:00 [87.01]
    Iphone 4G (returnd) Aug/10 - Oct/10 ~NA:00:00 [90.01]
    Motorla Milestone (stolen) May/10-Aug/10 ~30:00:00 [90.01]
    BB 9700 (sold) Mar/10-May/10 ~31:00:00 [85.71]
    htc Hd2 (sold) Jan/10-Mar/10 38:00:30 [89.01]
    HTC Hero (retired) Nov/09-Jan/10 50:57:58 [88.95]
    Nokia N97 (sold) Jun/09-Nov/09 48:59:30 [81.01]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks