Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Q4 2009: Smartphone market share 40%, and 39% global market share

Feedback Score
    Well, without knowing how many of them were E72s of course, 6.1 m people last quarter apparently found the screen resolutions in the E Series still acceptable.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Viipottaja
    Well, without knowing how many of them were E72s of course, 6.1 m people last quarter apparently found the screen resolutions in the E Series still acceptable.
    I'm sure they probably sold more E5Xs and E6Xs than E71/2s, but that's just a guess.

It's like that line from Tommy Boy, and I'll paraphrase it a little. You can throw crap in a box and slap a fancy label on it, and it'll sell. That's essentially what Nokia's doing these days.

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat26
    I'm sure they probably sold more E5Xs and E6Xs than E71/2s, but that's just a guess.

It's like that line from Tommy Boy, and I'll paraphrase it a little. You can throw crap in a box and slap a fancy label on it, and it'll sell. That's essentially what Nokia's doing these days.
    I know a few other companies doing things similar, but lets not go there.
    Few commercials and hype and its the greatest thing ever and im sure you know what i mean Jonny.
    Know The Truth and the Truth will set u free.
    John 8:32

Winner of the 3rd Annual Hofies Awards in the catergories of

"Friendliest s60 Hofo'er"-Gold Medal
    "Most helpful S60 Hofo'er" - Silver Medal
    "Most Interesting S60 Blog From a Member"-Silver Medal

FreeBlaxx!!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH#34
    I know a few other companies doing things similar, but lets not go there.
    Few commercials and hype and its the greatest thing ever and im sure you know what i mean Jonny.
    I completely agree... but I think Nokia is the worst offender in this category (cough E72... N97).

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat26
    I completely agree... but I think Nokia is the worst offender in this category (cough E72... N97).
    I will say this, if you are upgrading from a e71 dont do it, but if the e72 is your 1st device from nokia in that form factor ok.
    N97 if it had the n900 insides it would have been a beast.

Feedback Score
    At least in some past quarters E71 was actually the best selling E Series device (Nokia stated so itself in some of its quarterly earning report). My guess is that its still the case (E71s/E72s that is).

And yeah, if you already have an E71 not much reason to upgrade to E72 - unless one wants better pics I guess.

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    At least in some past quarters E71 was actually the best selling E Series device (Nokia stated so itself in some of its quarterly earning report). My guess is that its still the case (E71s/E72s that is).

And yeah, if you already have an E71 not much reason to upgrade to E72 - unless one wants better pics I guess.
    i never had the e71 i have the e72 only because of the 3.5 jack and the better camera and it actually has better video playback then my n97 and n86 had on bar with my 9700, wish it had the screen resolution of the 9700 and i wish the 9700 had the browser of the e72, i come to realize there isnt a perfect device just the one that suits you is whats perfect for you.

Device(s)
    Nexus One, Droid Incredible, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liknsmak
    Would you happen to know what the overall sales were for the hero? Just curious
    No specific number. But I heard from Digitimes that HTC sold around 6 million Android phones for the entire 2009. Motorola wants to outgun that number by moving at least 11 million Androids for the entire 2010---they moved Droid about a million a month on November and December.
    I am @guamguy on Twitter.

Feedback Score
    Now that Google butt ****ed Moto (and other Android users) with their Nexus, that's a tough target though.. for Moto's sake hope they can do it.

Feedback Score
    Now that Google butt ****ed Moto (and other Android users) with their Nexus, that's a tough target though.. for Moto's sake hope they can do it.
    Sanjay announced that motorola will be launching a phone through google in a similar fashion to the nexus one, so I wouldnt say they're being screwed by google.

I'm pretty sure the droid sells more than the nexus one, too.

Feedback Score
    Did not see that. Do you have a link? What do they mean "in a similar fashion"?

True, Droid could sell more given that its subsidized. Then again, Google's advertising of the Nexus is massive (and, frankly, annoying.. every f-ing webpage I go to has its ad probably due to my profile data somewhere of course)

Feedback Score
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/28/m...phone-through/

Following the Nexus One's lead, Jha said that it'll launch "at least one direct-to-consumer device with Google." That matches up nicely with a statement he made during our CES interview that "there will be multiple devices [launched through Google] and I think that we said 'yes' today that probably this next device is our device."
    And yeah google may advertise it on their webpages but that can't compete with verizon's multi-million dollar ad campaign. Most of my friends have heard of a "google phone." All of them know exactly what the droid is. Word of mouth cannot compete with traditional advertising right now, as we have seen year after year with NAM Nseries phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Follow up on the Samsung number of smartphones. There is an article in the WSJ now that says Samsung wants to triple their smartphone sales to 18 million for 2010. 18/3 means 6, as in six million total for 2009. Divided by four you get a mere 1.5 million quarterly sales, which is less than half of HTC's.

The fact that Motorola moved 2 million Droids in November and December of 2009 means Motorola would already have effectively bumped off Samsung from the top 5 in terms of recent quarterly figures, though not in overall yearly figures.

Another point to consider. Out of 8.7 million iPhones Apple sold in q4 2009, around 3 million may have been sold in the US. Considering that much of the 2 million Droids were sold in the US in two months of Q4 2009 and add to HTC's and Samsung's amounts on Android on that figure, Android maybe closing in on iPhone at least in the US.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH#34
    i never had the e71 i have the e72 only because of the 3.5 jack and the better camera and it actually has better video playback then my n97 and n86 had on bar with my 9700, wish it had the screen resolution of the 9700 and i wish the 9700 had the browser of the e72, i come to realize there isnt a perfect device just the one that suits you is whats perfect for you.

Opera Mini 5 beta is very nice on the Blackberry high resolution screen, and even the tiny fonts can be made distinctly.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO Pacific (HSDPA);
    Feedback Score
    According to Tomi Ahonen blog, Windows Mobile marketshare is now at 6%. The quarter before it was 7.9% according to Gartner. Last year 2008, it was 12 to 13%. That's what you call "being crushed". He predicts by the end of 2010, it will be at 3%.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...rter-2009.html

Tomi notes that total HTC phones sold for 2009 is estimated at 8 million. Yet according to Digitimes, HTC also shipped 6 million Androids for the whole of 2009.

http://droidtalk.net/motorola-poised...spot-from-htc/

...which means the remaining 2 million out of the 8 million are Windows Mobile.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast