Thread: Nokia Q4 2009: Smartphone market share 40%, and 39% global market share

Device(s)
    Nokia N8
    Feedback Score

Nokia Q4 2009: Smartphone market share 40%, and 39% global market share

Nokia just posted Q4 2009 results:

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1378204

Feedback Score
    Quite strong results. In smartphones, seems that the E Series (relatively high price points) and numbered series (relatively low prices points) are doing well/great, N Series (the highest prices points) still not doing great but at least stopped the worst bleeding it seems. Time to finally turn that around this and next year Nokia!

The Americas markets still in trouble. Only positive sign could the QonQ slight growth in volumes in the NAM.

Carrier(s)
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Come on Nokia, let's show something promising at MWC!

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    Pretty surprising results to me at least. Very strong smartphone sales there.

Bring some Symbian^3 love with OMAP3 inside in MWC Nokia! Best thing would be something new from Maemo side, but don't think so.

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it just shows that the sky is not falling as many people like to say. however i dont care if nokia sells a trillion smartphones in a quarter, that doesnt mean that their UI doesn't need to be fixed on touch screen phones.
    Current Device: Nexus One
    Phone History: |N97 Mini| |5800| |E71-2| |N95-4| |N95-3| |N75| |6131| |6230| |SE T616|

| My HoFo Feedback |

Device(s)
    N95-1 V21
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers That
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
    it just shows that the sky is not falling as many people like to say. however i dont care if nokia sells a trillion smartphones in a quarter, that doesnt mean that their UI doesn't need to be fixed on touch screen phones.
    Your right. Nokia only need to fix UI and some bugs on their symbian and they're good to go. According to symbian foundation wiki (which was updated 7 days ago)

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...mbian_Platform

S^2 should be here with handset in H1 2010 followed by S^3 in H2 2010 and finally S^4 handset will be in H1 2011 . The Symbian foundation promises new changes from S^2 and up such as new graphics design , SHAI , and most important is multicore processing . Also ,I think the devices with Symbian foundation OS will allowed to upgrade like from S^2 to S^3 because the close gap between each OS release which your are going to upgrade to new OS just like android , winmo. For more info check the link above my paragraph .

Feedback Score
    Yes the dissonance between the results and the often absurd Nokia bashing on these forums is rather amusing.

Still while the overall results are pretty good the N series sales have dropped quite sharply. Hopefully Nokia will get the message and pump out some top N-series devices and get back some of that N95 mojo.

Despite the rise of touch I think there is still quite a lot of life in the dual-slider N95 form factor. I would like to see an N87 with a state of the art camera with xenon along with 32GB internal storage plus card-slot and an FM transmitter. And while the N900 is a promising start, Nokia will have to raise the bar with N920 and Maemo6 if it wants to compete with the best Android phones.

Feedback Score
    Where's JonnnyCat to crush all of our hopes and dreams?
    I want to buy your Nokia E7.

HoFo Feedback (9+, 0-)

Device(s)
    Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by king601
    Your right. Nokia only need to fix UI and some bugs on their symbian and they're good to go. According to symbian foundation wiki (which was updated 7 days ago)

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...mbian_Platform

S^2 should be here with handset in H1 2010 followed by S^3 in H2 2010 and finally S^4 handset will be in H1 2011 . The Symbian foundation promises new changes from S^2 and up such as new graphics design , SHAI , and most important is multicore processing . Also ,I think the devices with Symbian foundation OS will allowed to upgrade like from S^2 to S^3 because the close gap between each OS release which your are going to upgrade to new OS just like android , winmo. For more info check the link above my paragraph .
    totally agree, i think the underlying symbian OS is still excellent. multitasking is great, they just need to make devices with double ram and next generation CPU, and symbian should be great. and take the top layer s60 UI and get rid of it and throw on Symbian^3 or ^4 or whatever their plans are.

Device(s)
    Current - Nexus One & N900 , sold - Jailbroken 3G 8gb / In drawer - Nokia N79
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The roadmap sounds promising....

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Wanna see N97 form factor return with some bleeding edge hardware, a great camera, xenon flash, optical zoom, and loads of storage.
    ---
    "No matter where you go, there you are."

Quote Originally Posted by sjhong
    The 3.5 inch touch screen, the 32Gb internal memory and the qwerty keyboard are features I can no longer live without.

Device(s)
    N95-1 V21
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers That
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerPodacter
    totally agree, i think the underlying symbian OS is still excellent. multitasking is great, they just need to make devices with double ram and next generation CPU, and symbian should be great. and take the top layer s60 UI and get rid of it and throw on Symbian^3 or ^4 or whatever their plans are.
    check the pdf link down0 here:

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/im...rm_Roadmap.pdf

to find more info about home-screen ui and other stuff . it very short to read or rather your looking at presentation . If you saw it , you will get the idea about S^2 and up features and thet are concentrating on multi-core processing management with also ui . I suspect Nokia will release multi-core devices with S^3 build on them and will have many features hopefully in mid 2010 if not earlier .

Device(s)
    Lumia 800, Iphone 4
    Feedback Score
    Nokia btw is starting a teaser for MWC most probally(hopefully there's something actual behind it for once ).
    http://countdown.symbian.org/ Previous numbers where 108, 61 and now 49.
    http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...ostcount=16292

Device(s)
    WHATEVER WORKS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100128/...kia_motorola_4

HELSINKI/NEW YORK (Reuters) – New models are helping Nokia and Motorola Inc recapture market share in smartphones but while Nokia is able to profit from the gains, Motorola predicted a loss in the current quarter.

Shares in top phone maker Nokia posted their biggest one-day gain in nine months on Thursday after it reported forecast-beating earnings, while Motorola shares fell more than 11 percent on its disappointing earnings outlook.

Nokia Oyj and U.S. Motorola -- who together dominated the mobile industry just a few years ago -- have been hurt by Apple's iPhone and Blackberry-maker Research in Motion eating a major share of this fatter margin business.

Both firms have responded by shrinking their phone portfolios: Nokia has halved its smartphone launch plans for 2010, and Motorola co-chief executive Sanjay Jha is betting that Android smartphones will turn around the company.

Analysts said the only clear market share loser among top smartphone vendors was Apple, which sold 8.7 million iPhones in the quarter, missing analysts forecasts. Shares in Apple slipped 3.6 percent.

Motorola turned to a small quarterly profit in the holiday sales-fueled fourth quarter versus a deep loss a year earlier, helped by sales of 2 million smartphones.

The U.S. firm's new models include a Droid phone, based on Google Inc Android software, which was marketed heavily by top U.S. mobile service Verizon Wireless.

Motorola forecast a first-quarter loss of 1 cent to 3 cents a share compared with analysts' average estimate of a 3-cent profit, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S. Co-Chief Executive Sanjay Jha said the company would be hit by heavy expenses to launch new smartphones.

"They almost have to do what Palm did 2 years ago - a complete revamp of their portfolio," said Alan B. Lancz, president of wealth management firm Alan B. Lancz & Associates, which holds Nokia stock.

The weak outlook sent Motorola shares 11.5 percent lower at $6.55 by 1645 GMT, while Nokia shares closed 9.9 percent higher -- its biggest one-day gain since April 2 last year -- at 9.91 euros in Helsinki. Over the last 12 months Motorola stock has gained 60 percent while Nokia has shed 6 percent.

"Expectations (for Nokia) were so low most of the risk was taken out of it," Lancz added.

Nokia said its market share in smartphones rose to 40 percent from 35 percent in the previous quarter, as it rolled out models like the N97 mini, flagship music phone X6, and a Linux-software based N900.

NOKIA BEATS FORECASTS

Nokia said the cellphone market returned to growth, after four straight quarters of shrinking, up 8 percent from a year ago.

Nokia's underlying fourth-quarter earnings per share of 0.25 euros beat all expectations in a Reuters poll, which ranged from 0.15 to 0.24 euros.

"In the fourth quarter the demand environment for handsets ended up being better than we anticipated and we took advantage of this upside," Nokia Chief Executive Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo told investors.

Stong demand from emerging markets helped Nokia to sell 127 million phones in the quarter, above all analysts forecasts.

S&P Equity Research upgraded Nokia stock to buy from hold.

"These are really mind-blowing results," said analyst Thomas Langer from WestLB.

"However, I think there is definitely a risk one gets over excited -- the challenges in the smartphone markets will become obvious to everybody, and we think the competition will intensify throughout the year," Langer said.

Nokia said revenues from smartphones jumped 26 percent from the previous quarter to 3.9 billion euros. Average smartphone prices dipped to 186 euros from 190 euros in the third quarter as the firm tries to win back customers with simpler, cheaper smartphones.

The results cap a tough year for the cellphone makers, which have been hammered as consumers cut spending in the recession.

Nokia Chief Financial Officer Timo Ihamuotila told Reuters TV there was still reason for cautiousness.

"Regarding (the) economy we are not out of the woods yet... consumer confidence is still fragile," he said.

Nokia forecast for its phone unit operating profit margin to fall toward 12 percent in the first quarter, from 15.4 percent in the December quarter.

Last week, Sony Ericsson warned a recovery in the cellphone market could be slower than many expected as it reported its seventh straight quarterly operating loss.

Samsung Electronics, the world's second-biggest mobile phone maker, is expected to report on Friday higher phone sales, but lower margins than in the previous quarter.

Higher marketing costs likely weighed, and uncertainties remain as to how it will compete with smartphone leaders.
    Know The Truth and the Truth will set u free.
    John 8:32

Winner of the 3rd Annual Hofies Awards in the catergories of

"Friendliest s60 Hofo'er"-Gold Medal
    "Most helpful S60 Hofo'er" - Silver Medal
    "Most Interesting S60 Blog From a Member"-Silver Medal

FreeBlaxx!!

Device(s)
    Huawei P30 Pro 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    VodaCom
    Feedback Score
    Who says Symbian and NOKIA are going??! well done NOKIA!
    Should i go gloat at other phone forums now? Nah, im happy for NOKIA and dont feel the need to raid a certain other forum with NOKIA THIS NOKIA THAT like people from there do here.
    Samsung GALAXY Note 4 32GB +128GB MicroSDXC Charcoal Black
    Apple iPad 4 WIFI+4G LTE 16GB White
    "World can't hold me, too much ambition."Jay-Z

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast