Thread: Europe phones on Voicestream?

Unregistered Guest

Question Europe phones on Voicestream?

Question: Say I'm in the UK and pickup an Ericsson t39m (unlocked) could I drop my voicestream sim in it and expect it to work? Would there be things that would NOT work?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: Europe phones on Voicestream?

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Question: Say I'm in the UK and pickup an Ericsson t39m (unlocked) could I drop my voicestream sim in it and expect it to work? Would there be things that would NOT work?

Thanks!
    If it's a tri-band phone i.e. works on 900/1800/1900 it should work provided that the phone is *unlocked* and will accept a VoiceStream SIM. That said if you need any help from VoiceStream such as function questions you'd be on your own as they evidently don't "support" that phone even though it in most probability will work.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Siemens S40
    Feedback Score
    You need to have your SIM unlocked for Global Roaming. You have to call VS at least 48 hours before leaving, they run some additional checks and then SMS you w/ the unlock. Once that's done you can put your SIM in any phone that works in Europe or Asia. Make sure to check VS's website for Global Roaming Rates. You'll want to pick the cheapest carrier based on your useage (they differ by each country).

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score

Re: SIM unlocked

Originally posted by tribandjunky
    You need to have your SIM unlocked for Global Roaming. You have to call VS at least 48 hours before leaving, they run some additional checks and then SMS you w/ the unlock. Once that's done you can put your SIM in any phone that works in Europe or Asia. Make sure to check VS's website for Global Roaming Rates. You'll want to pick the cheapest carrier based on your useage (they differ by each country).
    I believe some of the information you have is not quite right. The actual SIM itself is not locked. What is locked is the phone/handset itself. Any GSM phone can have any SIM in it. To keep customers from "jumping ship" many providers lock their handsets so you cannot use another competitor's SIM in their phone. The only way to use another SIM is for the handset to be unlocked so you can use another SIM. The best way to unlock a handset is to get the unlock code from the provider. Again, it is the phone itself and not the SIM that determines whether a SIM will work in a particular phone.

Device(s)
    Siemens S40
    Feedback Score
    I guess you're right about this SIM vs. the phone. I started out with the 7389 and got it "unlocked" just after buying it. I figured that since I already had a tri-band phone it would work, they just had to activate my account (SIM) rather than unlock the phone. If I recall, I did have to get my account activated to make calls to Europe as well.

At least it's still good advice about checking the website for rates ;-)

-doug